It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For American Citizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2003 @ 09:01 AM
link   
www.workingforchange.com...

go and sign the petition.

posted on Jun, 8 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Before I clicked your link, I was expecting to find something anti-system.
I was wrong. The petition is common sense.

I don't think we've advanced politically enough to rely on computers for elections. Especially after what happened in Florida.
Psychologically, people are not going to trust a computer over a pen and paper for years to come.
I don't see there being that much of a difference between the ease with which bits of paper compared to computer readouts can be defrauded but I'll be damned if I would want another thing that could make me suspicious of my society because of it's psychological impact.

I'm not a US citizen. I'm UK. But if ever our government tried to do the same to us in the near future I would be the first to sign up to a petition of that type.

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   
My state has used computer touch screens for a while and I voted in the 2000 election on a touch screen. Its flawless compared to the old paper ballots use in Fla. in the 2000 election. Once the polls are closed, the votes are stored on memory cards and are unknown to the election officials. In fact no one knows until they are downloaded and can't be tampered with.

This obviously threatens people who depend upon other than legal election activities. I think the biggest problem they have with touch screens are the amount of fraud they will eliminate.

1 Only one vote can be cast in each race.
2 No one can place 3 ballots under the stylus.
3 In a recount, no one can bring in a shoe box full of pre-marked ballots.
4 Its easier to keep track of voters so they vote only once at their correct precinct.

I think those are 4 pretty good reasons why certain political activist would want to keep the old paper ballot system. I'll even bet these are the same people who bitched about the "butterfly" ballots to begin with. Well, here's your fix. Get with the program. A lot of the US has used these for years without incident.

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Nope, I can trust a machine with no political intentions and belifes. Its easier too. People just want them gone becase they think Bush "rigged" the election.

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
i think removing thousands of people's names from the voting register because they had the same birthday or name as a felon is as good as rigging the election, when you consider the number of votes that Florida was decided on ????????????????????(too close to call) Bush should have been impeached before he even took office!

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 03:07 PM
link   
That was never anything more than supposition. Itn has no basis in fact but if it makes you feel good to say, have at it.

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 03:20 PM
link   
^^^^^^^^^^
are you joking?

go and ask one of the black young men who turned up to vote and was told he was a criminal, Jesus, they even purged a local JUDGE by mistake.

You keep telling yourself it didn't happen, if it makes you feel better.

Here is one of millions of articles on the topic
writ.news.findlaw.com...

Greg Palast is one of the best investigative journalists in the world, trust him more than most journalists, besides, why wouldn't Bush have done this, what did he have to lose? ... The election?
www.gregpalast.com...

use your head kid, don't bury it in the sand.

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 07:58 AM
link   
So, if the system was so screwed up, it let all this injustice happen, why try so hard to prevent its change? My state had no problems like this and we used computer screens. If its that flawed, why not change ot to a more efficient system. If people wrongfully get purged, they can handle that when they check their registration. Because i had recently moved, I was listed in the wrong precinct but a call to my county clerk a couple of months before cleared the issue up and I was all set on election day. One thing people overlook is that the responsibility to register and make sure everything is correct falls on them. If they have recently moved or have any question about their eligibility, its their responsibility to make sure all mistakes are cleared up, have the proper ID when they come, and go to the proper place to vote for their geographical location. Please note a voter must register 28 days in advance to vote in an election.

My question, if the system screwed up that badly, why resist change?

top topics

join