It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

American Paratroopers in Ukraine Have Putin Rattled

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:15 AM

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
In all seriousness I don't think Putin is worried about the US trying to take over Russia.
You couldn't do it - impossible in every way shape and form.

What a nonsense article...

The U.S. military is drawing on its own experiences to teach the Ukrainians how best to survive under heavy artillery barrages, tank and sniper attacks,

Really? When was the last time the US military was under such attack? Bastogne? Do they forget about the great Patriotic war that Ukraine fought?

the US is there to provoke Russia to do something stupid. The quicker they do something stupid that we provoke the quicker we can go to war. Spend money, make people rich, remove the population and blame the REDS!

Yeah and a certain document signed by Russia, Ukraine , the US and others has nothing to do with it. Gotta love the mindless incivism.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:15 AM
I love the western perspective that Russia has no reason for paranoia. I mean why would they right?

I don't know, it may have a little to do with things like the head of the CIA visiting the Ukraine during some of the most heated moments of this conflict. Or how the American military is present right on their boarder, even as I write this post.

"Well, we don't normally comment on the CIA director's travel, but given the extraordinary circumstances in this case, and the false claims being leveled by the Russians at the CIA, we can confirm that the director was in Kiev this weekend as part of a trip to Europe.

USA Today

There are more sources if one were inclined to look for them. It's not a secret what's going on there. It's a proxy war where both sides are culpable for the continuing crisis. Unfortunately, the probable biggest element that seems to be so easily overlooked is the fact that the center of this crises is only about 300 miles from Moscow. There is no reasonable way to justify this aggression towards the Russian sphere of influence. It would be considered a strategic disaster for the Russians to allow this kind of hostility to be injected so close to the Russian boarder.

What if there were a coup in Mexico and an anti American government was able to seize control? Now what if the head of the FSA started meeting with the newly formed government in Mexico and vowed material support? How would the American government react? How would you expect them to react? You could reasonably be assured they'd remove that hostile government one way or another. The idea of self determination be damned.

I mean god damn, even Henry Kissinger sees it.

The West must understand that, to Russia, Ukraine can never be just a foreign country. Russian history began in what was called Kievan-Rus. The Russian religion spread from there. Ukraine has been part of Russia for centuries, and their histories were intertwined before then. Some of the most important battles for Russian freedom, starting with the Battle of Poltava in 1709 , were fought on Ukrainian soil. The Black Sea Fleet — Russia’s means of projecting power in the Mediterranean — is based by long-term lease in Sevastopol, in Crimea. Even such famed dissidents as Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and Joseph Brodsky insisted that Ukraine was an integral part of Russian history and, indeed, of Russia.

How about a little more from this piece....

Russia and the West, and least of all the various factions in Ukraine, have not acted on this principle. Each has made the situation worse. Russia would not be able to impose a military solution without isolating itself at a time when many of its borders are already precarious. For the West, the demonization of Vladimir Putin is not a policy; it is an alibi for the absence of one.

Kissinger OP-ED

With these American troops serving as tripwire forces our leadership has set us up in a very precarious position. Don't kid yourself that an open conflict can't happen. If any of those troops get killed what then? How do you spin it to avoid open conflict? Maybe some of you are cheering for an outright conflict but I'm not. This isn't 1914 or 1939 any more. You could take the nuclear option off the table and we humans are still far more advanced and sophisticated when it comes to wholesale killing compared to those earlier times. And it's not just the west who's more advanced. The Russians and Chinese are as well. The human race as a whole is.

We're on the edge of disaster and some people seem to take no issue with it. In some cases even appear to be cheering for it in their own passive aggressive way. Simply amazing.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:13 AM

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:05 AM
We never learn do we?

The more you go into a country and interfere with their internal politics, the bigger the mess you leave behind when you eventually slink out.

There are blaring examples of this. It also doesn't win friends from other countries who wouldn't like your troops on their soil either or your open interference in their internal affairs.

Countries need to have certain fights to establish what is needed otherwise strife goes down generation after generation, things never get resolved because of the political stagnation this situation creates. The world has always turned on the stronger side whether right or wrong, but once that is established countries either need a strong top man or a strong government to maintain order. We also have a list of countries that have fallen apart once their leader has died or been deposed.

Isn't this more about the USA trying to ensure Russia won't develop closer trading and political relations within Europe - a bit of self protectionism for American investment etc; it won't distract Russian attention away from supporting Syria either etc. (I appreciate that where the USA goes my government follows also and the same applies to us).
edit on 13-8-2015 by Shiloh7 because: post seemed too anti American which is wasn't intended to be. Sorry

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:54 AM
Understanding why Russia is worried and involved in Ukraine is not hard. They share a border, there are russians in a large quantity, they have the pipes for russian resources to europe, they had their biggest base in the black sea.

What is USA doing there? Cmon, let's not act like it's for the benefit of Ukraine or peace in Europe. It's about destroying russian's economy to weaken Syria and Iran, increasing the demand of resources in europe to pressure for the Quatari pipe, put an unsustainable debt on another country and sell weapons in the whole eastern block. Nor to mention Royal Dutch Shell and the donbass fields.

Those who support this are either shills or totally blind.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:06 AM
a reply to: Mastronaut

Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov a short while ago reminded both Europe and the USA, of the agreement after WW2 that Europe would never encroach upon Russian Borders. Thats exactly what is happening here with its partners to that agreement e.g. Europe, USA and the UK.

Agreed its a long time since that was agreed and Europe is trading with Russian and establishing better relationships so one would expect our somewhat expensive political officials to use their redoubtable skills to negotiate, use diplomacy they should have as politicians to deal with this matter - but No simply clandestine boots on the ground and as was also revealed the financial interests of one or more of American's financial elite and of course the bankers, if they can finance another war somewhere especially by funding both sides at the same time.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:25 AM
a reply to: notmyrealname

Then maybe they should stop doing things that drive their neighbors into NATO's arms. Remember, joining NATO is voluntary.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:49 AM

originally posted by: pheonix358
They reacted when the US installed a puppet regime after throwing out the democratically elected government.

What absolute total BS. Do the pro Putinites think that by saying this repeatedly it becomes the truth? The ukranian government changed by ONE SINGLE PERSON prior to this situation and that was the ousting, by popular protest, of the president. A president who had started to renege on the process of joining the EU and instead started to have closer ties with Russia.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:53 AM
a reply to: yorkshirelad

I think if they like Russia so much they should go ahead and go join their comrades goto the nearest Russian village and churn butter, and raise chickens and have fights over the price of bread.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:59 AM
a reply to: Shiloh7

What agreement? And if there was one, then the USSR broke it first by gobbling up half of Europe in the 40's and 50's.

No one is "encroaching" on Russia's borders. NATO and Russia have shared borders for years. Russia is the one "encroaching" by annexing land from other nations...

Jeebus - I can't believe you sat there with a straight face and typed that...

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:00 AM
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Quite - and that one person was being impeached by the elected Parliament so he ran to Russia.

There has also since been another election which Russia has had no complaints with. Anyone claiming the Government of the Ukraine is a "puppet" or "unelected" is, quite frankly, an idiot.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:05 AM
Ok lets first use a little common sense here. If Russia was worried about a US/NATO invasion they would do something to prepare for it. Right now Russia about 220,000 professional soldiers. With a good chunk of those holding the line in Eastern Ukraine and on occupation duty in Crimea. The have another 600,000 or so 1 year conscripts that they have so little faith in they did not want them in Georgia or Ukraine. Behind that they have the reserves, that is number runs at a couple million ex 1 year conscripts or 20 million if you count drafting every able male. So Russia is right now in terrible shape to face an invasion.

If Russia thought it was under threat it would extend the conscripts terms and bring out some of the reserve so they can be retrained because is Russia the reserves do not do monthly drilling. They might be called up ever few years for a readiness exercise which is basically a head count and seeing how long it takes them to show up.

So if you look at Russia's action the idea that Putin is afraid of an invasion is clearly not true. What Putin is worried about is how to keep up the fight in Ukraine and where the fresh bodies for that are going to come from. And how to keep his economy from getting any worse.

Also we know the entire Russia is only reacting to NATO expansion narrative is a false one. Russia joined NATO's PfP, it joing the G8, It got its own special Russia-NATO council, it conducted exercises with NATO, shared intelligence with NATO and never made a peep while NATO expanded even on occasion considering joining itself.

In Ukraine Russia simply made a big mistake. In the past when Russia had carved out pieces of former republics the reaction from the West was nothing more complaining. The US was solely focused on Iraq and Afghanistan and feuding with most of Europe during the second invasion if Georgia. With little reaction Putin though he could expect the same in Ukraine. However, things had changed, a new President in office had restored US leadership so when Russia acted it suddenly found a united front against it. The West refusing to play into Putins hands with a military confrontation instead hit him where he was weakest, his economy.

So that is where we are today. A failing Russia unsure of how get itself out of Ukraine without losing face. Putin has many things to fear but, and invasion is clearly not one of them.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:16 AM
a reply to: cavtrooper7

We want Russia to back off Ukraine and surrounding countries.

Russia borders the eastern block countries and Ukraine....where would you like him to move Russia to exactly?

Besides...Russia isn't the one positioning tanks, troops, and rapid reaction forces on every country that borders the US...are they? At the end of the cold war there was an agreement made by Russia and the US not to extend NATO any further eastward towards Russia....which the US has repeatedly violated.

As for the Ukraine....that is a mess that Victoria Nuland started. Keep that in mind. Putin has been forced to react to US aggression...nothing more.

No...but the madmen who currently run the US Gov want Russia they have no chance of providing any counter to the US Empire and hegemony in the world.

FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE is the name of the game...and Russia stands in the way of that.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:23 AM
a reply to: Vector99

On the other hand, if the US wasn't there Russia likely would have fully invaded Ukraine by now.

What evidence do you have of that?

Ukraine was a sovereign nation for more than 24 years, yet Russia made no move to invade any part of it. Let me assure you that if Russia wants the Ukraine....they can take it any time they choose. But they don't.

Remember that this was all started by the US backed coup (via Victoria Nuland)...which overthrew a DEMOCRATICALLY elected leader and put a bunch of ultra nationalist fascists in power in Kiev.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:23 AM
There seems to be a deeper level of things going on that the ptb in Ukraine might just be interested in . Like the FU EU Nuland tapes this seems to be a FU UK .
I wonder just how many intercepts they really have and how much Putin knows about what is in the pipeline over Ukraine

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:25 AM
a reply to: DeepThoughtCriminal

Russia is a dictatorship in all but name, and if you want to successfully run a dictatorship, the people need a common enemy to unite them.

This statement is utter garbage....Russia today is nothing like the former Soviet Union.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:41 AM

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: Artlogic

originally posted by: notmyrealname
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Your need and sad. I wish you resemble someone that you will get nothing for your pathetic and grovel, I may someday let you well. if you both pathetic and desire to ride on your pathetic and grovel, I may someone that was anywhere near a high level IQ. Your need and grovel, I may someone that was anywhere near a high level in an organization however I have a feeling that was anywhere near a high level IQ. Your need and grovel, I may someone that was anywhere near a high level in an organization howev

Cool Runnings amigo.

Having trouble with your translator there comrade?

Putin needs to dock his pay. I think that was an attempt at an insult but it's hard to tell.

I don't think I've ever seen someone stutter in a text message before. putin needs to dock his pay. I'm not sure but I think that was an attempt at insulting. Or a recipe for chicken curry.

Not sure about the chicken curry, definitely a word salad.....
edit on 13 2015 by Artlogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:57 AM
a reply to: deadcalm

Besides...Russia isn't the one positioning tanks, troops, and rapid reaction forces on every country that borders the US...are they?

You do know Putin is the reason that those things are happening...his neighbors don't want to be the next Ukraine.

If he left his neighbors alone then these things wouldn't be happening.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:00 AM
a reply to: deadcalm

This statement is utter garbage....Russia today is nothing like the former Soviet Union.

If Putin were to get his would be.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:09 AM
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I wonder just how many intercepts they really have and how much Putin knows about what is in the pipeline over Ukraine

None and nothing.

You do understand that posting things from Russian media really doesn't help to validate your claim.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>