It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption Church: Televangelists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Should people have the freedom to give to religious charlatans if it makes them feel good?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The more pertinent question is: "should people who take the money of the naive and gamble with it be allowed to hide their assets and pay no taxes?"

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

The more pertinent question is: "should people who take the money of the naive and gamble with it be allowed to hide their assets and pay no taxes?"

Welcome to religion 101.

Now please answer my question.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Now please answer my question.

I thought I already had....

Or, do you mean this question?:

Should people have the freedom to give to religious charlatans if it makes them feel good?

No. They should be educated well enough to not do so and to recognize that they are being exploited and conned.

I'm going to log off and go to bed and sleep now. Talk to you later, beez. Have a good night.
edit on 8/17/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Yeah it was a great show.
It reminded me of another thing I like about China.
In China, these fraudsters go to prison to learn the value of an honest day's work.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Unfortunately I live in Nevada so I cannot donate to this wonderful human being.
Have you listened to the phone message on his number? It's pretty hilarious.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
These things are not the work of God.

This is the work of Satan.

There was a great book I read called "Earth Game" by Timothy Wade Huntly.

www.amazon.com...

There is a character in there that is actually sent by lucifer to do his bidding. Guess what one of his jobs was? You guessed it. Televangelist.

I've been meaning to share this book on here for a while, for those of you who haven't read it, or heard of it. Awesome book. I need to reread it again. It's been a few years.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
So I could actually make a show asking for money for the church of the white monkey and get rich?.
Gonna practice my evangelical voice.
Can I hear a "oooo ooo ahhhh"? Come on my monkey brethren "oooo ooo ahhh!".

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

here's what one guy says on the topic (from christian perspective)
listen to whole thing, buzzy

www.vftb.net...

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

Can you summarize it for us, please?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: undo

Can you summarize it for us, please?

listen to it. seriously. all the way to the end of it.
edit on 18-8-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Of course they should have the freedom to... That's not the issue.
Did you watch the video? This isn't a knock on all Christianity.
"Our lady of perpetual exemption" is questioning the tax exempt status of churches and pastors that have multiple private jets and lavish mansions "parsonages"

Should the U.S. Government reimburse Mitt Romney when he give a million dollars to the Mormon Church?

Should the government reimburse David Koch when he gives a million to the American Ballet Theater?

edit on 18-8-2015 by HighFive because: spell check

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: HighFive

So a guy successfully convinces people that he can offer them salvation and the people give him money.

And we should punish the guy for being successful?

What laws has any of these televangelists broken?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

No laws have been broken.

In fact John Oliver openly admits this an attempt to push the boundaries of what is legal and accepted.
This is starting a dialogue on these vague 501c3 laws. Especially what constitutes a church

Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption is clearly not a church, but will collect money tax free.
What prevents a local roofer from changing its business name to Roofing for Allah and operating tax free?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: HighFive

What prevents a local roofer from changing its business name to Roofing for Allah and operating tax free?

Dunno.

Nothing, I suppose.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Should the U.S. Government reimburse Mitt Romney when he give a million dollars to the Mormon Church?

Should the government reimburse David Koch when he gives a million to the American Ballet Theater?

Should I get credit for my charitable contributions?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Just got a monkey onesy for my attire for the new Church.
If I get people to come and pray in my house I can apply for it to be a religious building and I will not have to pay council tax
I hope I get a free bus pass also.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Just got a monkey onesy for my attire for the new Church.
If I get people to come and pray in my house I can apply for it to be a religious building and I will not have to pay council tax
I hope I get a free bus pass also.

And you'd be free to do so.

Funny how it works.

Freedom means you can also be as silly as you desire.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

If you donate to something I approve of.. Lol

That is crux of this entire argument. Is it really charitable to donate if the purpose is to reduce your tax liability?
Most people spend all their paycheck. Some can save a little. Very few can donate. It's a system that favors the rich and allows them to pay lower effective tax rates than the majority of hard working Americans.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

If you donate to something I approve of.. Lol

That is crux of this entire argument. Is it really charitable to donate if the purpose is to reduce your tax liability?
Most people spend all their paycheck. Some can save a little. Very few can donate. It's a system that favors the rich and allows them to pay lower effective tax rates than the majority of hard working Americans.

Then the only recourse is to elect individuals that would eliminate this from the tax code.

But remember, many (most?) politicians are millionaires/multimillionaires and actively utilize this "loophole".

An interesting windmill to tilt at, I suppose.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join