It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Why 96 million 'shadeballs' were just released into the LA Reservoir"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

But white reflects, doesn't absorb.

I don't understand why they couldn't have started a program that works similar to the natural pool trend going on. There has to be something that can live and clean the water, naturally.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Does anyone have a list of chemicals they are using in the plastic or the coating?

This is really strange. It must be experimental, this is the only place its being tried?

I can't wait to hear Boron is one, that absorbs Neutrinos from Radioactivity.

ETA: oaky, they're made of Polyethylene, have water in them for ballast and…

They’re also seeing use on the tailing ponds where miners store contaminated water, to keep birds away from toxic agents, and in wastewater treatment facilities, to keep odors at bay.

Still like to know what the chemical coating is.

Here's a link to a shade-ball supplier which has a bit of information on how they work and what they're made of ...

eccllc.us...

They're used in a number of applications apparently. I'd never heard of these things until this thread.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf
Would n`t the money spent have been more effective building more water impoundment?

Not to mention there are existing covers already on many of California's reservoirs (and many other states) that are more like a very thick pool cover that you can even walk on. They actually do limit evaporation and light penetration without being some short-sighted gimmick some politicians authorized so they could seem "smart".

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: astra001uk
a reply to: research100

sadly i have read that carbon black is the covering on the shade balls to stop the uv from breaking down the plastic in the balls

The "carbon black" isn't a coating. The "carbon black" is the coloring agent that is mixed in with the plastic during the forming process.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I was told by my Aunt that my cousin at Hermosa Beach California takes a shower with a bucket in the shower stall. So she can water the plants in her flower bed. Must be really bad out there. Population control is probably on people's minds. The people should move to the Mississippi river area. It rains a lot there.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: circuitsports
"Why 96 million 'shadeballs' were just released into the LA Reservoir"

"The shadeball mania started in 2008 after Los Angeles realized that two of its reservoirs had unusually high levels of bromate, a suspect cancer-causing agent. Since bromate is formed when sunlight reacts with bromide (a chemical found in water) and ozone or chlorine (both of which are used to disinfect water) the city decided to shield the water from sunlight."

According to Bloomberg, the four-inch-wide shadeballs are coated with a UV-light blocking chemical. They're hollow and filled with water to keep them from flying away. Each one costs around 36¢ to make. "

Just a quick edit but Bromate is used in farming in California despite being a known carcinogen.

This entire project sounds ridiculous and kind of sinister.

40,000,000 was spent to cover a water reservoir in black plastic balls - why not white plastic balls that would cool the water no one knows.

What is known is that it's supposedly to fight algae and carcinogens that are formed when chemicals "added" to the water supply are exposed to sunlight.

What happens when super heated black plastic sits in water - probably more carcinogens I'd imagine - but whats even worse is the plastic balls are themselves coated in UV blocking chemicals that are also likely carcinogenic.

With this and the massive reduction of roadways I think this is the stage for massive reductions in population or crippling movement for control and taxation - either that or these people are ridiculously stupid....which I don't buy.

finance.yahoo.com... 4.html
edit on Wed Aug 12 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX tags added IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

Why would we want to cool the water? Its not the heat that is issue, its the sunlight.

Sinister reasons? Honestly, do you guys see a conspiracy in every single thing?

"This sandwich has less filling than that one...i dont know wjy, but its sinister"
It must be EXHAUSTING being so paranoid.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Does anyone have a list of chemicals they are using in the plastic or the coating?

This is really strange. It must be experimental, this is the only place its being tried?

I can't wait to hear Boron is one, that absorbs Neutrinos from Radioactivity.

ETA: oaky, they're made of Polyethylene, have water in them for ballast and…

They’re also seeing use on the tailing ponds where miners store contaminated water, to keep birds away from toxic agents, and in wastewater treatment facilities, to keep odors at bay.

Still like to know what the chemical coating is.

Boron absorbs neutrons, not neutrinos. Boron is found in Boric acid. Its nothing sinister. In fact, its very inert chemically.

And you sound like a tabloid newspaper by the way:

"Same element that is used in NUCLEAR REACTORS is used to protect your water source! Boffins say there is no radioactive danger"

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen
a reply to: research100

Since the balls are all dark, i suspect it will be part of heating the water.

Seems to be a radical "solution", to a much bigger problem.

And you dont think anyone thaought of that? You think you are the only one who realises that black absorbs more heat? Or could it be there is a reason they chose black?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

thanks for that, that makes more sense and means the balls will be safe for use in the water and thats got to be a good thing

posted on Oct, 27 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I had to search for this on ATS after reading about this on a news site, thankfully someone has beaten me to it about this incredible idea AND IT WORKS.

Every now and then an idea like this comes along and you just have to take a breath and say "Thats Bloody genius right there".

top topics

<< 1   >>

join