It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan raises warning level on volcano not far from nuclear plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Japan has raised the warning level on Sakurajima a mountain on the southern island of Kyushu to an unprecedented 4, for prepare to evacuate, from 3. Roughly 100 people could be affected.

This volcano is only 31 miles from a just restarted nuclear plant , in fact it is the first reactor to be restarted under new safety standards put in place after the 2011 Fukushima disaster.

The plant was restarted Tuesday So I guess it might get a good test, because it is located near five giant calderas, crater-like depressions formed by past eruptions.

Normally I wouldnt give this much thought, but since its Japan and nuclear plant related I figured ATS would like to see it.

apan warned on Saturday that a volcano 50 km (31 miles) from a just-restarted nuclear reactor is showing signs of increased activity, and said nearby residents should prepare to evacuate.

Sakurajima, a mountain on the southern island of Kyushu, is one of Japan's most active volcanoes and erupts almost constantly. But a larger than usual eruption could be in the offing, an official at the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

"There is the danger that stones could rain down on areas near the mountain's base, so we are warning residents of those areas to be ready to evacuate if needed," the official added.

www.reuters.com...:+Trending+Content&utm_content=55ceb36c04d3013 e50000001&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

saw this tweeet about an hour ago The site is is linked too is in Japanese

NHK: Growing possibility Japan's Sakurajima volcano will erupt, Japan Meteorological Agency says - @nhk_news

www3.nhk.or.jp...
edit on 15-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

What a horrible place to have a nuclear plant. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

It's 30 miles from the volcano. It has been erupting fairly regularly, last in 2013.
What do you think the volcano might do to the power plant?

edit on 8/15/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Here is a link to a website with information on this volcano. It says this volcano is one of the most active in the world. Link also has webcams so you can view in real time. www.volcanodiscovery.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It's 30 miles from the volcano. What do you think the volcano might do to the power plant?

Maybe rain down hell fire. lol

ETA.. Who would have thought a EQ would cause the biggest nuclear disaster in history?
edit on 15-8-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

30 miles away? I don't think it's that sort of volcano.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
fingers crossed for no combined volcano-nuclear cataclysm.

edit on R2015th2015-08-15T23:53:55-05:0020150pm2264 by RoScoLaz4 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4
Next week on SciFi.
Nukeano!

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

They do know that no matter how much nuclear waste they end up leaking into the ocean, it won't actually create Godzilla, right?

No giant kick ass super lizard to beat Japans enemies in exchange for the occasional rampage.
edit on 8/16/2015 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

They do know that no matter how much nuclear waste they end up leaking into the ocean, it won't actually create Godzilla, right?

Well we dont know 100% for sure it wont..

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Ecuador declared a state of emergency today also.

Ecuador’s government declared a nationwide state of emergency Saturday to prepare for a possible major eruption of a snow-capped volcano south of the nation’s capital, Quito. The decree, which includes suspending some constitutional rights and banning media from publishing unauthorized information, will allow the government to redirect budgeted funds for a possible emergency and prevent rumors from inciting panic, President Rafael Correa said in his weekly television and radio address to the nation. The measures will last up to 60 days.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
That would have to be one lucky hole in one for the volcano to do damage to that Nuclear Plant. Only if it triggers a huge quake in that area as well that causes power failure to the plants cooling system.
edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamfox1
Power failure, not so much. They do have backups.
I'm not aware of massive earthquake being associated with this sort of volcano. Or any?

edit on 8/16/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Did Krakatoa have any earthquake like effects .

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Well...lets see.
en.wikipedia.org...
Yup. No indication of strength though.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

since this volcano has been erupting "regularly", that means all the earth above it is loose, so there will not be any huge cracking of rock strata. so 30 miles away should be safe(ish). governments (like China has) should switch development to Thorium. far far safer, simpler, and ive even got some in my back garden. similar reason (stupidity) they dont switch to water-powered cars, and magnetic free-energy. Big Oil and Big Pharma want humans to stay in their Big Money grip.

the solution to progress, is to abandon mortal concerns and aim for the next life. but do it as a Pagan Existentialist and stay away from "other peoples" gods and books, just Zenistically study your own internal Source of Thoughts (SOT), ironically without attempting to "talk to" IT. only Stay Attuned, reject all thoughts you dont want, and select the few which seem (Kamanically) to be your "next useful thought" (NUT), then you will see a successful life is a String of Nuts !!

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   

It certainly wont be the last disaster....looking at where they are all located throughout the world...

I think we get what...one disaster every 10 years or so?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Silly Phage where do you think Godzilla came from....and your statement reminded me of sharknado haha

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
who even builds a nuclear plant remotely near a volcano i mean seriously who does that?!?!?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: kellyjay
who even builds a nuclear plant remotely near a volcano i mean seriously who does that?!?!?
Define "remotely near", would you say that's an oxymoron like "jumbo shrimp"? How far away should a nuclear plant be from a volcano?

Japan's very existence is shaped by violent forces in the Earth so that is a problem Japan has to deal with. They have so many volcanoes that depending on the distance limits one would impose, it could be very difficult to find nuclear reactor sites. I think the bigger problem is fault lines. they are also quite numerous in Japan and probably a bigger threat.

As others implied regular eruptions are a good thing, it usually means pressure is being released and isn't building up for a massive explosion. When it doesn't erupt, and pressure builds up, is when we should worry, so I'm not worried about this eruption as far as nuclear plant safety.

top topics

join