It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2015 ACC Strategic Plan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The latest planning document for the Air Combat Command has been released, and has some interesting tidbits.

Bombers:

The B-1 and LRS-B will be consolidated under the Global Strike Command, on October 1st.

A-X:

The ACC has identified a need, to be addressed in the short to mid-term for a low threat environment, dedicated CAS platform. Essentially an improved A-10 type platform.

It also calls for selective modernization for aircraft until replacements are fielded.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Replacement for the A-10? I thought that's what the F35 was.

OK, I'm thoroughly confused. Not hard to do, this I know... But I thought I had it understood.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

They're looking for something that can wander through almost uncontested airspace, only preforming the CAS mission, that won't cost as much, or tie up resources. The F-35 will perform that mission in day one and until the threat is reduced, then this platform will be used.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If developing a new dedicated CAS aircraft I would hope the designers have the same approach to the A-X that the Warthog guys did, design the aircraft around the gun. Might be the F-35s cannon as opposed to the beloved Avenger, not to much threat from Soviet MBTs as there was but a CAS aircraft still needs a gun that packs a wallop + a kick in the armor.

Short to mid term ehh? They must already have an airframe in mind then. Would some stealth features be a requirement as well? Even if a low threat environment those new Russian SAMs could wind up anywhere, especially if that tech found its way into man portable systems if it hasn't already.

I hope the Warbird foundation can snag a Hog before they all see the boneyard.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

I'll bet some of them end up in service flying under other flags. At least Boeing is hoping so.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I've seen videos of the warthog, and talked to some military boots, and they have said the warthog was god's gift to the infantrymen in the field....the replacement has to be one bad ass plane.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It's an impressive plane.

No if ands or butts.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Really? The A-X is all you guys are noticing?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Im from Australia is there any talk of a F117 replacement?...the F35 can bomb but its not stealth.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

The F-35 is as stealthy or stealthier than the F-22.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

That may be so but would you fly the F35 into say North Korea as a bomber I remember Gulf War 1,the F117 was definately the star of that show.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

The F-35 is stealthier and far more flexible than the F-117 could ever dream of being. It can do the mission better than the Nighthawk, and it wouldn't have any issue going to North Korea, or anywhere else.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

The F-117 was first gen. stealth. The F-35 is MANY generations beyond the stealth used in the nighthawk, plus light years beyond in sensors and avionics, hence one of the reasons the nighthawk has been retired.
I'd take an F-35 into N. Korea before anything in the current inventory.

...but that's just me.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

www.afgsc.af.mil...

I'm wondering whether the unified bomber command is to help the bomber community navigate the bureaucracy of the pentagon and allow for the bomber platform to be used in new and interesting roles.

A hypothetical example is an anti-air bomber payload with a large quiver of long range anti air missiles. This could work in conjunction with the F-22. It is similar to the F-35's sensor and BVR missile future.

Here's a good link and analysis...
breakingdefense.com...

edit on 12-8-2015 by hawks because: added link

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The F-35 is as stealthy or stealthier than the F-22.

That is the first I have heard of that. Hmm. Thanks for that tidbit.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

So what your saying is be online around october 1st for the official word.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

It should be before then. We're hoping by around this time next month, but yes, that's an important date.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hawks

By removing the bombers from ACC, it streamlines budgeting, maintenance, and opens up missions.

Interesting, ain't it.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
So, we should know more about LRS-B really, really soon?

Does this mean that it's actually in production?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

No, they're flying EMD platforms.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join