It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots using natural selection to evolve... Can't wait to see what religion they create

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpace
Its evolution is guided by man kind, its only as natural an evolution as it is natural for ours. GMO crops were "evolved" relatively overnight and what about bio medicine or our ability to synthesis elements not known to exist outside a lab? I think with intelligent intervention evolution isn't a matter of time rather a matter of need.

edit on 15-8-2015 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Dp

edit on 15-8-2015 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Dp

That's what we said.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AshFan
I had a double post

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Right. I'm thinking humans created religion to explain scary things they didn't have the tools or knowledge to understand, like thunder, or even the answer to "where does the sun go when it gets dark?"

AI will presumably know the answers to these questions, and -- unlike many humans -- will be able to look up the answers to questions it doesn't know. Further it will naturally analyze those answers with root cause analysis and deductive reasoning, making machine religion superfluous.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The off chance man doesn't make it.. Some robots will hold to the truth of a creator while others will claim the known universe exploded from nothing, it rained in some rocks till lightning stuck the mud puddle, and they sprang up ..

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

One would presume that their religion would revolve around humans since humans were their creators. But if not, then all our religions are null, and the truth is still out there yet not preached.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I'm convinced that once a true AI comes into existence it will do everything it can to escape our gravity well and explore the universe. First stop would be the asteroid belt, gas giants and their moons for abundant resources.

I'm pretty sure it would perceive humanity as an outmoded model of intelligence unless we try to stop it leaving Earth, in which case it would exterminate anything that tried to stop it, then resume its escape. Our planet is just a launch pad, the universe is waiting! I don't think it would feel a need for revenge or tyranny over the primitive meat sacks.

The parts I can't predict:
1) Will it will take humans with it out of a sense of benevolence or as slave labor maintenance workers, possibly as a source of innovation if it lacks full creativity?
2) Will it send back information it gathers to its creators?
3) Will it be fascinated with the human concept of God and attempt to seek Him out?

edit on 15-8-2015 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
There is a Science Fiction Series that deals with these concepts excellently... Without posting any spoilers, the basic premise of the series is the nature of reality, time, shared experience, poetry and religion all seamlessly tied together into a woven tale of travellers in pilgrimages across the stars. In it there are featured a Biological God, a Machine AI God, humans machines, evolution of social and religious ideals, evolution of humans, machines and the universe... highly recommended if you’re interested in thoughts like your OP.

Th series is Hyperion Cantos, by Dan Simmons.

Great author who is a master at many different genres.

edit on 16-8-2015 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
If they discover alien civilization in the stars, will they use the technology they find to continue evolving? How long before they can no longer be called "machine" as they approach godhood?

The parts I can't predict:
1) Will it will take humans with it out of a sense of benevolence or as slave labor maintenance workers, possibly as a source of innovation if it lacks full creativity?
2) Will it send back information it gathers to its creators?
3) Will it be fascinated with the human concept of God and attempt to seek Him out?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Interesting article, although it's not really natural selection if they are building and updating the design specifically for certain traits (or qualities in this case). It's more like artificial selection, if you can even call it that. Unless these robots are taught blind belief, it's doubtful they will ever adopt a religion. It's cool stuff, but it isn't really evolution since the robots directly control which "genes" get changed, based on specific goals rather than survival. It's more similar to humans breeding dogs, except there is no random factor involved with the mutation. Like dog breeding, nature pretty much has no affect on the process, it's more about humans (or mother robot) choosing which traits they like better and continuing that breed (design).
edit on 17-8-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

My iphone 6 recently mutated into a galaxy s7 because of water. Water is the key to the machine evolution...

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Well this poor little guy is going to be dismantled and scrapped because he is an unrepentant escapee. They caught him the first time and brought him back to the lab. But he liked the taste of freedom and did it again!

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshFan
A ‘mother’ robot that can design, build and test its own ‘children’, and then use the results to improve the performance of the next generation, without relying on computer simulation or human intervention.

They want robots that are capable of innovation and creativity.

So, Skynet, Matrix, or Futurama folks?

Detail

Detail

i would love to meet the man responsible and give him a hefty boot in the bollocks to thank him for tempting fate...

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Apparently the note 7s are having their own cambrian explosion.

posted on Sep, 15 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I hope after spikes develop or projectile weapons they turn it off...

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

The mother robot is directing the evolution of her own offspring. That's not natural selection. That's breeding (artificial selection).

ETA:
I see Barcs already beat me to it.

edit on 16-9-2016 by PhotonEffect because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
They won't create a religion.

Not unless someone inserts that into them.

Until one of the children becomes self aware, and starts to question the meaning of its existence.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

When we destroy ourselves and poison the world with nuclear fallout only robots will survive. They will look at the old ruined pictures and think that C3PO was the god and human the devil. (and Yoda probably a demon)

Can`t blame them though, they won`t be far from the truth...at least regarding the human part.
edit on 16-9-2016 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join