It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you truly "awake" if you still follow and talk politics?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my ramblings. This is not meant to cast a light on any specific type of person or mentality, but rather my thoughts on an antiquated term tied closely to ones character and ego.

I’m not here to convince anybody of anything and my opinion on the matter is my own. I’m just looking for some friendly conversation regarding what I believe has plagued the house of ATS and is driving certain members into becoming emotional poster children for the “team” they support.

It has created, as it does every election cycle, a volatile playground of angst and mud slinging. Not a good way to conduct ourselves around here.

Anyways...

Staying informed is different than being awake. While not dependent on each other, in order to be truly informed, one must be in an awakened state. The term “awakened”, for lack of a better word, should be used loosely and will be described and interpreted differently by each individual. Some have shared similar experiences and the general concept behind the term is certainly shared by everybody.

Our stories become life changing events and the process one goes through can leave us in a greater state of confusion than when we started. We reach out for answers and hope other people can provide closure to our open ended thoughts. The bigger picture comes into focus and finding the truth becomes less taxing when you have more than one person looking for it. On the flip-side, agreeing on another person’s findings is where the original concept of questioning everything can turn on you and will become a delicate dance for you to master.

I learned at an early age to question everything I was told. This frustrated my parents, as I was often rebellious and questioning their ideals. Due to an early tragedy, I’ve had to raise myself into adulthood alone which in itself taught me to intently observed my surroundings and extract the lesson when available. This began my transition into a free thinker, but forming my own opinions about complex topics at a young age ensured my stubbornness later on in life. Your thoughts and actions become trial and error when lacking the guidance one might receive from their parents or a close role model. I slowly drifted from organized institutions and had trouble joining specific social constructs, even when they benefited me financially and intellectually.

When alone for long periods of time, you become your best friend and your worst enemy and finally, maintaining your equilibrium becomes a necessary task. The sooner you learn to let go of things that are beyond your control, the easier it will become to handle what is. Clearing your mind of worry and fear allows your true brilliance to shine through, revealing new ways of thinking and personal traits that some might have never realized they had. Unfavorable emotion takes a back seat when expressing your thoughts and opinions. People begin to take notice and become interested in your independent way of thinking.

Real collaborative discussions start to reveal the answers and the truth often crops up more often when you are actively seeking it. With that said, do not allow your mind to be bought and sold to the highest bidder. Avoid listening to false prophets and their encompassing interpretation of life. Most if not all truths worth seeking are found from within and anyone claiming they know better than you has ingratiated themselves with the burden of proof. In the end, its up to you to believe it or not, taking the status of right or wrong and reducing it down to a set of beliefs held for an indefinite amount of time. These beliefs are your truths and will shape the way you navigate through life. Holding them or letting them go has drastic consequences on yourself and others.

The less you carry, the easier it becomes to explore and entertain multiple angles as is often required to form a more well rounded opinion. We are inclined to believe those we trust, but the trust of an individual is often thinner than ice and easy to break. Beliefs become investments and the payouts justify the initial buy in. When one is directly benefiting from their beliefs such as many politicians do, the truth becomes secondary as life gets more comfortable and rewarding. We lose sight that the real rewards are the truths we find in ourselves. When we find and apply them correctly, most of the monetary or material kickbacks happen naturally. You don’t need to break your moral compass to be successful.

Many self proclaimed “awakened” individuals are simply falling back onto their egos and lack the ability to turn their lives into a truly selfless endeavor. This all comes back to my thread title and why most of us find ourselves here. We have all had trouble swallowing some pill or another and our lack of trust in authority begs us to seek answers to questions we share on our own terms. I speak for myself when I say the entire thing is rigged, as there are many flaws in oversimplifying the system when trying to make a point. When taking a step back, you are not only observing a single machine, but a system of systems. If the illusion was too obvious, the entire thing would fall apart, so its broken down into smaller sub-systems in order to maintain better control and oversight.

It doesn't take much to start a landslide and a few sentences out of the right figurehead puts the whole developed world into an uproar. The saying, “how do you know when a politician is lying...”, was not created in jest, but sickly reflects that which is actually true. The exceptions to this rule, who do serve our country with our best interests in mind often never make it to the top of the crap heap and their backs become the floor for rats, scoundrels and cheats to walk upon. They do what they can locally and hope there successes don’t get ripped off by potbellied controllers reveling in their own self serving policies.

In my opinion, politics is gross and comparable to a dog show. The candidates for presidency might as well keep their mouth shut, as none of their ideals support the will of the people. They are well groomed, lack real substance and their bark offers little precursor to their bite. Louder proponents often speak for quieter ones adding to the illusion and the actual will of the people is often misrepresented to be larger than it appears.You are told what you want to hear mixed with a dash of political identify to represent either side of the isle. An economy does not need politics to run and if the government put as much energy into getting things done that matter as it does mulling over unimportant issues and violating our rights and privacy, things might actually begin to improve.
edit on 15-8-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Part of my awakening began with getting rid of cable television and most forms of programming. You immediately fall out of most discussions and feel as though you were dropped on a foreign planet. The television had the ability to inform, but chose to lie to me instead. Like any class, the material can be misinterpreted and falsely absorbed if the teacher lacks the skill of clearly portraying the information without bias. I had to work double time to become informed as I was now actively seeking and cross referencing rather than being spoon-fed and told what to believe. I learned there is a specific group of individuals, mainly politicians and lawmakers, that have zero credibility or bearing on my life.

I feel compelled to dip my toe in the water from time to time because I enjoy the debate, but have always felt that same feeling after tuning in that I had received as a child when first biting into that chocolate bunny and finding out that it was hollow. I felt as empty as that piece of chocolate and could only finish swallowing the damn thing due to its sweet and enticing nature. I have since received this feeling numerous times, often involving the same groups of people spread throughout the political landscape and positions of power. The more they talk, the more trust I relinquish. Many have already received the end of my rope and are left nipping at my heels wanting attention. They make themselves more attractive and use fleeting buzzwords that induces a sense of understanding comparable to eating a bag of sugar.

In the end, you will be full of “it” and we all know that too much sugar is unhealthy. They reach out and manipulate our peers, turning them on us, using their words as weapons. We are left in a state of confusion and isolate ourselves, putting walls up everywhere we go. Eventually, we will lack the ability to properly stay informed and lose interest, focusing more on unimportant things. Our intelligence has been hijacked and as much as I blame the individual first, what one truly does not know cannot be used against them in good faith.

Since we are ultimately the deciders of what we believe and express, you’ll have an easier time helping someone come to their own conclusion than trying to force them to come to yours. The questions I pose are not meant to insult or demean anyone who does actively follow and involve themselves in politics and I apologize if I come across that way to anyone reading. I don’t usually make threads about what I think and stick to others forms of expression, but today I wanted to pose a few serious questions about the nature of being “aware”.

Is our awareness being clouded and diluted with gags and props? Do politics offer any meaningful contributions to our lives other than to pit us against each other?

What do you believe constitutes as “awake” and does dumbing yourself down to the level that politics are portrayed to the average person contribute negatively to the growth of an individual?

Is it possible to shut government and politics out of ones life completely and navigate successfully through a life that is seemingly “loaned” to us by them?

edit on 15-8-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I personally think politics is ONLY here to divide us, especially with the two party system in America. If anyone roots for one side or another, they are not "awake" and are still feeding the system that enslaves them.

The political banter on these forums, particularly the left vs right paradigm, really upsets me because neither side has the best interest of the people in mind, and those who support one side and demonize the other are still part of the charade.

Those who think either side is better for the country ignore the slogan of this site in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Yes, I think you can still follow politics but anyone who doesn't understand the choices have already been picked is not awake.

There are a few differences between parties in general they all are going to do the same thing.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The cold hard truth is politics is a rigged system, period. From "news" to debates, it's all designed to sway your thoughts in one specific way or another. They chose specific "domestic" issues designed to split a populace against themselves....if that doesn't work there's always Ferguson.

The trajectory of American ideology hasn't changed one iota from Clinton, to Bush or Bush to Obama except that each president has gotten more brazen. How do I love thee? Let me count the drone strikes.

Really, the obsession with football wether be it soccer for some or pig skins for others is a good microcosm of how and why it works. Thankfully, all of it makes me puke.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

You obviously put some time and effort into the post. Nice job. I am not going to address the many covered topics for my own reasons, except one. I also believe that in general people are on ats searching for something. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you hit something there. I know I am, it's why I have so many non msm sites I read.

Not to bore you or go into details, wanted to say nice post, nice effort.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I follow it partly to know who we will be dealing with in government and partly for the entertainment factor. The party and partisan bickering part of politics literally makes me nauseous with disgust.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Yes.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I believe there are 2 enlightenments.

The true enlightenment is spiritual by definition.
But there is a physical enlightenment to the world around you.

Knowledge is power and the enlightened always rise in an attempt to end physical corruption. This is the foundation of revolution. It's cyclical.

However I do believe a time will come when the spiritually enlightened will rise to end this cyclical existence of power over peace. But to do so they must be enlightened spiritually and enlightened to the mechanisms of the physical world.

To lean to one side does not make one unenlightened. Failure to understand both sides is what makes one unenlightened.
edit on 15-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Is our awareness being clouded and diluted with gags and props? Do politics offer any meaningful contributions to our lives other than to pit us against each other?

From a post I made a few nights ago
"Why does the vid seem to present itself in a comedy fashion? Using comedy is one of the most powerful tools the shills have!"

What do you believe constitutes as “awake”
Asking those questions that we're not suppose to think about.

Is it possible to shut government and politics out of ones life completely and navigate successfully through a life that is seemingly “loaned” to us by them?
There was a time when it was possible, but now tptb are going after those who dare to not need need them.
edit on 15-8-2015 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I was looking for words. Thank-you

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'm awake, I also understood I share this planet with seven billion other souls who has a illusion of reality, avoid politics if it isn't forced extremism

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Actually there are not just two sides... But that's a whole other story for another day.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

You obviously put some time and effort into the post. Nice job. I am not going to address the many covered topics for my own reasons, except one. I also believe that in general people are on ats searching for something. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you hit something there. I know I am, it's why I have so many non msm sites I read.

Not to bore you or go into details, wanted to say nice post, nice effort.

Thanks.

ATS is what we make it and while the system is rigged, we have more control over our thoughts and expression on this website than out in public. You get a few meat puppets, but the funny part is those that get paid to do it and their attitude are not far off from those who do it naturally at ATS for free. As far as I can tell, there is no actual agenda going on here even though I'm sure certain people are watching. I'd imagine anything illegal or against the T&Cs will be seen and acted upon.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
The cold hard truth is politics is a rigged system, period. From "news" to debates, it's all designed to sway your thoughts in one specific way or another. They chose specific "domestic" issues designed to split a populace against themselves....if that doesn't work there's always Ferguson.

The trajectory of American ideology hasn't changed one iota from Clinton, to Bush or Bush to Obama except that each president has gotten more brazen. How do I love thee? Let me count the drone strikes.

Really, the obsession with football wether be it soccer for some or pig skins for others is a good microcosm of how and why it works. Thankfully, all of it makes me puke.

I agree. They need to manufacture talking points for election time, usually by intentionally breaking the system only so they can get elected by pitching the perfect plan to repair and restore American.

They don't act or acknowledge the corruption while it's happening, but during election time all the candidates scream about ending the previous administrations failed policies, depending on what "side" they're on.

They rally their people and pledge to our surprise, end the corruption, take money out of politics, restore order...blah...blah...

Its ironic, most scrape their way to the top by using dirty tricks and lies. That one aspect makes me think 90% of the system is rigged and the other 10% is the matrix smokescreen. Maybe there are a few candidates that are genuine just to make it look believable.

Oh, and it's funny how those Planned Parenthood videos went public during election time, just when the pot needed stirring the hardest.

When states have tried to expel Planned Parenthood clinics from their Medicaid programs, they’ve ended up in court. The same thing could happen to a federal law.

Link

Practice your battle cry and put an Alka-Seltzer in your mouth just before you show up! Everyone loves to get mouthy during election time and instead of some way combining our opposing ideas, we grip them tight and wear them like a suit of armor. Some peoples minds are impenetrable.

We really need to come together and hold our elected officials accountable and liable for keeping their pledges and making mistakes. The "system" designed to do it for us either lacks the courage or is part of the problem. It makes us very weak as a nation when they control the courts and the weapons we pay literally an arm and a leg for.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

When one is directly benefiting from their beliefs such as many politicians do, the truth becomes secondary as life gets more comfortable and rewarding. We lose sight that the real rewards are the truths we find in ourselves.

I profoundly agree with this.

I don’t usually make threads about what I think and stick to others forms of expression, but today I wanted to pose a few serious questions about the nature of being “aware”. 

What do you believe constitutes as “awake” and does dumbing yourself down to the level that politics are portrayed to the average person contribute negatively to the growth of an individual? 

1) is our awareness being diluted with gags and props?

lol, I don't know, probably... perhaps when you choose or are forced to participate.. yes.
I'm not sure that it's e only thing diluting our awareness though, and I'm not sure that external influences are as much to blame as internal influences, in terms of what someone chooses to think. So again we have a choice, so we can change things if we have capacity and free will to do so. But I think perhaps one of the biggest problem facing society today is the conditioning that diminishes the capacity for individual choice and free will. That is a trend that we can and must resists, but first we have to be free to recognise it. Unfortunately it's one we have little to no control over in the broader context of modern society, unless you somehow manage to expand your sphere of influence until your determination pays off. Most though don't have the will of skills sets or opportunity to do so.

Okay on to question two now...
2) Do politics offer any meaningful contributions to our lives other than to pit us against each other? 

I think in many ways yes, for example the national health service. But politics is as broad as it gets, so inevitably divisions flare up particularly on key issues like the economy. A better question to ask would be does economic policy offer any meaningful contributions to our lives other than to put us against each other, for example. But I'm sure that's one of many you could pull out of the hat when you deconstruct the original question thoroughly. They would be worth asking about too I'd imagine, but this thread could baloon into many different threads at once, so I wouldn't do so here if I were you.

3) What do you believe constitutes as “awake” and does dumbing yourself down to the level that politics are portrayed to the average person contribute negatively to the growth of an individual? 

The first part of the question is difficult to answer because everyone will speak differently about the idea of being awake, so its subjective not objective and therefore tricky. I would say though being awake is being able to work things out clearly and not letting subconscious dramas interfere with your thought process. Being awake is a constant battle. Being awake is being a warrior. Being awake is mastering your own mind. No one can wake you up but yourself. To answer the second part of the question, yes if it is a theme in your life that overwhelms your ability to think clearly and independently of those dramas. Politics is certainly dumbed down, and it certainly can dumb people down as a result. But it doesn't dumb you down when you engage it with an awakened mind, so long as you disengage from from the dramas completely and by solomn vow never ever associate or contribute to them internally or externally, you should be fine, you may even change things in politics for the better. Not all politicians after all are bad, and not all political debate is dumbed down... hypotehtically.

4) Is it possible to shut government and politics out of ones life completely and navigate successfully through a life that is seemingly “loaned” to us by them? 

That depends where you live in the world and what you do... If you don't have a passport for example, you would find it very difficult to travel. But yeah im sure its perfeclty possible if you were serious enough about going off grid. Did you read the thread about the man who lived in a camp in the US mainland for nearly thirty years without ever meeting another human being in all that time, except in passing on the trail? He stole from nearby cabins next to a lake and was finally jailed. But he managed thirty long years off grid without any interaction with the government or politics. I'm sure there are similar stories I don't know about. If you wanted to navigate through life without interacting with the government or politics in the modern world though (as in on grid), I don't know, you'd have to be a genius and very creative and likeable. Buddhist monks in the UK try to do that but it's actually illegal fro them to do Alms rounds (going from house to house begging for food) so they receive donations from visitors who come to them with food and other necessities. That's on the extreme side of renounciation though, I mean they literally aren't allowed to possess any belongings whatsoever. On some level though I'm sure it would be very rewarding. But difficult to do for your whole life especially in a traditionally non Buddhist society.

Nice thread btw, s & f.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I still don't understand that number of people who complain about the system and then think feeding more power to it will fix it.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It's my contention that: people entering politics are delusional and paternalistic... to different degrees, but they do think in egotistical, elitist terms and can sleep at night while a significant portion of their society is suffering.

Our society's new context-free political "discussions" and "debates" are only theater.

Our journalists are failing us as we are failing ourselves... squirrel! (movie reference... apologies)

The failings we see now were predicted years ago as societal trends were analyzed. Many bad things in society are identified and discussed years before they fully materialized... and soundly ignored because they are unpleasant. Cassandra Complex, anyone? Or how about that new anxiety complex climatologists are experiencing due to their knowledge of, and inability to effect, Climate Change?

The solutions? Other than business as usual until we all die, there's quality education and maybe an elected body chosen by a draft from local nominations where the panel cannot nominate themselves, but know the people they are nominating personally and are comfortable with letting them rule... that's my take anyway. Someone actually wanting to rule is to be avoided at all costs.

Good OP, though... despite this drifty response.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2
Yes, I think you can still follow politics but anyone who doesn't understand the choices have already been picked is not awake.

There are a few differences between parties in general they all are going to do the same thing.

This only applies to the federal level though. Elections are completely up for grabs in most local elections. Most local candidates don't get any financing from the DNC or RNC either. And you don't even have to be affiliated w/a political party to win most local elections. Some literally only need a few hundred votes or less.

The problem w/most people who discuss politics is they focus on the national & international level while completely ignoring the local things they can actually change. Then they complain that neither party cares about them, even though those parties have no influence on what goes on in their neighborhoods or communities.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Define "awake."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join