It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenage girl goes swimming , finds a 1lb bar of Gold

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I often speculate on these "found treasure/money and promptly turned it in to the authorities" stories in regards to their validity. They seem to happen on a pretty regular interval and rarely involve any previously known/publicized losses. Seems like a good way for the powers that be to passive-aggressively "tune" people's thoughts toward turning any find like this in for media head pats and little else. They even apply somewhat incorrect terminology such as "honest" to the returners... let's be "honest" here, unless you either know who something like this belongs to or are directly asked "did you find it?" and lie, the word "honest" doesn't apply to keeping a discovered treasure.

Considering the fact that surrendering a found treasure without an obvious prior owner is not a naturally instinctive response for most people, if these stories aren't staged, imagine the odds against mostly "honest" people being the ones who predominantly find these treasures.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Point. Truely a point.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
You just don't hear about the ones that went unreported.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   

They even apply somewhat incorrect terminology such as "honest" to the returners.

I used the word honest it does not appear in the source , it is my opinion the girl is "honest" which is why we know of the find , perhaps it's a European trait but historical finds are handed in quite often , normally by people looking for them but also chance finds too.

The bar has Degussa Feingold stamped on it , apparently they have been producing bars like this for over 150 years so the gold may date to well before the Nazi era.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Since I'm not European, can someone explain the significance of whether it is or isn't "Nazi gold" to me? Is there some sort of special laws that come into play requiring any Nazi held gold be immediately turned in if found, or is it just more of a curiosity?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

If it's Nazi gold I guess there would be various claims on it , there are researchers searching through old records trying to locate Nazi looted gold and treasures so think it would be classed and dealt with as such.
There is a local story that gold had been dumped in the lake by retreating German forces to stop the Allies getting it , that may be a clue or just a red herring.

If it was shown to be Nazi gold (don't know how they could tell) that would indicate there is more there to be found , the lake looks large so am not sure how thoroughly the police divers would have searched it but if I was German and had diving gear I'm sure I would be there this weekend , just to enjoy my hobby of course.

When the war ended the Allies determined that the Nazis had begun the war with a gold reserve of about $120 million and had seized well more than $600 million in gold from occupied countries, especially Belgium and the Netherlands. The Department of State estimated that the Germans had sold roughly $300 million to Swiss Banks and had laundered about $140 million through Swiss banks for payment of goods from Portugal and Spain. Using gold in payment, the Nazis also directly purchased goods from other countries, primarily Sweden and Roumania, in the amount of $61 million. And it was determined that the U.S. Army had located a total of some $293 million worth of gold.

The Allies, at a reparation conference held in Paris late in 1945, established procedures for the restitution of the gold looted by the Nazis from the central banks of Europe (so-called "Monetary Gold"), as well as for the restitution of "Non-Monetary Gold" (e.g. gold watches and wedding bands). The procedures called for the non-monetary gold to be restituted to individuals and groups of individuals through the auspices of an international refugee organization.
www.archives.gov...

edit on 13-8-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Who would lose a one pound bar of gold?

That's not something that just slips from your hand or pocket without you noticing.

Either 1) this was a hoax/psyops or 2) it was Nazi booty and this girl was legit.

Too she was 16. She probably just wanted to do the right thing and turn it in instead of actually think about what it is. 99% sure she had no clue what 16 ounces of gold was worth (or will be).
edit on 8/15/2015 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The area at the bottom of the bar where it's been ground down is where one would usually find a unique serial number, somewhere out there is a certificate with matching number. It's my opinion that it's stolen or proceeds of crime of some sort.

Just my dos centavos, :-)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Nah, any gold is Rothschild's gold. Simple peasants don't get to keep their birth rite.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It's too bad that it will likely disappear, and the girl receives nothing, but that's been the standard outcome most times.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
In my current economic position I would of stalled around to decide if it was some type of setup and then eventually had it melted for eventual sale as if I were a prospector of some sort. Then again it might make a nice coffee table conversation piece.

The Gold Bar picture provided has its serial number ground off. Assuming the picture is the actual bar in the story (not a photo stock picture).

The person who deposited the bar in the lake first ground the number off in an effort to destroy the link to the last legal purchaser and then tossed it in the lake to destroy the link to himself.

Could be just some wealthy cat tossing it out like one might deposit ashes and toss a coin in a fountain or a criminal getting rid of evidence that he feared might come back to haunt him.
edit on 8/17/15 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
There are complications with trying to sell that amount of gold...

We have an exchange here that will buy gold and silver, and you can also buy some yourself there.

I don't think they'd be comfortable with some nobody showing up with a 1lb bar of gold and wanting to sell it. It would raise quite a few eyebrows.

And melting it down...? Does anyone have a crucible and the gear to do that, along with the knowledge of how?

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

They might be uncomfortable with someone who appears disheveled like a dope fiend, but they are there to make money off of transactions.

They sell crucibles and whatnot on Amazon of course - plenty of books too. I was never a mechanic but watching YouTube I learned to do my own brakes, replace window motors, add door actuators to open the trunk etc.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join