It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning to Love Texas,

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
and a Texan on a horse ranch. This is new. Adapting to mesquite, rock, snakes and horses--not friendly. But the sky is amazing, horizon to horizon.

Retired, so the house is undergoing renovation; and the folks in town are friendly so I'm learning to like Texas two-step and their own brand of Western music.

Thought I'd come by and check to see if the news here is any less worse than anyplace else.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS defrag99!
Let me know if I can help you with anything.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Lots of people talk about the weather; but what's scary is maybe they're really trying to do something about it. Is there a category for this topic?

And the other category I want to explore is pharmaceuticals, but that is different from "medicine." Any suggestions?

Appreciate your input.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Welcome aboard defrag99! Strange weather you can discuss on Fragile Earth Forum
and about pharmaceuticals you can talk on Medical Issues & Conspiracies if it is serious stuff or Health & Wellness on BTS

Enjoy your ATS experience

[edit on 29-12-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by defrag99
This is new. Adapting to mesquite, rock, snakes and horses--not friendly. But the sky is amazing, horizon to horizon.

You'll never learn to like mesquite except for the great smell it makes when you cook with it. Those are some ugly trees. (Are they even big enough to be called trees?) The sky in Texas, espically in the Western part, is fantastic. Blue sky for what looks like hundreds of miles. Something you'll learn to love quickly. Wait until summer time and you'll see it almost every day.

Welcome aboard.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Welcome defrag99 Hope you enjoy your time here and im sure you will fit in just fine, So any questions just u2u me

www.abovetopsecret.com...

take a peek at that link it may help

If you have any questions feel free to u2u me

You will find your u2u's in the member center

and also there is a message when you recieve a u2u

also need help getting your avatar up (or pic in your profile) check out this link
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Asala

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Greetings from a Native Texan. I've written a few everyman guides that might be of assistance...

Texas Mentality

and

Proper use of the word Y'all

and

How to get along with Texans

Finally... there's two types of Texans. Those that two-step, and those that were born here. Real cowboys wouldn't be caught dead in those places. Avoid them like the plague.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well, a huge wave killed over a hundred thousand...

We no longer have control over the electoral process...

Our mission in Iraq is still not "accomplished"....

And we're inching closer and closer to WWIII...

Other than that though, we're just peachy!

Welcome! Don't forget your complimentary tin-foil hat...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
These links are valuable and appreciated.

I'm afraid, though, I'm going to have to study "How to get along in Texas" in a little more detail than I can give that topic, today.

FYI, I live where cowboy clothes are the daily rule, where a cowboy riding a horse down Main Street happens all the time, where there is not a single Black, Oriental or MidEastern person in this town, no theatre, no MacDonalds, not even a Wal-Mart.

I guess, this is the Bum#, Egypt, part of Texas, eh? Well, folks here "laak" it that way. So, I just keep quiet.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
lol i would love that riding a horse...you dont see that many guys riding horses down the street in nyc lol unless they are giving you a ride around in the cart thingy lol ohh well.

Welcome To ATS/BTS

Take some time to read the guidelines and rules of the forum and you should have no problems.There are tons of topics that you might be interested in, dont be scared to speak your mind. With that said if you have any probs go to the board's questions and business topic and you should get assistance if not contact a mod or admin

Board Information / Rules & Guidelines

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   

FYI, I live where cowboy clothes are the daily rule, where a cowboy riding a horse down Main Street happens all the time, where there is not a single Black, Oriental or MidEastern person in this town, no theatre, no MacDonalds, not even a Wal-Mart.

Hmmm... sounds like one of the smaller towns between Austin and Houston... or somewhere in the Big Bend area... those are the exceptions to the rule. They're quite friendly...umm...as long as you're white, male, and republican...

I suppose for the moment your best bet is, like you said, to keep your head down, and keep fairly quiet. Folks in Texas get real edgy if you start talking about conspiracies and anything non-conservative. Out of curiosity, what made you choose the life of a horse rancher in Texas? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but there's so many better places to have a ranch. A less deadly state such as Montana, or even Colorado would provide much more beautiful scenery, better grazing lands, nicer weather, and greater prospects for buyers.

You hit the nail on the head about they Texas sky, though. I've been a lot of places, and none of them have a sky like Texas...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the link.

Not being a TexaN is fun in Texas, so long as one keeps their mouth shut.

At the local laundromat, a guy comes in with spurs jingling, back and forth he goes. He's a skinny little thing, probably smokes too much.

Jingle, jingle, jingle. Spurs.

When he got his laundry going, I asked him, "Where's your horse?"

He says, "Oh, she's in Wyoming now."

What do you say THEN???

[edit on 30-12-2004 by defrag99]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

What do you say THEN???

That's when you follow up by shouting
"The stars at night...are big and bright!!!"

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Welcome defrag99 nice to see a new face around from Texas!

I have a real good friend who live's there, coming out there in 2005 as well.............................may never come back here?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The real surprising thing for me--and this is hard to say--

Nobody here is really aware of the "outside world."

Nobody here is telling me what their Army kid in Iraq told them about the war. I engaged the Librarian in a conversation about globalization, and he just shrugged.

Nobody here is complaining about panhandlers or kids-on-drugs.

Nobody here complains about schools or textbooks or indifference; they simply accept everything at face value. Stock market? The dollar? Social Security? Designer diseases? Whatever.

Hey, that's scary to me. I grew up around Berkeley in the 60s. Wow.

Here, the Episcopal Church is more worried about same-sex marriages than they are about chemical/nuclear war.

I don't get it. I can't be that oblivious--even if by good manners it means I must remain silent about most pressing issues.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If you've got something to say defrag..............just say, dont ever hold-back

Sometime's it's too late and things could've been different if you had, sorry got side-tracked then

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
"It's better to be silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt"--

. . . appears to be a wise policy here.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Greetings... Ive lived in Texas most of my life. Would like to see the outside one day

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hey defrag,

I was born and raised in Houston, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area you moved to (in theory). Though Houston is more metropolitan and a bit more "enlightened" than other parts of Texas. It's the 4th largest city in the country after all. We have the rodeo here every year but the whole riding horses through the streets thing is as alien to me as it is to you. Oh there's plenty of faux-cowboys but they're just posers who wear cowboy hats and drive pickup trucks. They'd probably run at the site of a real cow.

I am familiar with the experience of living in an ignorant small town however. It wasn't Texas but it was Arkansas. If anything that's worse... I guess you had a good reason to move to where you are, but it's definately not a good place for someone with an "intellectual inclination" to be.

I'm going to school in Upstate New York now and I'm really glad I got out of the South. Like I said, Houston is ok because of the size and the large population of northerners, but you can go someplaces and it's like stepping into a time machine. You just don't get that in the blue...I mean northern states.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Honestly, I believe you. This is some kind of "other" place. People are "naace," but distant.

The town is decent, no monkey business; rodeo and hunting season in the fall, is "it."

But I work as a tailor; and there is plenty of work because nobody wants to do tailoring. I learned how, growing up in a wholesale dry cleaning operation that I helped my father run many years ago as a young teenager.

So, I'm going to be okay here. I have work. The worse the economy gets, the busier I'll be--Coyboy culture or no cowboy culture.

Yeeehah!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join