It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Public Schools Announces Hundreds Of Teacher Layoffs, Pending And Pension Cuts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Chicago recently released its Public School budget and it don't look good.

Pension cuts and layoffs are forefront.

Apparently the government there just can't get it right when comes to spreading out the money evenly.

When will these government failures figure out how to end the problems?

How can the most educated people running things fail so bad and fail so often?

Chicago Public Schools Announces Hundreds Of Teacher Layoffs, Pending And Pension Cuts

Chicago Public Schools (CPS) released its 2015-2016 budget Monday, including $200 million in spending cuts and 479 additional teacher layoffs. In June, the district announced 1,400 layoffs.

Despite the cuts and layoffs, the district still has a $480 million operating budget gap. Republican governor of Illinois Bruce Rauner has offered to advance $500 million to help fill the gap, dependent on additional CPS “reforms”, including an end to district contributions to teacher pensions. But these funds are by no means guaranteed. Based on the current operating deficit, it is likely additional cuts will be announced. A $676 million pension payment is due this school year.

In line with Rauner’s request, CPS announced the end of pension “pick up” August 4, telling teachers to shoulder their own pension contributions. This will create a significant cut to teacher take-home pay—an estimated 7 percent. The district had “picked up” 7 percent of teacher pension contributions, an agreement made in 1981, in exchange for lower pay raises in subsequent years.

Massive F-A-I-L-U-R-E

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I wont get giddy over the new criminals that will be spawned from this. I won't get giddy over people losing their retirements and livelihood.

Raise the taxes, massively. If businesses are already leaving, new ones will come. Or the nation needs to bail them out. A republican governor, of course.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Just waiting on that property tax bomb to hit... they need to drop pensions for teachers. Put them all on 401ks like the rest of us. Only firemen and police deserve pensions imho.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The solution is easy.

Give government 100% of our paychecks.

They can feed us, clothe us, shelter us, and take care of us to the point where we don't need to worry about money.

We can trust government.

Can't we?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
I wont get giddy over the new criminals that will be spawned from this. I won't get giddy over people losing their retirements and livelihood.

Raise the taxes, massively. If businesses are already leaving, new ones will come. Or the nation needs to bail them out. A republican governor, of course.

Illinois has been a high tax State long before a new Republican Governor this year.

High state income tax.

High sales tax.

Very high property tax in Chicago.

The failures were set in motion a long time ago.

Chicago has been Democrat controlled since the 1930s.

Something else must be wrong.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I love everything about this. Chicago has not had a Republican mayor since 1933. Democrats have seized power and have been in charge ever since. Everything that has happened is all on the Democratic party - ALL of it. There's no one else to blame.

Chicago is bluer than blue and broker than broke. I'm doing the "I-told-you-so" dance.

I'm sure people will yell at me for "not being part of the solution". Well, I can't save this ship. We need to let this one sink and build a new one - without Democratic influence.

Sing with me - you know the tune:

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you're here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

ICEBERG Dead Ahead!!!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I have a better idea. Let the people determine who is laid off, since it is our money.

Because the people will lay off the unnecessary bureaucrats and their office personal and make sure the teachers have work and the supplies they need to educate the students.

The unions should not be more powerful than the taxpayers, but unfortunately that is what they have become.

We don't need teachers unions. We simply need to vote on a minimum wage for our teachers and merit based wages. Eliminate the bureaucrats while promising competitive wages to our teachers.

The tax payer should be the union representatives. Not people who have the power to increase their wages each year while the system continues to degenerate.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Not easy in Chicago.

Every Precinct is a Democrat voting pocket.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It would be nice if Chicago would get rid of its Charter School Program. Charter School programs are quickly being outed as total scams. Tax payer funded private school failures. They haven't churned out better results (often worse) than public schools. FY 2015 for CPS had allocated 380 million to Charter Schools. Pure corporate give away... but of course it's the teachers fault for wanting security and a good salary. I mean they're only responsible for educating our kids... nothing major.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

They fail also.

Probably because much of the funding is government.

They are getting big cuts as well.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

They are getting big cuts as well.

Nope. I bet they get the same deal they got last year. Told their payments would be late and then as soon as the property tax collections come in it goes right to the Charter Schools.
edit on 8/14/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I feel for those losing jobs/ benefits. It's the tip of the iceberg. People need to stop being emotional and face the reality that no matter where you are there are limited resources. Be it money/food/medicine etc. No system can continue to grow across the board, resources eventually will be exhausted. End result will always be this. Those new programs or increased money/ benefits were great for voters, politicians years ago. Bill comes eventually. This applies to anything on any level. It's the reality no body talks about in immigration, or more social services, or whatever else. Limited resource , more wants/needs, someone has to lose in order for someone else to gain. Considering the interest payments on the growing debt will eat into more budget money, tougher decisions will becoming to the federal level too

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Just so giddy about people getting screwed over huh?

What is the alternative?

All private schools?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Wait until the police, fire department, public transit and city employees pensions get cut. The teachers are just the tip of the iceberg. You can't promise to many things too to many people for to long without something breaking.
But don't worry, the mayor will fix the problem....

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

What is the alternative?

All private schools?

The solution is non-corrupt government, and effective government.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
It would be nice if Chicago would get rid of its Charter School Program. Charter School programs are quickly being outed as total scams. Tax payer funded private school failures. They haven't churned out better results (often worse) than public schools. FY 2015 for CPS had allocated 380 million to Charter Schools. Pure corporate give away... but of course it's the teachers fault for wanting security and a good salary. I mean they're only responsible for educating our kids... nothing major.

I would assume if the public schools weren't so bad the charter school fad would not take off. The demand stemmed from non performance in public schools. Politicians of course will meet a demand for votes. As always things go crooked.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

What is the alternative?

All private schools?

Considering how well Catholic schools do on a fraction of the resources, I'd say private schools should be an option to be explored.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

What is the alternative?

All private schools?

The solution is non-corrupt government, and effective government.

Yeah. I heard Disney has a lock on that:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

There are two classes of people left now in Chicago - the very rich and the very poor. Chicago, thanks to this just raise taxes mentality, is going to way of Detroit.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

If they were doing a good job to begin with ... no one would be desperate to get their kids into charter schools. The public ones would be enough.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join