It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Rotation rate & Quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I have heard through the news that the Earths Rotation Rate was slightly affected by the recent earth quake.
Would the Gravity Probe B spacecraft be able to measure this change? Or could the change effect the Gravity Probe B test results?

It is testing two effects:

1) the geodetic effect--the amount by which the Earth warps local spacetime in which it resides, and

2) the frame-dragging effect--the amount by which the rotating Earth drags local spacetime around with it.

More info about the probe is here:
www.gravityprobeb.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
two other threads on this

www.abovetopsecret.com...

good one

kooky one

take your pick

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Notme
I have heard through the news that the Earths Rotation Rate was slightly affected by the recent earth quake.
Would the Gravity Probe B spacecraft be able to measure this change? Or could the change effect the Gravity Probe B test results?

It is testing two effects:

1) the geodetic effect--the amount by which the Earth warps local spacetime in which it resides, and

2) the frame-dragging effect--the amount by which the rotating Earth drags local spacetime around with it.

More info about the probe is here:
www.gravityprobeb.com...

I would imagine that this signifigant of a change would cause all previous data for the probe to be useless (depending on the accuracy of the probe - I assume it will easily detect this change), as the probe depends on very accurate measurements of orbital parameters - which will change for all satellites if the effective radius of the earth changes (this is the change that will effect the length of days).

I'm not sure if the "wobble" will cause problems - although that effect should dissipate with time (how long I have no idea)

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
two other threads on this

good one

kooky one

take your pick

Thanks for the links, but there wasn't any mention about the Gravity Probe B .
I will post the question there also.

top topics

join