It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oxycontin Approved by FDA For use in Children as Young as 11

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Crap. About 9 years too late.

Many a longer night's "sleep" could have been had if I could have tanked the kids up before bed.

"Honey, I oxy'd the kids, let's break out the handcuffs!"

They get used to the "bottle o' Nyquil" too quick.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Not gonna lie, didn't read the article yet, but this seems to be sensationalism at work. How many will truly be given this as a kid? Probably not many. It has uses for schizophrenia, autism, and getting people off opiates. Opiates don't directly work on oxytocin, they were on the gaba receptor. It's different. Not sure people would go from a drug like this to slamming heroine.

Oxycontin has no therapeutic uses for autism or mental disorders.

More than adults as there is only 1 other opiate used for children, the fentanyl patch.

So many have gone from oxycontin to heroin as other poster states and that information is readily available. Lack of reading seems to be a problem here.

cnn

fox news

drugabuse.gov
edit on 14-8-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: RobinB022

Yep, I see my error. I'll change my post. Out of it today.

Both opiates and stimulants seem to do little for me as far as being enjoyable. Dunno if that means my brain is working well or not so much. I think the former?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I have had some serious health issues, major surgeries, etc. I have taken all kinds of pain killers including oxy. I am a bit of a tough guy, if I can say that myself. I would rather test my limits a few times now and then instead of just medicating myself. Every once in a while I would take myself off my pain meds to see how I would do. When the pain got unbearable I would go back on the meds. I have seen, up close and personal, the difference between various strengths of hydrocodone, tramadol, and oxycontin. Having said that: there is no way in hell I would ever give any of those meds to a child unless it was under direct supervision of medical professionals and absolutely necessary.

We really are shooting straight to hell as a country and it seems like we cant get there fast enough.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: glen200376
a reply to: reldra

This is just crazy. If a child gets addicted to a drug like that at 11 then opiates will always be a problem for them. They will likely never loose the habit.I know of a person who got addicted to heroin aged 12 and he is still addicted to that and methadone 15 years on with no sign of stopping.
I totally agree with the increasing their customer base comment,sick .

That's the point. This is both about securing a revenue stream and stifling internal opposition.

The West did the exact same thing to China after the Opium Wars. Before those wars, China's emperor had forbidden opiates. But after the wars, the West (particularly the British Empire) forced China to accept their opium products, as well as many other horrible concessions (some of which are notoriously referred to as the "Unequal Treaties"). Anyway, up to 1/3 of China's population became addicted to opiates & this absolutely ravaged China.

This is the same thing that's happening in America with the prescription opiates. America consumes roughly 80% of all of the world's opiates, legal & illegal. I read somewhere that something like 10% of America's population has used or uses opiates (prescription & illegal). I don't know if that's true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
There is a lot to be learned from this resource . An interesting, fairly in depth look at oxycontin and the fallout of the lives' ruined by addiction to it.

I live in "Pillville" U.S.A.....home of the starting point of what has now become an epidemic.
I've seen SO many lives ruined by this drug. I may write more later, for now I just wanted to add the book above....for those interested in actually learning something other than pharma approved stuff that contains all those overtones of; "you are railing against oxycontin? How dare you! Do you hate people with chronic pain and just wish for their suffering? Do you hate people with painful cancer?" - says the voice of the talking points big pharma wants us to stay with.

....of course I (nor others) wish people to suffer, and I (and others) understand chronic pain and the uses and need for the existence of such drugs....but that is not the discussion we need to be having because it doesn't dig into the MANY other aspects of the existence and proliferation of this drug.

edit on 14-8-2015 by Jakal26 because: sitting here watching this thread and wishing like hell we could discuss "personal experiences" here, especially when in such a negative light (given that I get that whole "no drug discussion" thing). Absolutely no desire to promote this drug, actually very much the opposite.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

I'm sorry for your loss, I hope I never have to share it. But one very close person to me has already been suicidal over his addiction... he feels hopeless, trapped and ashamed. I'm terrified.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

There have been deaths associated with prescribing Fentanyl patches to kids(time-release mechanism in patch failed, releasing full dose immediately), and imagine similar with Oxy.

Fentanyl and OxyContin work in totally different manner/s. Neither of these medications can be used in people who are not opiate tolerant. And this is also another reason why people OD on these medications.
--------------------------------------------------------------

A Dr. would never prescribe an OxyContin, or Fent. without the patient having already been taking an opiate and being tolerant to opiates. Whether that being a child or an adult.

Some people commenting on the subject have no idea what they are saying. I'm not trying t be rude.. it's just that this is the problem with the stigma surrounding these medications.

I read one poster saying that seeing people who take these meds are out of it (not in those words). Well, let me assure you (not you Boscowashisnamo).. I'm not out of it at all, and I've taken both my LA (long acting) OxyContin and my break thru medications within the last several hours. If you saw me you wouldn't know it, but if you saw me w/o my meds that would be another story. My pain is real and these medications give me no high or bad side effects (no APAP), unlike some of my other medications, such as steroids and those which cause kidney issues, etc.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Hello Kitty Heroin

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Yep, I see my error. I'll change my post. Out of it today.

Both opiates and stimulants seem to do little for me as far as being enjoyable. Dunno if that means my brain is working well or not so much. I think the former?

Not everyone "suffers" from all of the side effects. It's likely your receptors are working just fine.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Approved for 11 year olds... someone needs to #ing go to prison for that.

What those that produced and push opiates need to go to prison for is the fact that when this drug initially came along....they f'n KNEW that using the "mechanical release" coating on the pills would render the "controlled release" mechanism meaningless (they claimed oxy would not be interesting to those that are addictive prone or to addicts of other opiates...they lied) because junkies QUICKLY found out all you had to do was spit on the pill and wipe the f'n coating off and BAMM! Lab...grade....heroin.....

I have literally watched this drug kill hundreds (and I do not exaggerate that fact)....Mainly, their deaths were caused by the mixture of oxycontin and various benzodiazepines, mainly xanax......or benzos and methadone (while taking methadone attempting to get off the oxys)

.....magically, after Purdue pharma was sued my area found itself with methadone clinics....and a whole other set of problems that came along with that....and deaths.....and.....

.....goddammit, still wishing I could explain the depths of my experiences with this drug and the people it has affected around me.....
....not just the people....the community as a whole, has changed drastically, and I have witnessed that.....
Let's just say that in my high school years, oxycontin was considered (to those in my school and the schools of the surrounding areas) to be "candy"......and they were everywhere...everyday.....any time. "Hillbilly heroin" is what some called/call it.....

....after some "tightening of the reins", it became far more expensive [in this area] than heroin. FAR MORE.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Well, I can't grow Oxycontin on my own, so in this country, yea, it makes sense

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26
There is a lot to be learned from this resource . An interesting, fairly in depth look at oxycontin and the fallout of the lives' ruined by addiction to it.

I live in "Pillville" U.S.A.....home of the starting point of what has now become an epidemic.
I've seen SO many lives ruined by this drug. I may write more later, for now I just wanted to add the book above....for those interested in actually learning something other than pharma approved stuff that contains all those overtones of; "you are railing against oxycontin? How dare you! Do you hate people with chronic pain and just wish for their suffering? Do you hate people with painful cancer?" - says the voice of the talking points big pharma wants us to stay with.

....of course I (nor others) wish people to suffer, and I (and others) understand chronic pain and the uses and need for the existence of such drugs....but that is not the discussion we need to be having because it doesn't dig into the MANY other aspects of the existence and proliferation of this drug.

Well, the topic we are discussing is; Oxycontin Approved by FDA For use in Children as Young as 11. The reason this drug has been approved for children is because of chronic pain, not abusers or addicts trying to get high and finding themselves in trouble through addiction, or worse; dead. That would be a whole 'nother thread.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I read one poster saying that seeing people who take these meds are out of it (not in those words). Well, let me assure you (not you Boscowashisnamo).. I'm not out of it at all, and I've taken both my LA (long acting) OxyContin and my break thru medications within the last several hours. If you saw me you wouldn't know it, but if you saw me w/o my meds that would be another story.

But you are taking it, as is....with the "chemical release mechanism" in place (used to be "mechanical release" but that is easier to bypass)...

Those of of who "don't know what we are talking about" in terms of describing essential zombies of these meds, aren't discussing people with true chronic pain.....I get that, and yes, this drug (and some others) are especially good at pain management for those with chronic pain/terminal illness pain/some other uses....
...that's not what we're talking about...

When it comes to what this drug does to those who misuse and abuse it is another issue, all it's own.
Purdue pharma is responsible for the deaths of MANY people, many of which I will agree are "by proxy".......and they are seeking to EXPAND (not seeking to anymore, obviously), not reduce, the proliferation of this drug....

...If they were only seeking to help those with actual chronic pain, they wouldn't be seeking to expand their market base.

....of course, NOW....it isn't about this drug in particular. Roxicet is "the thing" now...and it has no "time release" coating. (Yay for the junkies :mnky

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

The reason this drug has been approved for children is because of chronic pain, not abusers or addicts trying to get high and finding themselves in trouble through addiction, or worse; dead. That would be a whole 'nother thread.

Not really, but I could agree, in part that it might be for another thread.
I think they are tied together though.....

If you think Purude is just trying to expand their market because of "chronic pain", I don't know what to tell you then.
They sought to SELL this drug...and KNEW of it addictive potential, and KNEW that people would misuse it, and then KNOWINGLY and MISLEADINGLY marketed it to doctors for uses other than "chronic pain" and they KNEW they were misleading and straight up LYING about the potential of this drug to become one of the most abused pain killers out there.

I think this needs to be addressed in any thread discussing any move by Purdue to expand their marketing of this drug. It needs to be addressed that they have mislead and mis-marketed this stuff before, both factually and more circumstantially (like, how did oxy 120 mg end up on the streets before they were in the pharmacies...now THAT is for another thread).......

What if they mislead parents and doctors about the potential dangers of this drug?
What if they attempt to market it to the aforementioned, for things other than "chronic pain"....? They now have the green light.
.....your kid gets a tooth pulled? Yeap, he needs an oxy for that pain

^^Where I live, it's already been done, and was being done (until the "reins were tightened" a bit, aka....they had jail cells to fill, as the boom in new users equals a boom in prisoners, obviously)....

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Chronic and/or severe pain for a child is worse than we as adults deal with. They have no idea of stoicism [ bite the bullet ] and are only wanting the pain to go away. I'm leery of starting a child on any strong opioid, but if the need is great, there's no reason for them to suffer if the medicine is available to help them. It sounds like they won't just automatically give it to them, they have to see if they can handle it first.

Hertz said the FDA was putting strict limits on the use of OxyContin in children. Unlike adults, children must already have shown that they can handle the drug by tolerating a minimum dose equal to 20 milligrams of oxycodone for five consecutive days, she said.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Chronic and/or severe pain for a child is worse than we as adults deal with. They have no idea of stoicism [ bite the bullet ] and are only wanting the pain to go away.

I agree...

but if the need is great, there's no reason for them to suffer if the medicine is available to help them.

I agree....

Hertz said the FDA was putting strict limits on the use of OxyContin in children.

I apologize if I am leery of what the FDA says......

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I have M.S. and use "________" to relieve my pain. It is non-addictive and proven safe... HOWEVER I cannot mention it's name... why? T.O.S. and a government that panders to corporate interests.

My wife is an opiate addict. (Serious denial as well... she "double doses", then acts surprised when she runs out early...). My siblings are all Oxy addicts; in OH and WV any malady can be cured by Oxy... so say the doctors.

(Incidentally, ask the Chinese what effects opiates can have on a population... they went to war with Great Britain because of it...)

I would rather smoke 250 lbs of banana peels (which is how much you would actually HAVE to smoke to get the effects that the urban legends say...), than EVER take another opiate drug.

(NOTE: anyone that can smoke 250 lbs of banana peels in one sitting... U2U me... seriously...)

I am starting to get the feeling that our medical community has finally "jumped the shark"...

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26
a reply to: DAVID64

Chronic and/or severe pain for a child is worse than we as adults deal with. They have no idea of stoicism [ bite the bullet ] and are only wanting the pain to go away.

Hertz said the FDA was putting strict limits on the use of OxyContin in children.

I apologize if I am leery of what the FDA says......

Especially since they're not the ones writing the prescriptions & profiting from this.
edit on 14-8-2015 by enlightenedservant because: shortened stuff because of "basketball reasons"

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Jakal26

I've read all of the comments in the thread and I totally understand and agree with much of it, but this thread isn't about the misuse of OxyContin, it's about the use of the medication being permitted (by FDA) in children as young as eleven for chronic pain.

Some kids have chronic pain and they would need strong medication (over time), because the body becomes tolerant to pain medications.

I don't like Perdue for other reasons, but I can't blame them for the deaths of people who took/take these medications in a manner they weren't prescribed for. How can big Pharma be responsible for people who aren't taking their medications as prescribed.

Why aren't addicts and abusers responsible, after all, it was their choice to take the medication in the first place. I've lost two brothers to drug abuse and overdose. I don't blame the drug/medication.

It sounds cold, but that's the way it is. People really have to learn personal responsibility and self discipline (at all times), but it's very important when taking medication. Taking these pills any other way than prescribed and they are no longer medication, but just drugs.

Addicts and abusers make life more stressful for those of us who rely on pain medications because we truly have pain. It's pathetic that I can't be open with some people about my life because of the stigma and ignorance surrounding the medication I take. And the media is no help at all!

Yes, I understand that a lot of people take these drugs for the wrong reasons.. but that doesn't make the medication wrong or bad, it makes those people wrong.

Please don't take offense to this, as I mean none.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join