It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Big One" on the west coast question??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Ok I don't live on the west coast or in the U.S for that matter but I've always been told that L.A and a chunk of Califoria will go into the sea if a big enough earth quake hits, is this true??

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
On his website, stewart swerdlow (mentalist) said it there is a possibility:

Great Quakes! December 27, 2004
Lemuria and Atlantis are rising. This is part of the NWO/Reptilian agenda. This past week, two great quakes occurred in the Pacific/Australian/Antarctic regions. The first was an 8.2 magnitude quake that struck halfway between Australian and Antarctica in the Macquarie Rise region. The second quake, just a couple of days later, hit off the west coast of Indonesia, measuring 8.9 on the Richter Scale makes it one of the largest quakes to ever be recorded/measured on Earth. The tsunamis from this temblor have killed thousands as far away as Thailand, Sri Lanka, and India. This is just the beginning of the Pacific Plate movements. Watch Hawaii, California, Peru, and Japan.This is just the beginning of the Pacific Plate movements. Watch Hawaii, California, Peru, and Japan.

www.stewartswerdlow.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I too have heard this, and I would assume, just for the sake of how interesting, yet tragic it would be, the answer is yes. I hope it isn't true, but I remember studying something somewhat close to this in Ecology. Or at least touching on it, what about everyone else, do you think it is possible/have you heard anyhing else on it?

I was referring to the intial post, but that too is an interesting thought.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by GrendelsBacon]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Watch Hawaii! Sitting all by it's lonesome in the middle of the pacific plate the Hawaiian Islands were formed by a series of volcanoes where Magma breached the Pacific Plate. Nothing to see here - move along.

Watch California! California dreamin! just waiting for the "big one" to sink sunny California into the ocean blue ... What's that you say?!? California is part of the rising crustal boundary where the Pacific Plate dives beneath the North American Plate? California will what???? Continue with the northwest movement of the landmass west of tha San Andreas Fault? What's that mean? That Southern California will be a suburb of San Francisco in a few million years?

Wow! Hope that answered your questions.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I live in Los Angeles. Please explain this a bit better? Im a bit worried.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think I have heard on some tv special that these types of earthquakes are very traumatic and stressful on certain types of land formations and could cause very damaging after effects. Some islands that are created from vulcanos are basically floating landmasses supported by a tube. If a quake is strong enough to fracture the tube, the islands goes swimming and an even more devestating tsunami is formed from the water that is pushed. I drew a quick illustration to show what I mean.

First you would get the tsunami from the shift in the earths crust and then an afterwave from the submerging island. At least thats what I think they were explaining it. I'm no geologist, but this makes sense to me. If anyone might remember seeing that show, do you know what island they were referencing, because they said it could happen in the very near future. Hopefully this did not disturb the island they were talking about. I think they had also said that this tsunami could hit the west coast.

[edit on 31-12-2004 by Kata]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
There goes my home...hawaii.

I probably shouldn't go back home after finishing college here..

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
do we know for a fact that the islands of Hawaii are based on a tube that could be susceptible to earth quakes?

also, i was under the impression that there are no faults near hawaii that could cause an earthquake of a high enough magnitude to make one of the islands sink.

third, what magnitude would be needed to cause such an event.

fourth, are there a list of islands that have formed like the ones in the drawings?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Excellent answer. I just wish people would understand the facts rather than jumping into conspiricy.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
No, No, No No, everybody calm down

California would not drop off into the pacific if a big enough quake occured.

It will eventually happen but it will be the result thousands of earthquakes over millions of years, not just one "big" one.

Were is this graphic from, as a geologist it looks totally incorrect to me. Underwater volcanoes do not grow like this.

E_T

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Hunter
Were is this graphic from, as a geologist it looks totally incorrect to me. Underwater volcanoes do not grow like this.
No one shouldn't need geologist to tell him that it couldn't go more wrong.

Here's some real facts about how collapse of islands causing tsunamis... or actually it's not even whole island, just part of it.
I posted this link only few days ago but here's it again because in general human memory seems to be extremely short.
www.es.ucsc.edu...

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
the la palma, won't cause a tsunami, it will fall of in small chunks and not a large piece as first predicted, I believe the guy is getting a serious bashing in the geolological world at the moment.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
check out these maps, which show some of the active earth quakes....

earthquake.usgs.gov...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Illustration was just done quickly by me and I did try to make note that I was only recalling what I had remembered from the show and did state that I am not a geologist. I did not realize that the scientist and his research was proven wrong. Illustration is removed to avoid more confusion. Thanks and sorry for the misdirection.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Anyway, I'm not sure if this is what you were refering to that was proven wrong, but here is a link to the information just in case. I was wrong that it would hit the west coast. Sounds like it would hit the east coast.

Link

[edit on 31-12-2004 by Kata]

new topics

top topics

join