It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Was an Idiot With My Debit Card

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
So, I called the local police and talked to them.
There's nothing that they can do because a crime wasn't committed just attempted and the bank says that all they know is that it originated online.
They said that I could file a report. Well, big deal!

None of that sounded right but I didn't have time to argue.
The card is cancelled so....

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Dont use a debit card for anything online. Only use a full on credit card. They can empty your bank account and you are out the full amount without recourse. With a credit card you may lose about 50 bucks max if you report it as soon as you find out about fradulent use

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
How exactly were you an idiot with your debit card? After reading the OP, I have failed to ascertain the mistake you made. But I don't know a lot about this stuff, so, teach me!

edit on 8/19/2015 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Well, first, thanks for asking!
I used my card at a "pay at the pump". I used it as a debit card and entered my PIN. I prefer to use it as a debit card so that the money comes out of the account automatically. I do not like using it as credit because it can take up to three days or more to be deducted. I keep only a certain amount in my checking account and transfer money once a week or so.
Since this situation I have learned of a lot of ways that criminals can "steal" your info. For example, I was never aware of a card reader that could be attached to gas pumps and left for a week or so and then retrieved at a later date with all of the information for all of the cards used at that pump.
Also, WE have handed our kids our cards and being that we live in a smaller town, never once thought about THEM being targeted. They use our cards all of the time. I think from now on, I will just get them pre paid cards. The one's you get from Wal Mart.
So, maybe I wasn't exactly an "idiot" necessarily, but I certainly was lazy...I am not a dumb person and should have realized that even where I live we are not excused from crimes like identity theft, card readers on pumps, and all of that.
So, I suppose the mistake I made was not guarding my personal information in this day and age.

ETA: I went back and read again...The other stores that I had been to I had NOT used it as debit so...had there been a sneaky staff person, they could have very easily gotten the number from the front of the card. We were at the mall a few times and the kids were distracting, it was busy, I very easily could have NOT seen someone getting those numbers whether from a camera phone or above camera...or whatever they use...
I was just distracted...I never really pay attention.
You know, it's kind of the same thing when we are out to eat. The server brings the bill. You put your card in the little black book. They leave then they come back. What did they do with the card while they were gone?
edit on 20-8-2015 by TNMockingbird because: add info

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join