It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concealed Carry Permit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Thinking of getting a concealed carry permit. Why not go around packing heat? I know how to shoot and gun safety and all that. Really ups the confidence level.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Personally, I just carry a gun without having a CCP. You're not required to register your guns in NM, so there's no records indicating that I even own any, and I like to keep it that way. I figure if I'm ever I'm a situation where the cops find out I'm carrying concealed without a license, that's probably going to be the least of my concerns.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Cool man.

Get a dragon too, though.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Man if I could only get my hands on a dragon

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toolman18
Thinking of getting a concealed carry permit. Why not go around packing heat? I know how to shoot and gun safety and all that. Really ups the confidence level.

I've had a permit for 22 years, and even though my home state has little conditions attached, I wanted to be safe for myself and others. I take yearly refresher classes on RCWs, overtravel, situational awareness etc. I also practice regularly, mainly for muscle memory, and to keep what I've learned fresh.

In over 2 decades of carry, I've had to draw my pistol for self-defense on 2 occasions. The first was an armed(knife) attempted mugging, the second a robbery attempt(knife II). No shots fired, one suspect caught, but no injury to myself or family. With LE 5-10 minutes away, it is my responsibility to protect myself and my family.

If I can give you one bit of advice, know the laws and and situations where and when you may carry, and what municipal/state regs cover you when you are in self-defense scenarios.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toolman18

if a gun boosts your confidence (its a great reason to get a conceal permit.), imagine what a uniform and license to kill can do.
you sound like a perfect candidate for a LEO.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Toolman18

Really ups the confidence level.

That could be a good for you not to carry. It's not there to make you feel like Superman or let you get yourself in to situations you'd normally stay far away from. It's there as a last resort, when all else has failed. Yes, even running away. Carrying a weapon is a great responsibility, not a balm for your ego.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Really ups the confidence level.

That could be a good for you not to carry. It's not there to make you feel like Superman or let you get yourself in to situations you'd normally stay far away from. It's there as a last resort, when all else has failed. Yes, even running away. Carrying a weapon is a great responsibility, not a balm for your ego.

Well said.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Umm, I guess you guys haven't been held up at gunpoint before. I have and it's totally demoralizing. I'm never going to have that little control again. Be prepared

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Be prepared and know what is permitted in your state. I'm in Wisconsin and have spoken to many LEOS , active and retired , at our gun shows. From what I understand, in many self defense cases where lethal force is used you'll still get arrested and need legal council. Still, I'd rather be alive and need a lawyer than the other scenario.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Cool man.

Get a dragon too, though.

lol.
FN SWEet idea.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
Personally, I just carry a gun without having a CCP. You're not required to register your guns in NM, so there's no records indicating that I even own any, and I like to keep it that way. I figure if I'm ever I'm a situation where the cops find out I'm carrying concealed without a license, that's probably going to be the least of my concerns.

That's right! You may wind up dead if the conversation takes a wrong turn when they find a gun on you.
If you would rather drink and drive and take the chance on a DUI charge of thousands of dollars, I can understand that you would rather not bother with a CC permit either. But really, you are only potentially sitting yourself for hurt.

Using that gun for a good reason with a CC permit is likely to make you wise you had invested the bucks for the permit. Some states these days don't look too kindly to unlicensed "helpful" citizens with guns.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
You may wind up dead if the conversation takes a wrong turn when they find a gun on you.

I suppose, if I were to do something stupid and pull it out. Fortunately I'm not that dumb. On the off chance that I am ever approached by a cop while I happen to be carrying, the first thing I'm gonna do is tell them I have a gun on me, and accept the ticket (carrying concealed without a permit here is only a petty misdemeanor).

If you would rather drink and drive and take the chance on a DUI charge of thousands of dollars, I can understand that you would rather not bother with a CC permit either.

That has nothing to do with this topic.

But really, you are only potentially sitting yourself for hurt.

No, not really.

Some states these days don't look too kindly to unlicensed "helpful" citizens with guns.

As I said earlier, in my state you are not required to have any sort of license or to register your firearms. It's perfectly legal for me to open-carry, to conceal a weapon in my vehicle, or to carry a concealed weapon that isn't loaded, and the penalty for carrying a concealed, loaded weapon is basically just a fine.

In the unlikely event that the police find me carrying a concealed weapon, I'll happily pay that fine, rather than going on record as owning any guns.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that others do the same. I live in a state with some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country, and while I may only face a petty misdemeanor charge if caught, I'm sure the penalty is much worse elsewhere. Besides, I'm still breaking the law, and I'm not condoning that.

I'm quite familiar with my state's laws, and I have family in town that actually teach a concealed carry class, but I've decided that the way I'm doing it without a permit is in my best interest.
edit on 8/15/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

You have 10's of thousands of ATS'rs..perhaps as many as 100,000 or more Im sure out of 300,000+ members here, with permits.

If you are asking...perhaps you arent yet ready to obtain one..if you qualify and understand the responsibililty of doing so.

My old range-master makes it clear...to carry one...hopefully...is to NEVER HAVING TO USE IT. Only if you cant do anything else and death is in your or someone else's face and you have no other alternative.

Not play police, not to pull it if you see a fight...or a robber running away down the block. You never draw unless you intend to fire. And you never fire unless you intend to hit your threat. That's a heavy responsibility.

I'm just sayin' here....

PS ALWAYS 1 in the chamber ready as well
edit on 16-8-2015 by mysterioustranger because: PS

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Good decision, as long as you see it as a responsibility and not just a confidence booster (I saw that you posted you were held at gunpoint before, so I get why you said it in that way). The only other things I would suggest are:

- Take a decent hand-to-hand combat class to keep you capable of not using that weapon except for in the worst of scenarios (my preference for that is Krav Maga, but you may like something different)

- Constantly train with your firearm at least once every couple months, if not better

- Find a firearms instructor that does real-world firearms training where you use your own pistol and take a few of those classes

Those three things should make you a well-rounded individual who will only use the firearm as a last resort, and will do so effectively if needed. Hopefully you've already thought about all of this and I'm preaching to the choir, but if not, it's definitely worth considering.

And by all means, if necessary, spend the money and take the classes to get the permit and don't do what AdmireTheDistance is doing by carrying illegally in your state--breaking the law is not a indicator of how responsible you are with a firearm, nor does it reflect well on other concealed-carriers if you were to ever make the news while carrying in a precarious situation without the permit (not to mention it gives a plethora of reasons for a cop to be nervous around you if you're carrying illegally).

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
PS ALWAYS 1 in the chamber ready as well

This, 100%. Your safety for it not firing is your holster and your finger. I don't even have a manual safety on my .40, just a trigger safety that I'm not concerned about swapping out. It's never shot itself without my intentional help yet.

new topics

top topics

join