It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BAE Systems Saberliner collides with Cessna; 5 dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
A BAE Systems Saberliner executive jet, on a mission for the US Navy collided with a Cessna 172 over Brown Field Municipal Airport. The Cessna was doing touch and gos at the time. According to the evidence the planes were travelling in opposite directions, and their right wings clipped. The Cessna, which only had the pilot on board, crashed east of State Route 125, and started a fire. The Saberliner crashed about a quarter mile away, also starting a fire.

There were four people on board the Saberliner, which was supposed to be evaluating a radar system at China Lake. Three of the dead on board were identified as Carlos Palos, John Kovach, and Jeff Percy. The fourth was a military contractor, and was not released yet. The pilot of the Cessna has not been identified.

OTAY MESA — An early investigation into the fatal midair plane collision Sunday, which killed five people, indicate the planes have have clipped wings as they passed in opposite directions over Otay Mesa, officials said Monday.

National Transportation Safety Board investigator Andrew Swick said an analysis of impact marks suggest the right wing of a Sabreliner jet collided with the right wing of a smaller aircraft about two miles northeast of Brown Field Municipal Airport. The left wings of both planes were still intact.

The incident is still under investigation with the NTSB, which plans to send all wreckage to Arizona for further analysis and reconstruction of the aircrafts.

www.sandiegouniontribune.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Guess the radar evaluation wasn't too good then. Sorry.
edit on 17-8-2015 by Wide-Eyes because: RIP

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
And you guys thought being a radar designer for the MIC was safe.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Crap

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Well keep your head down out there... Or eyes peeled, in this case, I suppose

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: _Del_
a reply to: Bedlam

Well keep your head down out there... Or eyes peeled, in this case, I suppose

In a weird sort of turn of events, while I am not real familiar with these guys I am pretty sure I've run into Carlos, they're on a different project area here in fabulous Kern County, a thing the article wasn't real clear about. IIRC, I've maybe run into him at Laughlin as well.

Small world. Eeesh.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Zaphod58

Guess the radar evaluation wasn't too good then. Sorry.

Got to have some black humor mate, I'm sure they would raise a glass to you for that one when the dust settles. Oops sorry also.

I worked one the Captor Radar test bed for Eurofighter:

(anyone know how to post pics without it being in your library)?

There were at times, me included, a few more than 4 aboard, a BAC 1-11....

link

Tragic, it seems someone *****ed up major here, whilst the outcome wont be of any help to the deceased and their families may it prevent future accidents. RIP

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Thank you for taking that the way it was intended. I would expect no less on my demise. Condolences to the families affected by this tragedy.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Photobucket, then copy the img link here.

new topics

top topics

join