It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about AGM batteries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Ok, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question but I figured it'd get some exposure or maybe re-routed to a better place. My apologies if this isn't right.

So I recently bought a 35AH AGM deep cycle battery to help me out when I'm away from a good power source. My charger/maintainer (Extreme Max Battery Buddy Pro) has two different settings for a battery of this general size (~12-120AH), both charge at 3.8A. According to the charger manual one is the "regular" setting for flooded batteries and charges at 14.4v, and the other is the "cold" setting which it recommends for AGM batteries or low temperature charging of flooded batteries and charges at 14.7v. Well... On various websites people are saying to charge AGM batteries at 14.4v and flooded batteries at 14.7, others say anywhere between the two is okay for AGM.

Which is it? I don't want to undercharge my battery, and overcharging AGM batteries is apparently a very bad thing. Little help please? I am confident someone here knows. Thanks for your time.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: duke396
Ok, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question but I figured it'd get some exposure or maybe re-routed to a better place. My apologies if this isn't right.

So I recently bought a 35AH AGM deep cycle battery to help me out when I'm away from a good power source. My charger/maintainer (Extreme Max Battery Buddy Pro) has two different settings for a battery of this general size (~12-120AH), both charge at 3.8A. According to the charger manual one is the "regular" setting for flooded batteries and charges at 14.4v, and the other is the "cold" setting which it recommends for AGM batteries or low temperature charging of flooded batteries and charges at 14.7v. Well... On various websites people are saying to charge AGM batteries at 14.4v and flooded batteries at 14.7, others say anywhere between the two is okay for AGM.

Which is it? I don't want to undercharge my battery, and overcharging AGM batteries is apparently a very bad thing. Little help please? I am confident someone here knows. Thanks for your time.

Not familiar with that charger but I have both battery types on my bass boat. Most chargers will self adjust if they start to get feedback on the charge. You should be safe either way.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
Not familiar with that charger but I have both battery types on my bass boat. Most chargers will self adjust if they start to get feedback on the charge. You should be safe either way.

I see, that's kind of what I expected / hoped for. If it's all the same to the battery I think I'll stick to the lower voltage for now. Thanks for the quick response.

join