It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders says the 1 percent have screwed-up brains — and science proves he’s right

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Ever since the Enron scandal there have been those that realized the elite are social paths that care only for themselves and their fortunes. Now we have a presidential candidate saying they have "screwed up brains" of this there is little doubt.

Interestingly, the research shows wealthy people are less empathetic and tend to think of themselves and others in terms of fixed traits, instead of attributing a person’s emotional state to context and surroundings. And the rich tend to think of income inequality — from which they benefit — as the just result of meritocracy rather than a system rigged in their favor.

In addition, research by University of California at Irvine psychologist Paul Piff suggests the ultra-rich and the influence they wield, along with certain psychological traits that stem from extreme wealth, pose a problem. The extremely wealthy are more likely to behave selfishly with little regard for others, according to study results published in Scientific American.

Very wealthy people are also more likely to behave unethically, less likely to give to charities and displayed higher levels of narcissism and entitlement than average, according to Matrix, a UC Berkeley social science publication.

source

edit on 17-8-2015 by AlaskanDad because: punctuation and sp

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Okay I have a question....

I also behave unethically, am unlikely to give to charities and display high levels of narcissism. On top of that I'm selfish and have very little regard for other people.

It seems I should be super rich! WTH?!?!

edit on 17-8-2015 by highfromphoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Selective inbreeding will do that.

That's what pisses me off when people say "it's like the world's turning into Idiocracy"...

Nay, good fellow, it's always been Idiocracy...
When did you wake up?

I was rather young and carefree...

Now I'm youngish & couldn't give a toss.

They rigged this game millennia ago...
A game changer, aside from divine intervention, is an impossibility.
edit on 17-8-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The extremely rich have “psychiatric issues” and it affects day-to-day Americans, populist presidential candidate Bernie Sanders (I-VT) said recently. Research shows that he’s on to something.

“We all know people who are addicted to alcohol or drugs. These people are addicted to money,”

You would think medical science would have found a cure by now.

But I'm not seeing how money and wealth inject into the bloodstream and brain, like drugs and alcohol.

Maybe this is why some people enjoy staying poor.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfromphoenix

I also behave unethically, am unlikely to give to charities and display high levels of narcissism. On top of that I'm selfish and have very little regard for other people.

So you don't even get a financial reward for your selfish behavior. Maybe try a new tact?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
All those wealthy doctors, philanthropists, celebrities and businessmen are sociopaths. I wonder if this is before or after they donate unfathomable amounts of their precious money for various causes and charities.

America's 50 Top Givers

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
All those wealthy doctors, philanthropists, celebrities and businessmen are sociopaths. I wonder if this is before or after they donate unfathomable amounts of their precious money for various causes and charities.

America's 50 Top Givers

Money is meaningless to dynastic pseudo royalty compared to social structure and power.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I wonder if the poor behave selfishly and have little regard for others?
I'm sure they didn't bother to check that one out..

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Money is meaningless to dynastic pseudo royalty compared to social structure and power.

On what grounds are you basing this on?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Oh come on, celebs are usually doing it for publicity, and Bill Gates image was tarnished long ago after all the monopoly lawsuits. He wants to be remembered not as a tyrant, but a good guy, so started doing the philanthropy thing. I'm not gonna say something foolish like all rich people are evil and selfish, but people tend to justify their life course and form biases that approve of their social groups. This goes both ways, if the rich seem less empathic towards the common man, the common man probably seems less empathic towards the rich.

I know a billionaire and he's a tough guy to really know deep down. You get a sense of loneliness and darkness, and there's definitely pathology, but also he does operate a huge charity and do a lot of work his self. As an honest assessment I'd classify him as a prosocial psychopath that may have a very dark life few know about, but on the surface he keeps up appearances well in most situations.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

originally posted by: highfromphoenix

So you don't even get a financial reward for your selfish behavior. Maybe try a new tact?

Maybe but old habits are hard to change.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Oh come on, celebs are usually doing it for publicity, and Bill Gates image was tarnished long ago after all the monopoly lawsuits. He wants to be remembered not as a tyrant, but a good guy, so started doing the philanthropy thing. I'm not gonna say something foolish like all rich people are evil and selfish, but people tend to justify their life course and form biases that approve of their social groups. This goes both ways, if the rich seem less empathic towards the common man, the common man probably seems less empathic towards the rich.

I know a billionaire and he's a tough guy to really know deep down. You get a sense of loneliness and darkness, and there's definitely pathology, but also he does operate a huge charity and do a lot of work his self. As an honest assessment I'd classify him as a prosocial psychopath that may have a very dark life few know about, but on the surface he keeps up appearances well in most situations.

And none of this is your assumption?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I wonder if the poor behave selfishly and have little regard for others?
I'm sure they didn't bother to check that one out..

To be honest selfishness is a human trait, we all want the best for ourselves and loved ones. I guess it depends on how ruthless you are in the process of putting yourself first.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

America's 50 Top Givers

If we use 1% as the number of wealthy individuals discussed in the OP that means that the OP is talking about 70 million people.

Out of those 70 million you link to 50 of them who give to charity which is .00001%. So the other 99.99999% must be who the OP are referring too.

And I would say at least a few of those 50 donate to maintain public image, since there is nothing left that they want to buy.

Add - Lets not forget about tax breaks for non profit donations either.

I believe the math is in favor of the OP, which is something that I personally agree with. For many people the size of their wallets is the size of their self-righteousness, which is where extreme elitism is born.

SnF to the OP

edit on 17-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I was pretty careful with my wording if you look through it, though if you'd like to take on a particular point we can work from there.

link   
Yea my feeling as well, when they give to charity I often wonder if it's almost like promoting themselves with showing how good they are, like making up (for the bad) and showing and telling everyone about their good deeds.

link   

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

On what grounds are you basing this on?

Certainly not a Forbes hit piece glorifying the unscrupulous rats who prefer to parade their charitable works.

link   
a reply to: highfromphoenix
I would be a hypocrite if I said I wasn't selfish, I want the best hospital treatment even if it means someone has to lose out on my behalf.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Out of those 70 million you link to 50 of them who give to charity which is .00001%. So the other 99.99999% must be who the OP is referring too.

Have you read the study? The results? The criticism? Do you honestly think it is referring to 70million people except the 50 Forbes listed?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Bernie Sanders is part of the 1%, so his claim is kind of interesting from that regard. But it also shows he's talking nonsense. He's trying to vilify part of the population to get your support. Typical populist BS. It's the same thing Hitler did with the Jews. The Jews were essentially the 1% in Germany, successful for a variety of reasons, including their cohesiveness and native intelligence, for two. They set themselves apart from the "Gentiles" and became easy targets for people suffering under a depression. The Jews were "different" and that's what Bernie Sanders is saying about the 1%. Their brains are different. Once the Jews became the "enemy of the people" it did not take much of a leap to decide they all had to be exterminated.

That's where you're headed with Bernie Sanders. I'm sure he would be horrified at the thought, but that's how it starts. He creates an enemy for all of you disaffected people to hate and says it's all their fault.

And you respond like sheeple.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join