It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Holy Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit Doesn't Make Sense

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This idea doesn't make sense to me. Can someone make it make sense to me?

I've asked many Christians and Catholics. I'm sure it exist in other traditions as well so maybe there is actually an explanation that makes sense but I haven't heard it yet.

Does anyone else not get it?

edit on 8/17/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
No
It doesn't make any sense
In fact it's crazy to even consider and unbelievable.

Yet it is a fundamental belief of Christianity and believers are called to believe by faith, not logic.

This is a mystery

But try the light globe scenario

God is the globe, Christ the light, the spirit the heat, three unique projections of one

And even that's inadequate at best

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I don't get that, but it's irrelevant anyways, IMO. There is nothing outside of our CREATOR. Make the world and YOUR reality as YOU will.
edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Three omniscient and omnipresent personalities existing as one unit, sharing the same essence. Its like light. Light is composed of the calorific, luminescent, cant remember what the third component was.

Does that help?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Start first from the teaching about the Incarnation, that Christ is both God and man.
Historically, the teaching about the Trinity was developed as a consequence of that.
So until you have accepted the doctrine of the Incarnation, there is no point in getting into explanations about the Trinity.
If you are genuinely curious about the subject, that's the place to start.

P.S. God and man; The meaning of Incarnation

edit on 17-8-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It is said by some the so called Trinity is that of Father Mother and Son as in the Ancient Egyptian system of Osiris Isis and Horus

But the female aspect was was purposefully changed later in Christianity as the female aspect was considered too powerful and dangerous to a Patriarchal system

Dante a 1300 Italian poet and Christian spoke of the female aspect embodied in Mary saying that all are born through the female aspect (Including Jesus) ... he was branded a heretic but is revered by Italians even the present Pope has sung his praises

edit on 17-8-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Think of a cube. It is a solid single object. The cube is made up of three parts. The length. The width. The height. One would never say that the width is the height. Or the height is the length. They are separate. But together, they are one object. Each separate, but one.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: HappyObserver

Yes 3 is a special number
Past present future
You require 3 points of reference to determine distance
We live in a 3D world etc

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
My two cents: not all people who believe in the Christ, believe in the trinity *points at himself*

I believe in a Father and Son whom utilize the Spirit as a way to communicate with us who are not of Spirit. In other words the Spirit is a "what" not a "who". The bible has been perverted to say what it is not. And no, they are not all 3 as 1, they are 1 because they are all part of the Father. In other words if two people are in agreement, we say they are as 1, but they are still individuals with independent thought. The Spirit is nothing more than a conduit that allows communication to the Father, since no one and nothing but Christ has seen the Father. I suspect the Spirit also transfers His likeness as well, not that we could ever comprehend what that actually means, since spiritual matters are quite beyond us until we're brought to that plane of understanding.

Personally I detest most Christians and just because I believe in the Christ, does not make me a so-called "Christian". Christians have defiled that name. Just to add insult to injury, belief in Christ is NOT a religion, it is a way of life. In its most fundamental form, it is a philosophy and nothing more.

Of course all of this is my opinion/belief, so you can take it with a grain of salt.
edit on 17-8-2015 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
This idea doesn't make sense to me. Can someone make it make sense to me?

I've asked many Christians and Catholics. I'm sure it exist in other traditions as well so maybe there is actually an explanation that makes sense but I haven't heard it yet.

Fairy tales don't make sense.

It is just make believe.

That work for you?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The reason it doesn't make sense is because it isn't biblical...

The Trinity is late-fourth century, having been passed into law during the Nicene Council in C.E. 381. But the idea predates this and even predates Christianity, though in various forms. In other words, the Christians didn't invent it, they glommed it. And some say they butchered it, as well.
The concept of a Trinitarian godhead harkens from Egypt, and is also part of the Hindu godhead. Both cultures had heavily influenced Roman thought by the time the Trinitarian disputes came about, but by then, Egypt was an important center of Christian power. To try to develop a Trinitarian concept of deity from Hebrew Scripture is a stretch, at best, and even to develop it from Christian scripture is sketchy. When Erasmus published his New Testament, people objected that it did not have any passages which teach the Trinity, so he introduced, on very flimsy evidence, I John 5:7:
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

More here. Though admittedly, there are better, and more scholarly sources. This was a quick search.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Interestingly, if you look back in the Gnostic Gospels, the original "holy trinity" was actually the Father, the Mother and the Son. This was conveniently left out and re-written when Christian teachers and religious and political leaders of the time started strongly encouraging their particular brand of ultra religious patriarchy at the Council of Nicaea.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Billions of us.
But it truly serves no purpose to ask unless you're genuinely curious.

I'd also agree with Klassified, that it's a later addition to the Canon.
Otherwise the Jews had no idea what they were talking about...

& if that's the case the whole idea is moot.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Have you tried asking a priest?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
In life we Love..this love that we are experiencing is God..His son is forgiveness, a gift to mankind. Love cannot survive without it. The spirit is the witness that bears witness to truth, our teacher, the still voice that guides us, if we listen.

Anything we know to be Love in our life ..that "feeling" , even standing on a mountain top in awe ..to petting a cat, loving a dog, giving flowers to your mother etc.. that is us experiencing God. We are him/she..in us.

Our life is a walk and a talk with something very real. the Spirit is our testimony of all we ever did with love and how long we took forgiveness in as company into our life's. did we crucify forgiveness ? we are living an eternal story in our life in time.

Some argue that Jesus lived or didn't. or even that God doesn't care or exist.
when all along we are God and face Jesus on a daily , through our experiences with or without Love.

You know what people usually have in common inside Near Death Experiences?
Feelings.

How is that possible without a body?
because what we are on the other side is Love, that eternal part of us that animates us in this timeline.

So in the end ..we are standing with . Our witness . God. Jesus.

and again. who is Jesus? "Forgiveness" ..Just a demonstration of Gods Forgiveness, nothing more. and for us to ever know forgiveness through our experiences here in our life time, same person..same. same. eternally Jesus..in all our experiences of any kind of forgiveness.

all in real time..in the now..still waiting for him to come back in the clouds? lol

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Here's what I've been thinking for a few years now

the Father is what Buddhists would call the Ground of Being

the Son represents our human nature

the Holy Spirit represents Wisdom, to put the "Father" into action in Us, to Live Love as we are now

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I actually get it. I believe in a "trinity" of sorts and the mechanism is similar. Think of a hand with three fingers. Each finger has a separate function yet they are all used to pick up things and operate as a whole.

In the case of Christianity, it's more like "authority", "arbitrage", and "agency" (Yahweh, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, respectively). In mine, it's more cyclical but all three are present in fluctuation at any given time.

This is why many believe the Holy Trinity was an adaptation of surrounding pagan beliefs. It fits well within their mythology so it's still around today even though you never see the explicit reference to it (as a singular concept) in the Christian bible.

Also, think of the Holy Spirit as a "mother" or the Christian goddess, if that helps. The words used by Jesus were of feminine denotation (or in some cases "neutered").

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Would Father, Son, and Mother make more sense? You can't have a Son without a Father and Mother. Christianity is misogynistic, it replaced the Mother with another male entity.

Father - Spirit

Mother - Body

Son - Image

We are the Son, the image of light that is created when the Body and Spirit come together in the womb at conception. No wonder Earth is in such chaos right now, misogynistic cults have convinced everyone that our body is evil and not worth loving.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I like your explanation.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

To correct my initial post, these are the three properties of visible light.

1)Actinic: Neither seen nor felt; akin to the Father.

2)Calorific: is felt in the form of heat, but not seen; akin to the Holy Spirit.

3)Luminiferous: is both seen and felt; akin to the Son.

This is just an illustration of how three separate properties create one trinitarian unit.

More info and scriptural support for the Trinitarian concept here.

edit on 17-8-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: link added

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join