It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beaten Alabama cop says he was afraid to use force

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: greydaze
a reply to: Bloodydagger
Whatever..If it had been 2 Pigs on a armed civilian,the civilian would have been beaten to a bloody pulp,or killed.

And charged with resisting arrest, even though all he was doing was trying to protect his head from there another kick to the face.

I'm glad these savages are getting what they deserve.

They have been dishing it out for decades.

Is there any indication that this particular cop had "dished it out" or is it just a matter of any cop will do?

That'll end well.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Your right. All officers who are afraid to do their job cause of fear of prosecution should be art teachers. Much safer. I doubt very seriously that dead officers get the exposure they deserve.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger
Are we about to live in a world where a lot of cops are afraid to do their job? Also, i'd pay close attention to the job overall for the next year or so. I bet we are about to see an exodus where lots of cops quit over what is going on. A cop that is afraid to lay his/her hands on someone in any manner is here.

Since when did their job become killing people. If there wasn't media scrutiny he would have shot them dead and be done with it?

Hate to sound heartless here but in this case 1 person walked away battered but everyone lived.

I don't think police should get beaten up randomly but at the same time I don't think people should be killed randomly too. Way too many 'justified' shootings.

I don't know the circumstances of how he ended up outnumbered, but part of life is fighting with your mind as much as your brawn. Police move around in packs everywhere else, Im surprised one being out numbered even happens to be honest.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

The analogy of other professions not putting up with bad actors in their ranks is apt. Can you imagine if it was common practice for Doctors to cover up gross malpractice (or, say, sexual misconduct)...

This is exactly why the Catholic Church started getting such a bad persona in the media and perception by the general public. It was well deserved. For decades instead of dealing with molesters in their ranks the 'left it up to god' and in some cases even moved them to new cities so they could effectively continue their crimes and get away with it.

Police want to ask for public support? Start acting like you deserve it. Get rid of the blue shield, the wall of silence, the whatever you want to call it and stop allowing criminals within your ranks. You are always as weak as the weakest link. If you don't put a stop to it you are no better than the worst people who wear your badge.

Its no different for anyone else.

Or should we be putting Bernie Maddof in charge of the Federal Reserve?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

Shooting two people who are assaulting you isn't "random."

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

The criminals controlled this situation, in the end the cop lived, by the cops own admission had he been allowed to have the control he wanted the criminals would be dead.

So far the criminal element used as a "see cops need to be able to use lethal force" example are doing exactly the opposite by demonstrating more mercy than the cop would have used had he the "choice."

All parties are alive, and all criminals facing the appropriate prosecution. While the cop got hurt, which is sad, the outcome here is overall far better than those times the cops would have just shot the criminals.

Once again, like the 29 lb dog incident, the threat of even minor harm to the cop is an instant death sentence because somewhere along the lines cops turned into psychopathic pussies.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I thought the thread was about a cop that got beaten and not a dog? It's apples and oranges. The cop would have been 100% justified in shooting these two. Don't try and point to "the cop got lucky" as somehow justifying the lack of need to shoot somebody. The point is the cop isn't obligated, nor should he be, to take an ass kicking and hope he "gets lucky."

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Everybody lived, this is a terrible example. Everyone lived and everyone is trying to argue it would be better if the cop shot the men.

Yeah, ok the cop got lucky.

No cop was getting beaten all those times they shot fleeing suspects in the back, or gang pummeled one person with 8+ cops, freaked out and shot some person instinctively flailing in self defense while tasered.

Point being this "example" is a massive failure, as unlike every anti-cop abuse of power example, no one died here.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I don't even know what point you're trying to make. Great, nobody died. How that pertains to it would have been a justifiable shoot if the cop had shot them, I don't know.

If you want to make a rant about how this cop got lucky and other people haven't, knock yourself out.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

If two guys attack me with fists and I shoot them with a gun, what happens to me as a citizen, just curious.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I have no idea where you live, nor what the laws are wherever it is you call home. Nor the circumstances which caused the altercation.

Bait: not taken.

Good try though.

edit on 15-8-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: kellyjay

originally posted by: Bloodydagger

Department said the police are under intense scrutiny so any use of force can be viewed as unjust

“A lot of officers are being too cautious because of what's going on in the media," the officer said to the news site. "I hesitated because I didn't want to be in the media like I am right now."

Source

I seen this coming a mile away. I think a lot here did too. In the age of social media and where everything is recorded, I can see certain cops getting gun shy when it comes to using any type of force when trying to subdue someone and adding further risk to their own lives due to it. Of course, there are exceptions and some cops will continue to use force, however, I'm quite certain that there are plenty of good cops out there right now questioning themselves if they are even in the right profession anymore and how they are having to walk on eggshells due to the bad apple cops giving the entire Police Force nation wide a bad thuggery name.

I'm not pro-cop or against cops, but I just find this interesting and I bet we see more cases like this one come up in the future.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Is what is going on making their jobs harder/impossible since they are being scrutinized under a microscope?

I think its a good thing in the sense that cops might think twice about shooting unarmed civilians if they know they will be under the spotlight, and will instead use less lethal force if the situation allows it.

Although i do feel sorry for the good cops, who are now in a position like this man, where they feel afraid to use force thus end up having their own lives endangered as a result. A lot of the public forget or don't realise that these cops put their lives on the line every day and that they have wives, and children that they want to go home to at night.

Ive said already that body cams need to be implemented in every state, not only as a deterent for bad cops that shoot first and ask questions later, but also for the good cops who are justified in their use of force, that people might construe as in the wrong, that way they have video evidence that clears them.

Think of it this way.

If your husband or significant other was taking a trip to Amsterdam while stopping off in Speyside, would having him agree to wearing a camera make you trust him to be moderate?

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

If two guys attack me with fists and I shoot them with a gun, what happens to me as a citizen, just curious.

In Texas, if you are a CCW...probably not much.

In Texas, if you are on your property? You will be hailed a hero.

In Texas, if you are on the victims property? You will be arrested and locked away.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

You live and they, most likely, die.

As long as you feel that your life is threatened, you may defend yourself with deadly force.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Are we about to live in a world where a lot of cops are afraid to do their job?

We've been living in a unjust world for a long time. Proceeds of Crime legislation worldwide is used enrich the states coffers on mere suspicion. Maybe if the cops spoke up about arresting people where a "suspects" assets are frozen and they cannot defend themselves they would be seen in a better light.

They've been propagating a corrupt model for so long they have few friends with the general law abiding thinking public.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

If they see a broken taillight, or something minor, they could stop the person, tell them about it, and be on their way without going into all the "show us your papers" and other deep-inquisition tactics.

Thats what has led to this sad state of affairs, well said

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Not that it matters, and I wasn't going to post anything, but you make me sick.

Weren't you in the military?

How many babies did you kill? Innocent women?

You are just as savage; invading countries, destabilizing them, and slaughtering innocents all in the name of the petrodollar.

Perhaps you should look in the mirror the next time you call someone a savage and say they deserve to get beat.

God damned hypocrite.

edit on 15-8-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
/hypothetically:

I wonder if this had happened, and later we found out it was one of those not so good LEO's who were under investigation.
I wonder what the comments would look like....
would the attitudes here change if this cop was known to 'dish out his own brand of punishment' to civilians?
I'm certain of at least 3 here who's comments would jump the fence in a bat of an eye.
*/hypothetically

This is just the inevitable. you can only push people so far.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
If he was "scared" to use force then he might want to revisit his agency's use of force policy.

Fairly certain that "getting your ass handed to you" justifies use of force in response to it.

But I may be mistaken.

its safe to say then if I'm getting my ass handed to me by cops for crimes I didn't commit , I can use force . I wonder what the repercussions are if any...

I don't think he was scared to use force, he just didn't have the opportune moment; as in, his victims weren't facing away from him, or seated in car and him standing at their door. he didn't use force, because he didn't have a chance to. that's all, imo
edit on 16-8-2015 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4 >>

join