It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Augmented Reality Sandbox....WTF??? May be the coolest thing I have ever seen....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
You won't see ME for day's!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
for those who are interested , studies were recently done to find out why people were getting nauseous after playing in virtual reality for a while I think a couple of hours and they started feeling sickly.

The study revealed that the reason for the sickness was due to our brains having no fixed point for reference , in the real world that fixed point of reference is our own nose.
We know its there and we can see it but when looking through both eyes its almost as if its not there to give us a nice view of the world.
So they made virtual noses which helped gamers get over the nauseous feeling Virtual Nose

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
That was wild. Did they say that was a program someone wrote for their xbox? I want it too lol.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I recently finished the audiobook Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and narrated by Wil Wheaton. It was set in a future dystopian world where the biggest form of entertainment was the Oasis, a massive and fully interactive virtual reality similar to MMOs and Second Life. A lot of the technology to access this world is talked about here in this thread from the headsets to full suits and gloves that allow for the user to feel what is happening in the virtual world. There are references to the tech being developed now as being the beginnings of this game world which, by the way, happens to be free to play.

It does show a very good possibility about how it will be used to get away from and almost ignore the real world entirely. I can see that happening as portrayed simply because you can do anything or be anyone other than yourself in the Oasis.

All of the 80s trivia and references helped make the book fairly relatable for me too. If you haven't read or listened to it, I'd recommend it for sure. I'm about to start it over again after I'm finished with my current book.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Shaker

Do we get infinite respawns? lol

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Awesome!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lostmymarbles
That was wild. Did they say that was a program someone wrote for their xbox? I want it too lol.

Yes, it should be a fairly simple program. Configure the Kinect to look at a certain area, and calculate the distance of various objects, then you simply illuminate different distances with different colors.

It looks to me based on how it behaved when people pushed sand that it's storing the map as an array of lines, so the Kinect calculates a line, updates that position in the array, and then the projector draws the entire array. Based on update speed on the video it looks like it takes around 10 seconds to go through the array, and the array itself is probably drawn 24 times per second.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Do we get infinite respawns? lol

One account per person, one avatar, if it dies I got the impression you started at level 1 again, but I could be wrong.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Uugh.. i hate perma character death. its such a pain.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
*sigh*

Were are my VR goggles that beam the digital reality directly onto my retinas? I'm not talking google glass or Microsoft's new gizmo..I'm talking an immersive and all-consuming "V-World" complete with haptic gloves to touch/manipulate the virtual world?

As it stands right now you have these dorky, bulky Samsung and Occulus headsets that you put a smart phone into, and the accelerometer and gyroscopes do the head tracking. Wow, it's 2015 and that's the best we can do? Strap a smart phone to your face? Really?

And there is this:
www.getameta.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Im really just waiting for the world to announce that we have the worlds first working cyber brain implant which allows you to override your conscious reality for a virtual one in your head like a waking dream state - ghost in the shell , any other manga which references this way before the matrix was even written or any other classic cyberpunk pen n paper RPG

So yeh as soon as a scientist creates this your going to get a whole bunch of black market back street cyber augmentation clinics where people go install their cyber implants so they can Jack into the network and go into fully immersive virtual mode.

I say its only 20 years off maybe even sooner

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join