It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I stopped using TV/Computer - and it was awesome !!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
So, i started this experiment 1 month back, i stopped watching TV , news, game shows, soap opera's everything.. Everything else went as usual. I got my news from the Internet but i only logged in 1 hour every 2-3 days..

After around 1 month

I started noticing i was a lot calmer and peaceful
A lot happier probably due to not watching scare mongering BS.
I was a lot less materialistic, spending time with real friends, walking , talking. Felt no need to buy things.
Also i just had this feeling after 2-3 weeks the world isn't so bad after all. Started noticing the good things more and bad things less. Probably the reason i was happy. Means i remembered more positive things and probably was more happier that way.

I would ask everyone to try this. Do it for just 1 month and see how it feels

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

Yet, here you are again LOL

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

As i said, i use the Internet an hour every 2-3 days, but mainly ATS and chat with my frnds
edit on 16-8-2015 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I was only poking at you!

It's all about balance, and what you enjoy in your free time

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
That's awesome! Good for you.

Is this going to continue for you or do you have a plan to keep this up to a limited level?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I haven't watched tv for 7-8 years, and now I literally cannot MAKE myself sit and watch a show, even at a friend's house.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Only on demand TV, phone for calling, kicked out the gf, got a dog, started studying, a flickr here and there.

I cut of the massive information flow, and i could hear myself think.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
you must have watched a lot of #.
youre new routine has been mine for yrs, im not a good advert.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." ~ Thomas Jefferson

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21
spending time with real friends, walking , talking.
Also i just had this feeling after 2-3 weeks the world isn't so bad after all. Started noticing the good things more and bad things less. Probably the reason i was happy. Means i remembered more positive things and probably was more happier that way.

There's nothing wrong with the world, the world is agnostic in just about everything. It's actually people, or perhaps 'real people' where there is a need to be concerned about.
Still and all I can see you have concern for things that go on in the world, that won't go away anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm right there with 'ya bud. Haven't owned a TV in years. I may catch a few things on the internet such as ghost adventures episodes. But NFL football is pretty important to me, so I subscribed to game pass so I can watch a game later w/o commercials if I wish. go PATS. I can't stand being at friend's houses and they have a television on - I think it's all the d#mn commercials that I can't sit through.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I recall in 2005 or something. My life was in a 'transitional' mode. Went without TV for many months. And I did spare the internet on dialup.

It was a difference. And it was good. I commend anyone for trying that experiment.

But, now I am married etc. That aint gonna happen again any time soon unless I banish myself to the garage. Crap, just remembered we have cable and tv fully wired up there too.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

....i used to watch a lot of tv i do not anymore as i find it destructive,my 5 year old actually changes if i let him watch it,he gets stressed,aggressive and very demanding...the ads may not be subliminal but they sure as hell get under his skin....

There is a downside to not zoning out to the tv,the other night i had a fire and spent the night outside playing poker,i left my laptop outside...open... and it rained...doh!..amazingly it still works,even though when i tipped it up water came pouring out of it ...a few keys have failed but meh i shoulda been inside on the couch in front of the box

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I have been thinking about it for 3 years and got rid of the tv 3 months ago and have similar results to you. Internet next, meh, maybe in 3 years.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
It has been several years now that I have gotten rid of cable and life is much calmer now. TV is like a huge influence box they do not even deny they try to influence in all manners through it. I like the internet, but mostly for reading translated novels, researching things that I don't know as needed, and occasionally this.

I usually get a chuckle on here looking through new topics because the MSM doom always bleeds through to this site.

I can't think of a single good thing about TV.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Starting 3 weeks ago...I have cultivated a new habit of being on the computer just in the morning...then I shut it down until the next day.

I am doing other things that are interesting and productive; and I do feel better overall.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SachaX

I agree. What I find interesting is that so many of my friends turn the TV on first thing in the morning, and last thing at night. Mainstream media numbs the mind. That someone would watch it all day long seems strange to me.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I'm a TV junkie. In 1991, I moved out to a isolated area in British Columbia that had virtually no TV signals. After a good week or two, I didn't miss it as much. I was amazed. I was actually getting outside again and getting things done. Procrastination went way down due to boredom.

It only lasted about a year, I ended up getting a satellite w/ a subscription to every friggin channel available... haha

But it was a nice feeling not feeding my addiction for awhile. I would go so far as to say, it improved my lifestyle a lot.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21
So, i started this experiment 1 month back, i stopped watching TV , news, game shows, soap opera's everything.. Everything else went as usual. I got my news from the Internet but i only logged in 1 hour every 2-3 days..

After around 1 month

I started noticing i was a lot calmer and peaceful
A lot happier probably due to not watching scare mongering BS.
I was a lot less materialistic, spending time with real friends, walking , talking. Felt no need to buy things.

I would ask everyone to try this. Do it for just 1 month and see how it feels

Of course it was "awesome." Ignorance is bliss. Take away any and all outside influence and you are bound to be happier. Because, ignorance. (Not a knock on you at all, just an observation.)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
I haven't watched tv for 7-8 years, and now I literally cannot MAKE myself sit and watch a show, even at a friend's house.

I know a whole ton of people who are the same, yet they firmly believe all the websites they peruse and Netflix and youtube videos are somehow different.

You are still controlled, you falsely believe you are free!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join