It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to allow Politics from the Pulpit openly as the Left does it anyway

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
If ANY church wants to politicize their religion, then they can pay taxes.

I don't care if they are left or right.

That was the trade off they accepted. No taxes, no politicizing.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

~Tenth

The question is why dos left or right even come in as part of the equation?

83% of the american population is christian...why is christianity on the right different from the christianity on the left?

hint- its the same god

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: kellyjay

You don't find me interesting, and yet, you spam the thread by cutting and pasting my every word.

Fascinating.

Listen, I think you've misunderstood me: believe what you want, say things the way you want to, have at it.

I'll do the same.

As far as your citation goes, are you referring to the phrase "funding comes from taxation"? Of course it does. That's where government (and in the specific case) government-sponsored entities get most of their revenue.

Perhaps you'll point me toward the section that states "and so citizens should feel free decide what healthcare others receive because they too pay taxes"?

If you don't feel anything about the UK, why are you concerned about how "your taxdollars" are being used?

Look, you replied to me with a snide little off-topic quip that I'm sure you found, what was the word you've used "pithy."

I'm doing you a courtesy in responding to your ... material. I'll be glad to ignore you henceforth; do me the same courtesy.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

83% of the american population is christian...why is christianity on the right different from the christianity on the left?

hint- its the same god

You should try telling them that.

To me it's all the same, the rules should apply evenly sure.

It's certainly not agnostics, atheists who are saying otherwise.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Apparently the tax status of churches etc. goes back to a law passed in 1954.

Maybe it is time to have another look at that as the OP suggests.

I don't know what the spirit of the law was back in 1954 when the law was passed.

Was it to prevent the "establishment" of a religion?

I think the prohibitions actually might be in violation of the 1st Amendment.

here's the IRS "explanation" ...

Charities, Churches and Politics

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: kellyjay

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

~Tenth

The question is why dos left or right even come in as part of the equation?

hint- its the same god

This highlights perfectly the good reason we have separation of church and state.
Even as a Christian, I don't wanna live under a rule of law based off an Old Testament God of Wrath, just as most conservatives would not want to live under the rules of my hippy Jesus.

Same God different interpretations

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

You should know that ... haven't you blamed LBJ for it before?

By the way, where was the quote that I said you "hated Sharpton"?

But, let me get this correctly, you want churches to be taxed?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I am all for taxing churches, all of them. Just another business.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: xuenchen

You should know that ... haven't you blamed LBJ for it before?

By the way, where was the quote that I said you "hated Sharpton"?

But, let me get this correctly, you want churches to be taxed?

I don't want anybody to be taxed.

I prefer successful government without corruption.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

You don't find me interesting, and yet, you spam the thread by cutting and pasting my every word.

Fascinating.

As far as your citation goes, are you referring to the phrase "funding comes from taxation"? Of course it does. That's where government (and in the specific case) government-sponsored entities get most of their revenue.

Perhaps you'll point me toward the section that states "and so citizens should feel free decide what healthcare others receive because they too pay taxes"?

If you don't feel anything about the UK, why are you concerned about how "your taxdollars" are being used?

Look, you replied to me with a snide little off-topic quip that I'm sure you found, what was the word you've used "pithy."

I'm doing you a courtesy in responding to your ... material. I'll be glad to ignore you henceforth; do me the same courtesy.

Fascinating.

im just ensuring you know what parts of your tedious longwinded replys im answering is all

Listen, I think you've misunderstood me: believe what you want, say things the way you want to, have at it.

I'll do the same

Thanks for your permission.

actually i was reffering to the part where is states it comes DIRECTLY from taxation, and considering the NHS is owned by the people aka tax payers that should give you some hint as to where those taxes come from directly

I cant point you towards any part that says so the citizens should feel free to decide blah blah because A that doesnt happen nor did i ever claim it did, im just pointing out that my taxes pay for abortions on the taxpayer funded nhs....

I said i dont care about religion in the uk..because im atheist and its a secular country, so i dont NEED to think about it, nice context though.....

If ive offended you i apologise, that wasnt my intent...but facetiousness is met with facetiousness, and ill gladly ignore you hence forth

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Church and religious organization PACs and Super PACs need to jeopardize their tax status as well.

Or, wait...did I miss the SCOTUS ruling on church personhood?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

a reply to: infolurker

Sure, let churches say what they want.

Just don't take "my taxdollars" to pay for it.

They aren't. So what's your point?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Still at it? LOL.

Okay, we'll ignore each other in 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... NOW.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

"My taxdollars" are supplementing the tax exemptions of churches, as much as anyone's "taxdollars" are.

Are you also in favor of State control of churches?

Do you favor using penalties to enforce your political agenda as well?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Know what is funny.. If one of these Southern Mega-Churches was doing exactly the opposite the Left would be calling to punish them by yanking their 501.

They do and have been for decades. The Left has been calling for revocation of tax exemption of churches because of it, for equally as long.

Why do you think that is?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

lol, im sure every penny in taxes is followed through the system, thus knowing exactly where it is going....

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

a reply to: Teikiatsu

"My taxdollars" are supplementing the tax exemptions of churches, as much as anyone's "taxdollars" are.

Are you also in favor of State control of churches?

Do you favor using penalties to enforce your political agenda as well?

Supporting tax exemption... meaning your tax dollars are supporting revenues that have never been collected.

Do you realize how silly that sounds? It's not like they were being collected before, then suddenly stopped so now they need a new revenue source.

Plus let's not forget that the money collected by the congregation has already been taxed and is then given as charity.

No, I don't favor state control of church, that's why we should never tax them.

No, I don't support penalties to enforce political agendas, that's progressive fascism. I don't support that either.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm always glad to see people learning from these interactions at ATS.

Here's the long and short of it, as has been stated before both here and in other places:

Government has no business treating religious businesses any different from any other business.

If a business has a certain IRS classification, and abuses, misuses or breaks the law in light of that classification, then that business should be held responsible just like any other person or fictitious legal entity should be.

I am saddened to see our friends on the Right advocating for State-control of churches though. Even though I have no use for them personally, and no need to support them in any way shape form or fashion, the First Amendment still stands.

At least, for those of us on "the Left."

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: kellyjay

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

lol, im sure every penny in taxes is followed through the system, thus knowing exactly where it is going....

I'd love to say where my tax dollars are going. PP, NPR, PBS, most art funding, climate grants and liberal universities could kiss my butt just for starters.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Government has no business treating religious businesses any different from any other business.

'Religious business'... fascinating.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join