It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could abortion be considered a double standard?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
... and yet, the callous murders committed by cops, and the millions of callous murders by bombs are just honky-donkey.

Absurd.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
why is it that when a man becomes a father many employers will feel that he will be a better employee deserving of more money because he now has a child to support, but when a women becomes a mother they feel that she will be a worse employee because her attention will be always divided between the responsibility to the child and work?

I only bring this up because well, it does play a role in the topic. as equality becomes more established, things should equalize in the areas we are discussing here. and, there are things that men could be doing to help equalize them, which some men do do, others don't, like taking on part of the traditional role of the relationship so that she isn't more distracted by those responsibility as he is.

but well, I have to say, women have spent centuries upon centuries being denied most of their rights and men were able to just walk away from their kids and never look back. if men have to spend a little time in an uncomfortable situation until we find that balance of equality, then I am sorry, but I think in the end, both males and females will be better off for it.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
... and yet, the callous murders committed by cops, and the millions of callous murders by bombs are just honky-donkey.

Absurd.

Who says that?

Just curious.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

How do you feel about murder by cop?

How do you feel about murder by bomb (or drone, or AK, or whatever your war weapon of choice might be)?

How do you feel about "just shootings" and "collateral damage"?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Murder is horrible regardless of the situation.

It should never be taken lightly.

Anyone who has ever killed, carries with them, the guilt of ending another's life.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
oh come on guys, there's a ton of threads active on the boards at the moment debating the morality of abortion. the op is bringing up some legitemate problems with the system we are currently running under. it deserves to be discussed.

link   
a reply to: WanderingSage

There it is. Everyone loves a baby and phantom babies. But once they are really human, throw them in the trash bin of foster care system.

link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Anyone who has ever killed, carries with them, the guilt of ending another's life.

Do you find rape and incest horrible?

Apparently you don't find it horrible enough to warrant giving women the choice to terminate the development of the fetus

link   

I don't disagree with you. I also happen to believe that actively working against ways to feed and clothe children are despicable as well.

However, for you, are there some situations in which "murder" is justified, or understandable, or acceptable, or "the lesser of two evils"?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Rape and incest are simply facts of life. People just have to adjust to that and move on.

Take personal responsibility and pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Live clean.

Right? Particularly if they're women, right?

Right?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I don't disagree with you. I also happen to believe that actively working against ways to feed and clothe children are despicable as well.

However, for you, are there some situations in which "murder" is justified, or understandable, or acceptable, or "the lesser of two evils"?

If only babies came with bootstraps included...:

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The only abortion double standard I can think of is calling yourself pro life and not allowing exceptions for the life of the mother.

Talking to you Marco Rubio and Scott Walker

edit on 16-8-2015 by HighFive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Well, if they don't have them, then they should work to get them!

I don't want my taxdollars going to buy bootstraps for babies who are too lazy to work!

Jeez.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

If I had to kill in self-defense, I would still carry the stain of that act on my psyche.

Any moral person would feel the same, I would hope.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

originally posted by: beezzer

Do you find rape and incest horrible?

Apparently you don't find it horrible enough to warrant giving women the choice to terminate the development of the fetus

So you feel that some murders can and are justified.

To each his own.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: HighFive
The only abortion double standard I can think of is calling yourself pro life and not allowing exceptions for the life of the mother.

Talking to you Marco Rubio and Scott Walker

Perhaps, as Muse pointed out above, they are only "pro" state control of women's bodies.

They only hate government overreach when they're not in control.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Speaking of "justified murders", did you have a comment on "collateral damage" as I asked above?

Or "terminal force" used by law enforcement?

Are these murders "justifiable", do you think?
edit on 10Sun, 16 Aug 2015 10:10:30 -050015p102015866 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: L.A.B

What if the male partner, at first seems perfect, then later she discovers he's totally scary and abusive? This is the pattern - charm up front, abuse later.

Deception can happen on both sides, in other words. Only a long delay AND the woman or man taking FULL responsibility for their own birth control if a child is not desired (i.e. they each use it and do not rely on the other to provide it) might mitigate this.

In an ideal circumstance, two honest people make a decision to be partners and make every effort to not have a child until full commitment can happen and both parties wish it (if it does then they agree in advance to make a decision or raise the child together), or, if they are able to wait until commitment can happen, with the idea that a child might come and they would both be responsible, then none of this is an issue - the rules are set. How often does this happen in reality? 16 and 17 year olds aren't totally incapable of this, but they are not fully mature yet, and unless they are fully educated and supported in making mature decisions, I wouldn't expect mature behavior, especially given our culture.

@ the OP - Your experience indicates that you were not ready to have a mature relationship at 16, as painful as that may be, and I can guarantee you would have had an incredibly tough time raising a child on your own at 16 if the girl had believed you would do that and it would have fallen back to her to handle - or would it have fallen to your parents?

You had a very painful experience that was compounded by a later inability to have children. I'm sorry you experienced this! It is not all the girl's fault, however. You both made an unwise choice that had unintended and powerful consequences. Maybe you can forgive her and yourself someday, and maybe you can find another way to be a parent to children you will love - God knows there are so many children hungry for love and care. I was adopted. You can still be a father!

peace,
AB

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: kellyjay
i think its odd when people refer to the fetus as a "clump of cells", that suddenly become intact lungs and intact hearts when PP is selling those parts for profit.

but thats none of my business *sips tea*

If you made it your business enough to research it you'd know that your statement is factually inaccurate.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Speaking of "justified murders", did you have a comment on collateral damage as I asked above?

Or "terminal force" used by law enforcement?

Are these murders "justifiable", do you think?

I've answered your questions.

Murder carries a moral consequence. Period.

Most justify it to alleviate themselves of guilt.

An amoral individual doesn't concern themselves with guilt. Therefore there is no effort to justify the act.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join