It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 reported dead, 300 injured, after blast rocks busy Chinese port

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Seen a couple of reports on Twitter of journalists becoming sick while in the area, and checks being carried out for biochemical agents.

Seems the explosion might have only been one of the problems. I have a feeling the affects from the chemicals present across this site are likely to cause even more damage.

Always important to remember that Twitter posts are not verified news, but it seems logical that a site like this and an explosion destroying pretty much all of it would lead to considerable chemical pollutant risks.

Also concerning that there are reports of industrial explosives being present there. Does make you wonder what else might be in that mix, especially if they were storing anything military related.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shugo
a reply to: jimmyx

The confirmed number as I saw it on CNN as of now is 7, with close to 300 injured and an unknown number missing. Based on the size of the explosion, I think that 7 number is rather incredible.

I think it's safe to say that number is unfortunately going to rise, and probably considerably too. I would be surprised if the number of fatalities doesn't exceed 100 at least.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Unless you speak Chinese, you can't understand what's being said. The holy #! sure comes through loud and clear in his tone though. I guess some things are universal. I hope that nobody died. That was horrendous.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonjudgementalist
We don't know how many died because there is a media blackout in the area. In a few days we will see hundreds of flattened buildings with a death toll inevitably in the hundreds. If there is a hazardous chemical leak the death toll could reach thousands, and would make search and rescue a lot more challenging.

one of the first reports said around 1000 people 'injured'.

I also read really crazy things that I don't buy without video footage or confirmation, like buildings leveled and burning cars miles away...(Sorry don't have the links ready)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: asen_y2k

That reminds me of the huge explosion in Ukraine a few months back. This one was truly horrifying. I'd hate to be close to that.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
Seen a couple of reports on Twitter of journalists becoming sick while in the area, and checks being carried out for biochemical agents.

Seems the explosion might have only been one of the problems. I have a feeling the affects from the chemicals present across this site are likely to cause even more damage.

Always important to remember that Twitter posts are not verified news, but it seems logical that a site like this and an explosion destroying pretty much all of it would lead to considerable chemical pollutant risks.

Also concerning that there are reports of industrial explosives being present there. Does make you wonder what else might be in that mix, especially if they were storing anything military related.

Sadly,Chemical plant location have been confirmed I think. I Even forgot about that. Explosion and Shockwave were bad enough.

I hope the best for them but it's not looking god.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Seems like "Hazardous gas warning" has been issued

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Eagleyedobserver

Those rumours definitely seem exgarratted... but the explosion was HUGE.. so I don't know...

What is clear is that the first 1/4 of a mile will have significant loss of life and structural damage... But 10miles away? Not so sure about that.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

There was a really big explosion in North Korea a few years back (wow over ten years now) that kind of reminds me of this one.

The Ryongchŏn disaster was a train disaster that occurred on April 22, 2004, in the town of Ryongchŏn, North Korea, near the border with the People's Republic of China. The disaster occurred when flammable cargo exploded at Ryongchon Station at around 13:00 local time (04:00 GMT).

The news was released by South Korean media outlets, which reported that up to 3,000 people had been killed or injured in the blast and subsequent fires.

[1] The North Korean government declared a state of emergency in the region, but little information about the accident has been made public by the North Korean government. Shortly after the accident the North Korean government cut telephone lines to the rest of the world (an action correspondents attributed either to a desire to inhibit foreign reporting or to prevent their own population from learning news about the accident)

en.wikipedia.org...
At least the Chinese are not as secretive.
edit on 12-8-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Edit

edit on 12-8-2015 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

There was also a huge explosion at an arms depot in Iraq during the US invasion at the Falcon storage facility.
Supposedly it was covered up and played down but its true scale inevitably leaked. I don't know how it compares to this one because I don't think there were videos but i think it was either bigger or on the same scale.

At least china are not secretive eh.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Looked like a class 1.1d explosion. could be black powder, gunpowder or industrial metals. There was a large stockpile without obvious gates and partitions for safety. My bet just a company that uses flammable metals and materials and their sprinkler system was very inadequate. Nothing military because even the chinese would use the proper building specs to keep this from happening.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Somebody on YouTube said this was caused by a meteor. Doubtful to me, but that would be quite a perfect storm huh? A meteor just happens to hit a factory/plant with materials that are combustible to a high degree. Whatever the case, those videos were wild. It registered as a 2.8 earthquake from what I was reading. Wild stuff.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: s1ngular1ty
Somebody on YouTube said this was caused by a meteor. Doubtful to me, but that would be quite a perfect storm huh? A meteor just happens to hit a factory/plant with materials that are combustible to a high degree. Whatever the case, those videos were wild. It registered as a 2.8 earthquake from what I was reading. Wild stuff.

chances of something like that are small even though it's a whole area filled with chemical plants. it's not like a meteor would've to hit one spot in a impossibly precise way (Chain reaction)

But in that case I'm sure we'd be getting reports of a shockwave before the explosions.
edit on 12-8-2015 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: s1ngular1ty

It makes you think though doesn't it?

It would only take a relatively small meteor to make an explosion that big, and in a densely industrial or residential area, it would be devastating.
edit on 12-8-2015 by nonjudgementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Just seen a tweet from a NYT journalist who spoke to two injured survivors from a building which they say collapsed, and they estimated 2000 (two thousand) staff were in the building at that time.

I'm taking that with a bucket of salt for the time being, chances are something was perhaps lost in translation there. Seems unlikely to me that one building in such a place would have 2000 people working inside it at that time in the early hours.

Some of the images coming out now that dawn has arrived are showing a scene of utter devastation around the site, and that seems to be some distance from the continuing fire which I assume is at the center of it.

It's hard to calculate the size of this from the images and videos of the explosion, but I believe the videos we've seen of the actual blast happening were taken further away from it than many thought, which would make this a much larger explosion affecting a much larger area than many first thought.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
That explosion was so bad that those things that look like fireworks trailers could be burning drums being thrown up in the air.

There was a much smaller scale explosion in KC accompanied by a fire, and it through off some burning barrels before it was done.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Some videos of the blast in one place.

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
From @CCTVNEWS on twitter

Police say explosion was at Tianjin Rui Hai Int'l Logistics which transports hazardous goods

According to the Tianjin Public Security Bureau, the explosion happened at the Tianjin Dongjiang Port Rui Hai International Logistics Co. Ltd., which handles the transport of hazardous goods. The company’s website said it was established in 2011.
The People’s Daily has reported that a Ruihai company representative has been detained.

Source
edit on 12 8 2015 by Mastronaut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: s1ngular1ty

No but Project :THOR could AKA Rods from God ...IF such a system existed.
AMERICA is looking for an edge.

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join