It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

0-13 in ten days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I was bored..needed a challenge. So, I challenged myself. I decided to run a half marathon. Thirteen miles. Not a big deal to some, a major deal to most. I started from nothing..occasionally I would use running as a warm up to regular workout routines. But it has been ages since I have run more than a couple miles at a time. (20 years?)

Now, just ten days after starting, I have just hit my goal, 13 miles. That isn't the problem for me though. The problem is that I no longer wish to run the half marathon. I did it, I accomplished my goal, which is enough for me.

I ran in cross trainers, I ran on dirt roads, uphill, with bugs and butterflies sharing my journey. (the bugs really are annoying) I ran until my feet bled and blisters formed. I did it, there is no point in going further..is there?

I guess I am asking if it is worth it to pay money to run in a half marathon when I don't care to prove anything to anyone but myself. I guess I need someone to tell me why it is valuable to do so, because I really don't know. And I can't see myself moving forward with it until I can justify doing it in my head.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some insight on this,

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Might be worth doing more, after all, a person's goals should always be further than their reach. Otherwise, you're only doing what you already know.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

I'll continue to run, my goal was 13 miles by September 1st..so, I think I did surpass my goal. But, that isn't what I am wondering.

I am wondering what the value in doing a half marathon is...or a marathon..or any type of running event. I have never done one and wanted to know if someone had some experience or insight they could offer as to why you would.

I guess I am asking if it is worth it. And what life experience you get out of it. Hopefully that makes some sense.

thanks,
blend57

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I guess I am asking if it is worth it to pay money to run in a half marathon when I don't care to prove anything to anyone but myself.

Its always worth it if your money goes on to benefit a person or organization in need. Just make sure the money will go directly to those who are supposed to benefit from it. If not for yourself, do it for another.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Our dreams are always better in black and white, some dreams we should bring to life some we should let be dreams. Dreams always lose something when we live them
edit on 17-8-2015 by imod02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Well done!

For most runners, they want to get faster and set goals in that direction. If you can't see the value in running a half-marathon, it's probably not worth the trouble. Maybe look in your area for a 10k race? These can be a ton of fun and especially with a few hundred fellow runners. The banter and morale is excellent, but we all run our own races with our own goals.

It's not exactly clear how you've done your Half. Was it all in one go or bit by bit over the ten days? If it was a little bit at a tie, hold off on a half marathon a while and get a few more miles in your feet. Conditioning is crucial to avoid hip/knees/tendon/ankle etc injuries.

Either way...cool...well done : )

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Go for a marathon!
You've got nothing to prove to anyone mate, you've achieved the half marathon, you don't need to pay to run with others, unless it's something you really do want to do..... but you're obviously not content otherwise you'd stop and be happy.
Just go for the full marathon, try and get there by Xmas?

Good luck

edit on 17/8/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

These can be a ton of fun and especially with a few hundred fellow runners. The banter and morale is excellent, but we all run our own races with our own goals.

It's not exactly clear how you've done your Half. Was it all in one go or bit by bit over the ten days? If it was a little bit at a tie, hold off on a half marathon a while and get a few more miles in your feet. Conditioning is crucial to avoid hip/knees/tendon/ankle etc injuries.

The bold is what I was looking for..ty for letting me know that. I did 13 in bits...but the run isn't until September 20th..so, I have time to "get there" with regards to conditioning..

That is exactly what I was wondering about..what type of life experience it was/is, before I paid the money to run it..

tyvm,
blend57

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

um..I think it is just not knowing what to expect that has me hesitant to do the half marathon. The value of it.

full marathon? by x-mas? Roflmao!!!

Um..I'll put that on my bucket list...right underneath this one: obtaining super human powers by getting bitten by a spider..

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: blend57
a reply to: blupblup

um..I think it is just not knowing what to expect that has me hesitant to do the half marathon. The value of it.

full marathon? by x-mas? Roflmao!!!

Um..I'll put that on my bucket list...right underneath this one: obtaining super human powers by getting bitten by a spider..

If you did zero to 13 in 10 days, you can double that like... 4 months, easy mate

And actually yeah the comradery would be great to be fair, if that's what you're looking for.
I used to mountain bike with a club/group and it was great fun and you'll probably push yourself a lot more when you're in a group setting like that.

Go for it man.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

If you check in your area, there's always a 10k in the calendar (Runner's World - race finder). Or a half-marathon.

They always donate to charity and if you choose carefully some do great goody bags for finishers. These might include a decent medal, t-shirt/vest and free food and drink.

Do take it easy though...an injury can be a real pain in the ass! Get conditioned first.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

The comradery, a lot of people of like mind striving for basically the same thing? I imagine it can be a venture with some fun and it enhances your ability to make new friends. Seems like a good social exercise.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/17.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Bet you a can of beer or two you couldn't do your run and then swim half a mile straight after you finished running
Don't sound like you have in you

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Bet you a can of beer or two you couldn't do your run and then swim half a mile straight after you finished running
Don't sound like you have in you

I don't drink beer and I can't swim. ..so you would win that bet.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
Do take it easy though...an injury can be a real pain in the ass! Get conditioned first.

The only thing that is feeling bad at the end of the run are my feet. . Once I get proper running shoes, I think I'll be o.k.

You're right though, injuries are pains in the butt.. wise words. .

Of to work. Thanks for all the help. ..

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: blend57
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

I'll continue to run, my goal was 13 miles by September 1st..so, I think I did surpass my goal. But, that isn't what I am wondering.

I am wondering what the value in doing a half marathon is...or a marathon..or any type of running event. I have never done one and wanted to know if someone had some experience or insight they could offer as to why you would.

I guess I am asking if it is worth it. And what life experience you get out of it. Hopefully that makes some sense.

thanks,
blend57

Intrinsically, I don't think there is any value. People run them for various reasons, like fame, fun, personal goals, prize money, etc.

However, you could always do it for a charitable reason
. As in, join one of those fundraisers where people donate money for every runner. I did a quick google search for "run a marathon for charity" and there were more than 11 million results. That could be a good start.

And grats on achieving your goal! My ceiling seems to be 5 miles lol. I get sleepy around 4 miles, then dead tired right before 5 miles.

new topics

top topics

join