It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who change the profile text colour so you can't read their names.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yep, it annoys me that I have to click and highlight their mini-profile just to see the name of the person posting.
What, do I have to remember your avatar now instead of your name? Why?

I've noticed a massive rise in this happening lately so I've decided to do it myself.
I can no longer be annoyed with other folk who do it now I am a partner in crime, so how about we all go for it ATS, let's hide our names, after all it is only a click and highlight to see them if we want to!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

It's all part of the psy-ops.

Anonymity is a good deflection tool.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

It's all part of the psy-ops.

Anonymity is a good deflection tool.

I am with the dark side now...never speak of the psy-ops...mwuhaha

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Its against the rules apparantly

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Against the T&C's I believe. Post ban time!!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I just hit the reply to their post option - that shows their name and foils their lame attempts to make me look at their profile.

And then, I DON'T EVEN REPLY to their post

Subtle revenge or what?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

Cheers for the link, this is the relevant mod post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

...I shall change mine back now and click alert every time I see it if it is against T's & C's, it really really annoys me.
Oh I am going to enjoy this.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It's against the rules to do so. I learned that hard way.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: berenike

Haha!

It annoys me because it is such an ego thing in my mind. We already made a choice for our usernames, but now some folk wish to be represented solely by whatever image they feel is particularly important to them.

Lame, and annoying, and I'm really glad it is against T's & C's......lame and annoying.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
originally posted by: EnigmaAgent

nvm…
edit on 14-8-2015 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

It's against the rules to do so. I learned that hard way.
May I ask why you wanted to do it in the first place?
No attack or anything, just curious about why you preferred to present as an image while hiding your username?
I am genuinely interested

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
originally posted by: EnigmaAgent

nvm…
Ah I was interested in the changing avatar thing as well before your edit, it's kinda relevant so please do share your thoughts. The thread is about how we present ourselves as an online presence.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I wanted it to match the color of my avatar, but I did too good of a job doing it & was asked to change it. You'll see lots of folks doing this because who wants some funky mismatched color scheme going on with your awesome avatar?

But some people do it just to hide their info. When I want to read it I just highlight it with the mouse.
edit on 14-8-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I know of at least one user who changed the colour so that it did not show against the default background.
He had an avatar, but the avatar disappeared when he was banned. As a result, there is a black and nameless profile on all his posts. He has become completely anonymous, except for those of us who knew his contributions already.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I wanted it to match the color of my avatar, but I did too good of a job doing it & was asked to change it. You'll see lots of folks doing this because who wants some funky mismatched color scheme going on with your awesome avatar?
You have the choice of every colour in the text options so choosing one which is too difficult to read was a choice don't you think?
I like how you've done your current one by the way, I can see your name clearly and the rest is blended nicely into the image.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I wonder why it would matter who a poster assumes they are responding to (I think everyone uses an alias or there are some strange named people here)? Is it because it is more important who is saying something more than what is being said?

BTW, I had no idea it was against the T&C however, I am not surprised.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname
I wonder why it would matter who a poster assumes they are responding to (I think everyone uses an alias or there are some strange named people here)? Is it because it is more important who is saying something more than what is being said?
Well avatars can and are changed often by people. We cannot change our usernames.
Any interaction I have with anybody anywhere is influenced by any previous knowledge of their character and their views. If I remember their name then I remember previous posts linked to the name.

That is why I am annoyed by people who hide their name and choose to present themselves as an image, which can be changed again at a whim.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
What inteligence or better lack of it makes some-one want to hide a name they made up? It's the same for the avatar. The member chooses an avatar (whether by likes or design) that has no relation to their identity, so no one can even guess at their true likeness. Why hide or keep changing it?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Of course it was a choice, it matched my avatar. You can clearly see my name because I'm now aware of the rules.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The trick is to make your profile picture so distracting, that they don't even look at your username.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join