It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robert Adams : Enlightenment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I would like to bring people's attention to a wonderful human being called Robert Adams. Most folk looking into Enlightenment etc have never heard of him and i think his word's should reach a far, far wider audience. As a young man he traveled from America to India where he met the exceptional Ramana Maharshi. His dialogues with students can be found here.......

omnicircle.blogspot.co.uk...

And more information on his background etc here........

the-wanderling.com...

Here are some quotes from this almost unknown enlightened giant.

The first thing to understand is that everything that has transpired in your life has been necessary.No matter how it looks, no matter what has happened, everything has been necessary. The second thing to understand is, everything has been preordained. In other words, everything was supposed to happen the way it happened.There were no mistakes. The third thing to understand is that the first two things are all a pack of lies for these things do not even exist in Reality.

No matter how many times I tell you this, you’re still thinking, thinking, judging, judging, coming to conclusions, trying to work out your life. You have to let go. Totally, absolutely, completely.

When you get on a real spiritual path, everything comes up, at a fast rate of speed. Things may seem very bad, terrible, to some people. It doesn't happen to everybody. It is because you are accelerating your karma. It's all coming out of you. It's all being totally dissolved. And then if you hold on, become still and quiet and do not react to these things, all of a sudden you will start feeling a profound peace, a profound happiness, a profound joy. You will finally feel freedom.

You see, you live in a universe which is self-existent, self-abiding, self-sufficient. This means that all of your needs are met from within. ALL OF YOUR NEEDS ARE MET FROM WITHIN. But this will only happen when you accept it this way. If you think that your needs have to come from a person, place or thing, you’ve always get a fight on your hands because you’re hoping to get a better job or get some money in the bank or that someone will come along and help you with some problem. These are all erroneous thoughts. If you could only learn to rely on the Self, miracles would take place in your life!
If you can only learn to rely on the Self. How do you learn to rely on the Self? By trusting life. Trusting life just the way it is. I’m not saying to trust certain people, or to trust certain conditions, certain situations. I’m saying just to trust life. To trust life you go beyond people, places and things. You trust the substratum of all existence. You trust Consciousness. In other words, you feel and believe in your heart that there is a power that knows the way. You came out of it. So you’re That also. For you are It. You are that power yourself. And you feel good about it. This is what I mean when I say, trust the power that knows the way.

Who suffers? I know some will say the ego suffers. But that is not true. What is the ego? The ego is the I-thought.This 'I' is only a thought. The 'I' does not exist. Therefore the ego does not exist. So who suffers?
Suffice it to say, that you as you exist now are complete emptiness. You are pure intelligence, pure awareness, absolute reality, nirvana, just the way you are, right now! Do not think about it. If you think about it you spoil it, just the way you are this moment. You are pure intelligence, absolute reality, you are the unborn, but every time a thought comes into your mind you spoil it.

There is nothing outside that is not within you. This is something that should be remembered all of the time.You should always be aware of this. There is nothing out there that is not within here. If you understand this totally where do you have to go? Whom do you have to see? What do you have to read? What is there to do?You can simply sit and be the universe and bask in glory and total love, total joy.

When we talk about Advaita Vedanta we talk about the five elements, the three gunas, the food body. All this talk is nonsense. It is exactly what it is, spiritual talk. Spiritual talk gets you nowhere. Spiritual talk is for novices.People who are still debating trying to win points. Trying to come up with answers. Asking all sorts of questions. Debating spiritual points. All this is nonsense. So the wise person keeps silent.

Do not believe that if you're watching TV or watching a movie you cannot meditate or practice Self-Inquiry. You will be amazed that as you're watching the movie you can keep inquiring, "To whom does this come? Who am I?"Or you can become aware that you are like the screen in the movie. You cannot see the screen, you see the images on the screen. Yet the images are not real. If you try to grab them, you grab the screen. Just contemplating this helps.And then you realize that you are like the screen, that is your real nature, and all the images in the universe are superimposed upon you, just as the images of the movie are superimposed on the screen.

I want to let you in on a little secret. There are no problems. There are no problems. There never were any problems, there are no problems today, and there will never be any problems. Problems just mean that the world isn't turning the way you want it to. But in truth, there are no problems. Everything is unfolding as it should. Everything is right. You have to forget about yourself and expand your consciousness until you become the whole universe. The reality in back of the universe is pure awareness. It has no problems. And you are that.

You must always remember that silence is the greatest teacher. Quietness, silence, total stillness, it is the greatest teacher. Reality shines through where there is silence. If you want to experience reality just keep quiet. That is all you have to do. Shut up. Stop talking. Stop thinking. Stop imagining. Leave it all alone.

All of the Masters, the teachers, the Saints, the Sages that you have worshipped all of your life, whether it's Buddha, Christ, Muhammad, Moses, whomever, have always been within you, waiting to be expressed. - Ponder this.

Now what happens when you become liberated? When you awaken to your Self? You have unalloyed happiness, total peace, unfathomable joy, infinite love. These are all attributes to awakening. Therefore, develop these if you want to awaken. For you will feel beautiful, wonderful all over and nothing will ever spoil it.

Student: Is it boring? If all that goes away and there is nothing...(Speaking about the falling away of the World when Enlightened)
Robert: (laughs) No! See, that's what people think. That's why I explained before, the mind will make you say that because it doesn't want to be annihilated. It wants to rule you and control you completely, because that's its nature. That's the nature of the mind that doesn't exist.

I hope you enjoy reading the dialogues as much as i did.

edit on 17-8-2015 by DrunkYogi because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2015 by DrunkYogi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Oh yes very nice. Tasty even. Jus t been observing lately that a lot of disturbance comes from what are perceived as mistakes and the guilt and regret in relation to them. I enjoyed.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I learned awhile ago that most of the "mistakes" I always regretted eventually the regret fades and it becomes just a memory and often a life lesson. Funny really, there the ones you seem to remember the most, therefore I appreciate the most.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Robert Adams and others say that along with everything being predetermined, you are also not the doer. Believing you are the doer is considered to be very mistaken. This can have a massive affect on folks riddled with guilt etc. The guilt folk are expected to haul around according to some major religions.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
As I Began to Love Myself – Self Love Poem by Charlie Chaplin

As I began to love myself I found that anguish and emotional suffering
are only warning signs that I was living against my own truth.
Today, I know, this is “AUTHENTICITY”.

As I began to love myself I understood how much it can offend somebody
As I try to force my desires on this person, even though I knew the time
was not right and the person was not ready for it, and even though this
person was me. Today I call it “RESPECT”.

As I began to love myself I stopped craving for a different life,
and I could see that everything that surrounded me was inviting me to grow.
Today I call it “MATURITY”.

As I began to love myself I understood that at any circumstance,
I am in the right place at the right time, and everything happens
at the exactly right moment. So I could be calm.
Today I call it “SELF-CONFIDENCE”.

As I began to love myself I quit steeling my own time,
and I stopped designing huge projects for the future.
Today, I only do what brings me joy and happiness, things I love to do
and that make my heart cheer, and I do them in my own way and in
my own rhythm. Today I call it “SIMPLICITY”.

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for
my health – food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew
me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude
a healthy egoism. Today I know it is “LOVE OF ONESELF”.

As I began to love myself I quit trying to always be right, and ever since
I was wrong less of the time. Today I discovered that is “MODESTY”.

As I began to love myself I refused to go on living in the past and worry
about the future. Now, I only live for the moment, where EVERYTHING
is happening. Today I live each day, day by day, and I call it “FULFILLMENT”.

As I began to love myself I recognized that my mind can disturb me
and it can make me sick. But As I connected it to my heart, my
mind became a valuable ally. Today I call this
connection “WISDOM OF THE HEART”.

We no longer need to fear arguments, confrontations or any kind of problems
with ourselves or others. Even stars collide, and out of their crashing
new worlds are born.Today I know THAT IS “LIFE”!

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: yulka

That was excellent yulka. It seems there was more to Chaplin than meets the eye, a lot more.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DrunkYogi

And a gipsy

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: yulka

Yeah i read about that, interesting.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I can't figure out what he's talking about. Can you summarize his main points in clear english, using well-defined words?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
All true; in fact I will go further. We wrote our contracts before incarnating, we each have specific goals to achieve in order to progress our souls; everything you experience is of your own design: failures, pratfalls etc (you can only blame yourself for not remembering your own contract). I think remembering your existence living in a higher dimension is the entire point of a material world incarnation. You know it, another kingdom beyond this one you used to live in.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: StanFL

I wouldn't even try and summarize. How much did you read?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Sounds good.

new topics

top topics

join