It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think you know how to weld? Think again...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

how about thermite welding,

That's a lot of fun, especially if you're welding other people's # together in new and broken ways for God and country.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Only different.

I can't weld worth a damn, though one day I fully intend to learn, if only to say I can.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
There's some guys out there with welds that look just as nice doing things like stainless headers and turbo manifolds for cars/motorcycles. The tight bends are a work of art on their own let alone a beautifully clean TIG weld.

Now I'm not sure if they're as good as people doing things for high pressure manufacturing or aerospace parts but they sure look good.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: homeskillet
There's some guys out there with welds that look just as nice doing things like stainless headers and turbo manifolds for cars/motorcycles. The tight bends are a work of art on their own let alone a beautifully clean TIG weld.

Now I'm not sure if they're as good as people doing things for high pressure manufacturing or aerospace parts but they sure look good.

Facility I work manufactures tank cars for rail transport.
All the pressure vessel welding is done with sub arc welding its very rare that is is done by hand now days.
There was a massive wreck in Quebec, Canada that was a game changer, and most states and all of canada enforced a ban of any tank car built before a certain time frame.
Also most aerospace is automated now, TIG welders in the future will be either doing repairs, or running a CNC style machine in the future, only production welders like myself will be the grunt work soon. It's sad.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I bet a lot of you have never heard of "cold welding"!

Two metals in a vacuum with no oxidization layer, when touched together, become one.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
That is amazing and way above my skill level.. I can run a decent bead but nothing as intricate as that..

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a 3/16 6013 rod will do it pretty easily.....but a ring weld is tough to angle all the way around....have a buddy spin it...yep

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join