It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chinese Espionage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Canada's security agency, CSIS, reported to Parliament that the Chinese are making a concerted effort to gather technology from Canadian sources, including high tech companies, research labs and industrial concerns. They appear to use visiting students, scientists, and business people to obtain information. The emphasis appears to be on technology useful in the military field.

www.canada.com
NATIONAL POST
Wednesday, December 29, 2004

OTTAWA - China's intelligence services have systematically targeted Canada's science and technology sectors and use Chinese students and visiting scientists to steal technology for military use and to enhance the country's global economic competitiveness, a senior intelligence source says.

In its annual report to Parliament, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service warns foreign spies are seeking to acquire ''Canada's scientific and technological developments, critical economic and information infrastructure, military and other classified information, putting at risk Canada's national security.''

The official said CSIS was mainly referring to China in its 2003-04 report when the spy service discussed how ''certain foreign governments direct their departments, state-owned corporations and intelligence services to engage in economic espionage against Canada.''

China uses visiting students, scientists, business people and delegations to obtain industrial secrets and high-technology that will benefit Chinese companies and its military-industrial complex, said the source, who asked not to be identified for national security reasons.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Industrial espionage has been a staple of communist regimes going back decades to the old Soviet Union. So, there is nothing really surprising about this, except that CSIS went out of their way to emphasize it this year.

We can assume that if this is happening in Canada, it is almost certainly going on throughout the major industrial nations, including the US, Europe and Japan, and it highlights the need to be cautious in dealing with Chinese entities and individuals. This is very difficult to do, given the numbers of individuals of Chinese background who have emigrated and are legitimately involved in the technology field.

I wish also to note my own concern with the head-long rush of Western technology businesses to establish manufacturing and even Research and Development facilities in China, especially given the utter lack of respect shown there for Intellectual Property rights such as patents and copyrights. I know that some companies have a practice of withholding some of their key technologies for this reason.

However, on the whole, I believe our carelessness about protecting our technology is at best giving China a free ride to compete with our home-grown industries, and at worst, allowing the potential, combined with their numbers, of an unparalled military juggernaut with unpredictable intentions. Combined with growing financial capability and growing dependence of the West on Chinese manufacture, we could be in serious trouble in 10-20 years time.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
This is somewhat shocking, yet as I read it I was none too suprised for some reason. With all the talk of the Russian-Chinese Joint Military Ops, I think this problem should be dealt with quickly. This should also be investigated thoroughly in the US.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
What?....this is not possible..... "our friends" in the Chinese government are spying for military technology?....

China is still and will continue to be a communist regime...they just learned to use capitalism to help their economy=military. BTW...Russia is not that far behind either.... They try to show the world they are our friends, and stab us in the back... I am talking about the Russian and Chinese governments, not their people, many of whom really want to get away from the communist regimes once and for all.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Just like the period after 9.11, most international students were regarded as hijacker just because one of 9.11 hijackers held legal f-1 visa. LOL

new topics

top topics

join