It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Strange During 2015 Perseid Meteor Shower

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I have been observing the meteor shower from Elgin, IL (a suburb of Chicago.) Each night I've noticed something odd in the sky.

What I've seen the past three nights (and twice this evening) was: A flash of light like a star suddenly appearing for a split second then blinking out. Each time this happened, I would glance over to where the flash was and within a second or two, it would flash once more in the same spot... but only once more. Two quick and seemingly stationary flashes just seconds apart, and nothing else.

These were definitely not streaks of light from typical meteors. Even with the considerable light-pollution in my area, I still saw plenty of good meteors streaking across the sky. Just this odd recurrence stuck with me. I saw it tonight around midnight... then once again just a few minutes before I decided to post this thread.

I imagine meteors can appear as a dot rather than a streak, of course... but with such precision, uncanny timing and consistency?

So I ask, is anyone else seeing this?

After a very quick Google search I have found a corroborating article from astronomyguru.com which almost perfectly matches what I saw.

Strange Light Phenomena During Perseid Meteor Shower
By James W. Ashley

(Scroll down for Phenomena 2: "Repeating Point Flash")
edit on AMq000000amThursday0000008520 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

not yet, but i think i'll go have a lookie now.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I watched last night for a bit until the clouds balls it up for me, but since you mentioned it I saw an odd flash, I thought it was flash of lightning in the distance but storms aren't due till today

Didn't think much of it till I saw this Thread

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

Yeah, I saw some ambient flashes too... like lightening in the distance, and like you: I didn't think much of that. Figured maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me or something.

But the flashes I mean were very focused, bright pins of light, just like a relatively bright star blinking on and off twice in a row.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Yes, we saw those flashes as well when we were out enjoying the show.
At first I was convinced that I was seeing a firefly flash in my peripheral vision. Then I realized that there weren't any fireflies to be seen anywhere!
Perhaps someone smarter than us in the these matters will come along and explain.
I suppose they could have been satellites but not like any I've seen before---and I've spent a lot of time watching the night skies.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

Yes, we saw those flashes as well when we were out enjoying the show.

Perhaps someone smarter than us in the these matters will come along and explain.

I suppose they could have been satellites but not like any I've seen before---and I've spent a lot of time watching the night skies.

On your first sentence there: Thanks for sharing. Was it just like I described with there only being two flashes?

Secondly: That's my hope as well. I'm glad someone else can attest to the lights, and I'm sure I know of at least one person on these forums who could likely bring some Phacts to the discussion...

Lastly: I've spent lots of time watching the skies too, and I've seen tons of satellites slowly carving their way through the sky, growing brighter and disappearing. That is something entirely different from what I've seen during this meteor shower, at least as far as I can tell
edit on AMq000000amThursday0000008620 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I saw that roughly 2 to 3 years ago during the Perseids. My first UFO lol. I saw very little this year due to cloud cover until tonight and i only saw one.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

No kidding? There really might be something here...

STRANGE LIGHT PHENOMENA DURING PERSEID METEOR SHOWERS

Phenomena #2: Repeating point flash.

This phenomena will be detailed in a series of notes taken by others and myself that have seen it.

I wrote the following just after the event on 08-12-85.

Fisk Knob. 08-12-85; 00:00 EDT. Observing Perseid meteors. Strange phenomenon observed near Draco/Ursa Major border: Resembles head-on point meteor, but repeats; each flash lasting about one second. Bob Cash announced the first two sightings and pointed out the area. I counted three of my own afterward, bringing the total to five. Flashes had no apparent pattern but the last two appeared to twinkle noticeably and I detected movement as well. Cash reported a similar observation during the 1983 Perseid shower.

The following was written 3 years later, a few hours after witnessing a second such event.

On the morning of August 12, 1988, between 01:00 and 02:00 hours, an unusual light was observed near the constellation Cepheus by Dawn Ludwig, Peter Chan and James Ashley from Fisk Knob in Kent County.

Conditions - Though we were not rained on, lightning from nearby storms effectively prevented us from observing well a meteor shower that had promised to be the best in several years. The new moon fell on the 12th, and the short-lived peak was to occur in the morning hours with the radiant high in the southeast, at which time we had anticipated a zenithal hourly rate near 70 or higher. Most of the meteors that were seen fell before midnight. The high water vapor content of the atmosphere together with the incessant lightning that occurred from after midnight until dawn limited exposure times for photographs and created very poor viewing in general. All totaled, we saw roughly 150 meteors between us that night, only one of which was captured on film.

Event - I happened to be gazing in the direction of Cepheus when I saw a brief but bright light suddenly appear and disappear in the same general direction (I was almost looking directly at it when it occurred). By coincidence, Ludwig was looking near the same part of the sky and also witnessed the event. The object seemed to pulse as it first brightened rapidly to maximum brilliance, then faded slightly but with equal rapidly, brightening rapidly once again to maximum or near maximum brilliance, and finally fading out completely with the same rapidity. The overall effect was thus one of watching an incandescent lamp turned on, then off, then on, then off, the sequence commencing very smoothly but all within about a second of time. Thus one might have described the event as a flash phenomenon. At the time, I noted the object's brightness at greatest brilliance to be greater than second magnitude, but as it was markedly brighter than Polaris, a more accurate estimation may have placed it nearer to zero magnitude. During the brief interval of visibility, the object seemed to advance slightly to the south.

During the next sixty seconds or so, the event was seen to occur an additional four times, bringing the total number of flashes to five. Ludwig and myself both witnessed each of these five, and Chan saw one of them. The time lapsing between each of the first four flashes seemed to me fairly regular - about 8 to 10 seconds. Between the fourth and the fifth flash, however, a greater interval of time elapsed - 15 to 20 seconds or longer. By carefully noting the position of the object relative to the nearby stars during each successive flash, I was able to calculate a steady southward progression at a rate of approximately five degrees per minute. Between each of the first four flashes I observed a nearly equal angular displacement of the object. This, along with the regular time intervals between these flashes suggests a constant velocity for the object. Consistently, a greater angular displacement than with the previous four flashes was observed between the fourth and fifth flash to coincide with the greater time interval between them.
This phenomenon or another like it had apparently been observed by Terry Hunefeld, Bruce Sidell and others that same night. Their entry in the Veen Observatory logbook reads as follows:

"August 11-12 Sidell and Hunefeld observe a gamma ray mystery flasher above (5 degrees south) of the arc of the Little Dipper. 5 flashes approx. zero magnitude, little movement over 3 minutes. Sidell saw the first 2, both saw the 3rd, Hunefeld the last 2."

Another incident occurred during open house week this past August at the J.C. Veen Observatory, and was witnessed by John Chapman, Dawn Ludwig, several others and myself. It was essentially identical in every respect except location to the flashes just described, and repeated some 7 or 8 times.

© James Ashley One of my exposures from August 12, 1988 reveals what appears to be a flash of some kind. The accompanying photo shows a bright spot near the trail of the bright star Vega in the 15-minute time exposure of Lyra and surrounding regions. Close scrutiny of the negative makes the possibility of a processing artifact unlikely.

Explanations for the flashes range from point meteors to fireflies to satellites. A point or head-on meteor might explain a single flash, but not one that repeats several times over a period of minutes. Fireflies have a distinctive yellow-green color to their photochemical emissions, and their movement, which I have photographed before in time exposure, is altogether inconsistent with that of the flashes observed. A man-made satellite is a more appeal-mg possibility. A very high altitude satellite, one with several reflective surfaces and which is rotating, and with a highly elliptical orbit, is a conceivable explanation. Such a satellite might be high enough in its orbit to be above the Earth's shadow at 2 o'clock in the morning. Depending on its size, it might then become visible only when the most reflective surfaces are turned to the proper Sun-satellite-Earth angle. My only question would be why the object does not stay visible longer than a few brief moments.

Once again, one must be willing to admit the possibility of new, rarely seen, and seldom studied natural phenomena to account for both these apparitions. Such phenomena would be difficult to study indeed, and the data would likely be in the form of typewritten reports by interested individuals such as those above. If anyone have heard of or seen anything similar to what has been described, or feel they have an alternate theory to explain what they are, I would be interested to hear your observations.

(I realize that is a very long quote, but it is only the relevant portion of the article to this thread.)

Very interesting indeed.

edit on AMq000000amThursday0000008520 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   
this is a widely visible, anticipated phenomenon, right?
surely we've got someone who filmed at least some of it...
very much hoping this is the case, there is something tickling at the back of my memory in vaguely sinister fashion regarding ambient flashes during meteor showers.
looking forward to, if not full visual confirmation, then at least some science-y understanding.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Yes I saw that last night. I kept thinking it was thin cloud cover obscuring it, even though it was clear. A bright star, there then gone, then back again. To the north east. I saw meteors streak. As well . Not looked tonight.

I'm in vancouver BC, if that helps to know

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Judy to add , the meteor shower was straight above me travelling north to south whereas the star pulse was east . It said look north east in my location. All I got was the star pulse looking that way. I thought at first it might be a plane. There was no plane though

ETA Last night I was looking around 11pm
edit on 13-8-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-8-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I'll go look now. I'm bored, can't sleep.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I am west of the Rockies so it definitely wasn't fireflies.

Interesting that it has been happening around the perseids for quite a while back.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

originally posted by: violet
I'll go look now. I'm bored, can't sleep.

Good idea, I think I'll join for a little while. I personally don't have a phone or a camera at the moment so I can't document anything except to use good old-fashioned journalism. Thanks for chiming in as well, it definitely sounds like we saw something similar.

edit on AMq000000amThursday0000008620 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm

Interesting that it has been happening around the perseids for quite a while back.

My thoughts exactly. I had read the article a good way through before I realized it was written in the 80s!

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I don't normaly post, but just chiming to say that I have seen this phenomena you describe. I have seen it twice over the last few months. Looks just like a normal star static in the night sky, then a flash of light and the star disappears, or more accurately it fades out.
This in the north of Scotland looking mostly to the south west. It hasn't coinsided with any meteor showers, as far as I'm aware. Probably something mundane no doubt.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I am going out for 5 minutes more before I head to bed. Eek! It's late. I'll take my camera with me, even though I have seen very little tonight.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Wow... this is wild !

Three times tonight I saw a bright flash of light coming from a south south east direction, but I couldn't catch what was causing those bright blue-ish flashes.

At first I thought maybe a thunder cloud was moving in. But after the third flash, I climbed up onto the railing of my back deck to see over my house and garage (house faces southeast and my back deck in behind faces northwest so I can't see the southeast sky from my back yard) to see if I could make out a thunder storm cloud or something moving in, but it was clear starry skies in all directions.

I came into the house about 3am CST because the meteor show had died down to a nil at that point. Jumped on to ATS to see if anyone had caught any good pics of the show....

And lo and behold you post this thread about the flashes.

Unfortunately, I couldn't catch what or exactly where the flashes for coming from, so I can't confirm if it was caused by what others are claiming to have seen.

But interesting nonetheless !

edit on 13-8-2015 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012 I thought I was losing my mind when I saw the two blips of light from the exact same spot a couple of different times tonight but just shrugged it off as me seeing stuff that wasn't there, but sure enough your post verified what I thought I was seeing. I'm only north of you a bit, just east of Madison. Great post star & flag.

edit on 13-8-2015 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: krossis
I don't normaly post, but just chiming to say that I have seen this phenomena you describe. I have seen it twice over the last few months. Looks just like a normal star static in the night sky, then a flash of light and the star disappears, or more accurately it fades out.
This in the north of Scotland looking mostly to the south west. It hasn't coinsided with any meteor showers, as far as I'm aware. Probably something mundane no doubt.

Well I certainly thank you for adding to this conversation. That's more or less exactly what I saw. Whether it's mundane or not is of course part of that discussion, but I would tend to agree with it being innocuous at least.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join