It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can atheist believe?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: eroutt

If i had my way, There would be no main stream religions! You could still believe in what you like

So you would throw out the main Faiths and be comfortable allowing cults like Scientology or Mormonism to continue.
And because you have no beliefs you'd like to shop on a Sunday hmmm

did not think that all the way
organised religions is what i should of said! hmm!

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
All atheist believe in god when it comes down to life or death situation.
Like being in a foxhole in war, you learn quick to believe.

This is a terrible analogy and just false. You just can't understand what it means to not believe in god/s.
I think it would be pretty difficult to convince an atheist to go to war, much less climb in a foxhole and ambush people he is not personally upset with.

The quote "there are no atheists in foxholes" leads me to believe that we are not gullible enough to get into them.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: RustyNailer
What I find hilarious is that atheists concern themselves so much with a being that they believe is imaginary. So why is something you deem non-existent, dominating your thoughts? Why even call yourselves atheists? Why even waste one second of your only existence for eternity on the subject if you're sure there s no God?....Underneath all your layers of doubt lye your true answer.
I don't concern myself with god/s. I deal with the people who do. They are constantly belittling others and pushing to have more and more influence on the world i am a part of. Without people like us, we would be living in a much stricter society. One that you would not find very pleasant. Think salem witch trials and the crusades. If people like us were not so outspoken and firm in our disbelief of the old world religion that people like you try to resurrect, and keep alive, we would all have been put to death by your religious leaders.

You should thank a secular atheist that you weren't burned at the stake or stoned to death by now.
edit on 15-8-2015 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I don't know, can they? lol...

Can't an atheist change their beliefs at any time like the rest of us, unbranding themselves at will if they choose not to meet the accepted definition?

You either believe in a god(s) or you don't. What and who they are is your business and how people choose to incorporate them into their life is private as long as it doesn't harm or impede on anybodies right to their privacy.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Atheists can change their minds when new convincing info is brought to their attention. I'm sure we would agree on 99% of things. I have just never seen anything that has convinced me that god/s are real. For some reason this angers a lot of people.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

All atheist believe in god when it comes down to life or death.

STFU and move on HATER!

Well, that is very christian like of of...

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

No its a dumb label for people discontent with society.

don't use labels on yourself

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: RustyNailer
What I find hilarious is that atheists concern themselves so much with a being that they believe is imaginary. So why is something you deem non-existent, dominating your thoughts? Why even call yourselves atheists? Why even waste one second of your only existence for eternity on the subject if you're sure there s no God?....Underneath all your layers of doubt lye your true answer.

And I find it hilarious that it concerns you so much, that many of you spend your lives trying to convert the world to your cult. Maybe the reason we spend so much time thinking about imaginary entities is because you are so focused on proving to us they exist. Like preaching on street corners, knocking on peoples doors, leaving tracts and flyers on peoples cars, and in their mail boxes. As well as posting on forums like this telling us what heathens we are, and how we're going to hell. I can't imagine why we would think about it at all, any more than I can imagine why you would take the time to post such an obnoxious comment in this thread.

On topic: Sure atheists can "believe". Just not in god.
edit on 8/15/2015 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Who says you require 'proof'? Certainty is more than sufficient.

Proof is only needed to convince others or rebut those that fear the consequences of 'soul' and all that it implies.

If your require proof for yourself, then it's your issue....

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think there are two kinds of atheists - the ones who really don't believe and are comfortable with that and the ones who really do believe and are angry at, or hate, God. The latter group aren't properly atheists, but that's often what they call themselves.

Or...or...maybe they're angry because they're tired of Christians telling them they really do believe, and they're just angry at god.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I think there are two kinds of atheists - the ones who really don't believe and are comfortable with that and the ones who really do believe and are angry at, or hate, God. The latter group aren't properly atheists, but that's often what they call themselves.

Then there are agnostics who aren't really sure what they believe, but they don't believe it's been proven either whether there is or isn't a God (or gods).

If you're angry at or hate God, you're not an Atheist at all. Because you'd have believe in God first to be angry at God.

If you're angry at God then you're just a defiant member of whatever Religion is based on the God you're mad at.

Atheists simply don't believe in a God. They usually have other various beliefs of all kinds however.

Sometimes it's a matter of what is meant by God as well. God to one person may be something totally different to someone else and with a totally different definition.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

All atheist believe in god when it comes down to life or death.

Pascals wager...and if you're suddenly believing "to cover your butt" then it isn't really believing is it.

"There are no atheists in foxholes" is a cliche - trotting out as if it wee evidence is about what I expect from a religious nutjob who can' fae up to the lack of actual evidence for his/her fairy/elf/dragon/old man
Get back to me if and when you get into a situation. (god forbid)

How about hanging upside down from my straps listening to the petrol leaking out the filler?

How dare you call me a "Nutjob" Because I have what you lack, it's called faith. I don't push religion on anybody and no one should either.

I didn't call you a nutjob.

I said that is the sort of thing I expect from nutjobs. You might choose to take it as an admonishment because you shouldn't be saying it since you are not a nutjob.

But hey - you know yourself better than me.

I have beliefs that makes me a "nutjob"?

I don't know - do you??

STFU and move on HATER!

Because only you are allowed to have opinions that offend other people and because you know all about how I feel?

No thanks.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Hey, I only claimed atheist because I had no idea what an agnostic was. I then decided to go that route because I definitely thought and believed their to be higher beings or maybe one. When it really came down to it though and actually thought about it, I decided that if I would even think about worshiping anything, it would be Time itself. I believe that's the closest to a biblical god that you'll get.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I do believe that the divine is very miss understood on this level of creation and allowed to be very miss understood to see how the souls here handle that lack of information.

I have had personal experiences with the other side so the whole follow my religion or face damnation do not work at all on me. I know that atheists who do the right thing have nothing to fear from their lack of believing. If they are meant to have proof they will find/seek/will be sent the proof they need on the higher levels.

The spiritual realm make sense on a level that human religions always seem to fall short off. A problem with human lack of awareness I guess.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

If Lennon was assassinated, it wasn't for that. There have always been people like him, and people with the public eye for that matter. Why weren't they assassinated?

You are free to think what you like, believe what you like, but Lennon wasn't assassinated for becoming atheist or New Age or whatever it was he was. And if you think he was, then I get your implication seems to be it was because he was a "revolutionary" to the system and they couldn't have that.

I'll pose to you it was for a different reason. I'll pose to you that if they assassinated him for this, it was to make him a martyr to the system. They knew if he died at the height of his subversive popularity as he did, his power to sway would never diminish. And indeed, he seems to be powerful for you.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

If you read what I said, I said they aren't properly atheist, but that's what they call themselves.

For people who don't believe, God spends an awful lot of time rent free inside their heads. I'm sure you know the type. They act like God stung them as children and they devote a large part of their time to angry jeering and attempts to debunk this or that facet of religion (usually the one that stung them). This is why I say they aren't so much true atheists as angry.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

If you read what I said, I said they aren't properly atheist, but that's what they call themselves.

For people who don't believe, God spends an awful lot of time rent free inside their heads. I'm sure you know the type. They act like God stung them as children and they devote a large part of their time to angry jeering and attempts to debunk this or that facet of religion (usually the one that stung them). This is why I say they aren't so much true atheists as angry.

Ahh. Those folks aren't angry at god. They are angry at people who try to shove their religion in their faces. They are angry at you. You just don't understand that, so you pass on the problem to god like you do so many other problems. Atheists don't believe in god, but we do believe in people who try to misrepresent everyone who is not like them. That does make us angry.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Or maybe it is that some of them are angry at the hypocrisy of the religions and cannot see the beauty of the divine in the teachings. To me Paul was the reason Christian faith did not make sense at all.

He is contradicting Yeshua changing Yeshuas teaching to fit Paul:s need. Just like Muhammad changed what god/Allah is to suit his wants. Being a slave to your own creator that you can change the rules what the creator think is right is very convenient.

Two murders who have had more influence on humanity than most peace loving souls on this planet. Why listen to souls what the divine is from souls that have proven they are not measuring up in that lifetime when they preached? It is like listening to a predator to find out what herbivores are. Quite strange.
edit on 16-8-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think atheists forget/cant think that in fact, we are moving unbeliveably fast as a planet, as a solar system, as a galaxy, there just HAS to be inteligent "force" to keep it all going, otherwise we would/already had crashed to another planets/solarsystems/galaxies.

no need for stupidass 2000year old faked "religion" to debunk atheists

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
As a person who believe in the Force and the Jedi Philosophy, I would say I may be a spiritual atheist because while I do agree with the existence of ghosts and spiritual energies binding and surrounding us, I don't agree with the existence of god. For me the gods in whatever world religion are spirit guides that may have flaws hence explains why the Christian god has different behaviors throughout the Bible.
edit on 16-8-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join