It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Augmented Reality Sandbox....WTF??? May be the coolest thing I have ever seen....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I agree completely.
I find this very gimmicky without tactile stimulation, limiting it to commercial and cosmetic applications but it's a start. I can imagine walking through the mall with these glasses and having advertisements, banners, location indicators, flashy things in my face as I take off the glasses and smash them. But some uses will be great - facial recognition, mapping, information displays, highlighting.

The femtosecond laser tech I hope gets more advanced quickly but not sure how certain situations will even work. Touchable holograms created will be heavily limited by all this extra equipment at the moment, it almost seems a waste of time in most cases or very selective to use/function.

Obviously the ultimate goal would be to create a solid state virtual place but after watching Star Trek years ago there system may look sexy but it's not possible. You can't explore an area larger then the envelope your creating in. Just because the virtual world looks limitless doesn't mean the real world it's created in isn't. This may be easily remedied for one person in such a space with tricky programming, but not for multiple persons. It's this problem I feel the industry will head in a more 'matrix-like' direction I.e. total emersion virtual reality when it comes to things like this.

We'll just have to wait and see. . .

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
Obviously the ultimate goal would be to create a solid state virtual place but after watching Star Trek years ago there system may look sexy but it's not possible.

The Star Trek system is possible given enough energy. The way their system worked is that each person essentially saw a different hologram and they used technology to cancel out the forces on a person while simulating that they were moving forward. It would be like sliding backwards while taking a step forward.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

4 people are in a holodeck on the Enterprise. The holodeck room is 20' x 20' x 20' empty.

The program is an open field, they all stand facing each other in the center. Each starts walking backward, torward the corners diagonally. Eventually after moving a certain distance, say 50-60 feet away, they will in essence just be walking in place now.
Since the actual people are NOT holograms how does the computer compensate for perspective? Remember the people are not part of the program, just in it, but if they are getting farther and farther away from each other they must appear to be getting smaller and smaller, but they are not moving because the limits of the room are 20'.

Unless they get digitized (live timing) and virtually cloaked from sight and replaced virtually for each observer, this would be impossible to do. And if I remember correctly the federation didn't have cloaking technology.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Some of you would be digging in there and pull up a cat poop

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum
Lol not everything in Star Trek is explained. There's theory behind some of it, at least. I agree the holodeck idea is a stretch. I don't know my science well enough to judge it, but I bet if they hand the capacity to program matter the way the holodeck implies (given they could actually interact physically with the holodeck and be killed) they'd have access to massive amouns of energy, so much that it'd trivialize everything about the show. Why, for example, do they even need bodies? With the capacity to manipulate matter the way the holodeck implies, it seems they could have any body they want to. With so much energy invested merely for entertainment, you would think they'd use it for other things!!!

IMHO, a more realistic "holodeck" would be nanobots existing in our body which hack our senses and feed us a different reality while keeping the body in a hibernating or resting state. So whatever see/smell/test/hear/touch is fed to us by the "holodeck" via the nanobots. Like hte matrix movies, probably. Problem is while it seems more realistic, it might not seem realistic 300 years from now!!! Maybe 300 years from now our ideas about how the holodeck would work will be quaint
edit on 19-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Part of a hologram is the bending of light, it would be trivial with that type of technology to bend the light coming off of a person so that they appear to be moving away, just put an invisible lens between the two people.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Lol not everything in Star Trek is explained. There's theory behind some of it, at least. I agree the holodeck idea is a stretch. I don't know my science well enough to judge it, but I bet if they hand the capacity to program matter the way the holodeck implies (given they could actually interact physically with the holodeck and be killed) they'd have access to massive amouns of energy, so much that it'd trivialize everything about the show. Why, for example, do they even need bodies? With the capacity to manipulate matter the way the holodeck implies, it seems they could have any body they want to. With so much energy invested merely for entertainment, you would think they'd use it for other things!!!

They basically have unlimited energy, and have mastered the process of converting energy to matter, they can also convert matter to energy.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

My friend bought the new Samsung rig that has some of the Occulus tech in I guess.

It's 2015 and we can't do better than strap a smart phone to our heads? We can't beam images directly into our retinas?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   

They use micro force fields, so you basically walk in place in the holodeck.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Oh this is nothing...ugh golly Cass Croe if only I could remember what the heck it is called. But on YouTube I saw a few promo videos of what is hyped to be the next big video game system. And all I can remember is that your environment is where the game is played and in the demo, holographs of like...a bird flew and landed on the table by the player then...ugh anyone help? It looks amazing and will pretty much put the game into your very living room

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Oh nice Indigo5, you thought of this a page ago. I saw a different demo myself but yes, it was the Magic Leap shstem/company/game not really sure WHAT it is.

I also remember something so cool, a related video also showed a technology with infinite possibilities I'm sure if people like we have here at ATS have any say in it seeing how creative a lot of you are and I hope, a lot of people working with this technology are. But it is a glasses-free naked-eye hologram system.

At the moment it is being used at its most rudimentary levels not yet to entertain, but to keep people healthy. Buildings in Korea or Japan, I forget where it is being developed, are being fit with holographic switches, flushers, sink faucets, etc so for example instead of touching a nickel fixture after a public pee pee, you turn a holographic knob or flip a switch. This gets rid of the need for those motion detector ones too which I can't stand since it seems I'm always frantically waving my hands all over the sink area never able to trigger the water. If I finally do luck out and hit it, I get a two second spurt before it fails and I try to find that exact spot again. Grrr. Where it REALLY blew my mind (or where my absolutely idiotic understanding of what I read regarding science is gonna really embarrass me here) is that I think the big fancy words and star trek explanation boiled down to the thing I thought was incredible about this otherwise obvious future use of holograms is that somehow the holograms were so advanced that they were detected by our tactile senses. In other words, somehow this faucet switch which looked real but was visually an illusion, when touched with the finger had sensation and even gave resistance when flipped like a normal switch.

Now looking back it may not have even been a video related to Magic Leap where I saw this...in fact I wouldn't be confused if that were the case. I must have READ about it in an article I guess. I never can recall anything I want to cite here on ATS which is a real shame since there are some awesome things I've wanted to share with you all and also some things I think ATS is the only place I have the courage to come ask you all to help me understand some things I can't quite wrap my head around since although there's a chance of being harassed and laughed at here, asking for help somewhere like UTube is just begging to be torn down as a person lol it's brutal there.

Anyway, if anyone else has heard of this technology lemme know. Imagine if you could walk through a Kings Quest or Monkey Island adventure game and bend down to pick up a sword and both see the sword in your hand and feel a cylindrical sensation as you tightened your grip. Even if I AM right and the article did indeed mean what I think, that soon you could feel a hologram, I think feeling a sword hilt in your grip would be half a century down the road but cool to brainstorm.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Wow! Now that is the future of video games!

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Actually one of those techs i saw in the vid i told people to search for on youtube actualy does allow tactile usage. actually 2 techs in that vid allow some form or tactile feedback.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Which video or post are you talking about, I'd love to see it.

To everyone:
I was being silly in that last post deliberately. I belong to the school of thought that anything is possible but as designers we usually travel the path of least resistance. I don't foresee a holodeck ever being created or a transporter either for similar reasons. What I do foresee is something similar to both but much less technically evasive.

On that note, my oh my, what I could think of doing with unlimited energy at my fingertips. Probably wouldn't make for a good tv show though!

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
a reply to: Vasa Croe

This is just the begining!

Augmented Reality is going to transform everything and with touchable holograms you've got the start of a holodeck!

Ever think we may already in an augmented reality?

An augmented reality within an augmented reality.....chew on that one. lol

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

You should go look at one of the threads I did last year, best info on ats is all linked from it. It's called "Simulated Universe, if it's true what's next!"

Simulated Universe, if it's true what's next!
edit on 8/19/2015 by AnteBellum because: add link

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

My friend bought the new Samsung rig that has some of the Occulus tech in I guess.

It's 2015 and we can't do better than strap a smart phone to our heads? We can't beam images directly into our retinas?

"We can't beam images directly into our retinas? "

That is near precisely what "Magic Leap" is doing and why Google gave them 500 Million.

It affords them to drop "real" things into your visual field with such high-fidelity that they are literally indistinguishable from reality.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Also, just a primer..

Augmented Reality is inserting things via a head worn device...See through glasses...that afford you to mix reality with virtual things, objects or information.

Virtual Reality is all immersive recreating a full reality...non-see through head-worn device.

The Samsung rig is a compromise to the Oculus Rift. It is essentially something to iterate on in the mobile space. I highly recommend trying the Oculus Rift when it released next year. You quickly forget you are wearing something on your head and the "Presence" (degree to which your brain validates reality) is astounding.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Actually one of those techs i saw in the vid i told people to search for on youtube actualy does allow tactile usage. actually 2 techs in that vid allow some form or tactile feedback.

I watched the video, one of them is a company I'm familiar with actually, a few of my friends work at it. What is being presented isn't tactile feedback in the sense that people are talking about. In those videos what you can see people using are props basically, such as holding a model gun to replicate the gun your character is holding. That can then be tracked and used. That sort of system has been around for a long time, I remember the old VIrtual Reality demos back in the early 90's that were doing that even. What people are referring to is being able to touch a hologram or AR object and feel that you're touching it, we're a long way off from that. Last I was aware, there are some rudimentary systems that can put pressure on your hands as if you're touching an object, but they can't stop your hands from moving, the hardware to do so is a bit too bulky and heavy, and there's safety concerns with it (if the gloves lock up and you can't take them off it would be bad).

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ADVISOR
Really cool!

Augmented interactive reality is fun, and my newest fix is from Ingress.

Check it out on Google app store, click to watch video and check sound, great storyline.
Must say, it's better than I first thought it would be. Very addictive be careful.

It's in my opinion that the next generation of gamers will be a VR augmented reality style player.

As it is already here at our current technology levels, rapid advancement will create new breed of MMO RPGs.

Great thread, thank you for sharing.

Thats all I need...yet another useless yet highly entertaining time-sink.

*sigh*

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join