It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Classical music, Operas and all.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
In my opinion, nothing comes close to the music of Johann Sabastian Bach.

Sometimes I wish he'd just come back down to Earth and show all these talantless 'musicians' what music really is.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spreadthetruth
In my opinion, nothing comes close to the music of Johann Sabastian Bach.

Few will argue the greatness of JS Bach or any of the Bach family. Well, maybe some might argue about PDQ Bach.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
Kids grow up watching cartoons yet I would venture to say that not one in a hundred realize the music accompanying those cartoons comes from the classics and mostly from Rossini's William Tell Overture.

Reminds me of the old joke that defined an "intellectual" as someone who could listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.

I forget the title, but there was a fantastic Bugs Bunny cartoon from Warner Bros. which had Bugs strolling the streets of Manhattan, to the glorious accompaniment of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue," which for me always defined New York City. It was a perfect use of the music, much better than the never-ending mangling of it by United Airlines.

Baack

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Marg if you're into New Age music (and I'll admit I am), try Enya or Clannad. Yanni is ok but they are better.

Baack that lets me out as an intellectual because I still think of the Lone Ranger when I get to that part of the overture.

[edit on 2-9-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I never did like Bach that much, he is so somber & serious. Now Mozart, on the other hand, has a quality to his music that not even Beethoven can match. Not saying Beethoven was bad, heck he's the best that ever lived, but there is something about Mozart's music that I just find soul satisfying.

Here is a little bit of trivia for you. Did you know that dairy cows actually give more milk when listening to Mozart. Don't ask me who did the experiments, I just remember reading that sometime over my life.

[edit on 2-9-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

To each his own, I guess, but we are talking classical music here.

What next?

Ok!!!!I know is new age, but still the concerts are just beautiful with all the vocals and instruments.

What next? well I got pleanty of the old classics but once in a while I need that edge.
I am not that old you know.

I love piano, flute, violin and guitars actually all string instrument..

In my family we all learned to play an instrument while we were growing up, thanks to my father love for music.

I am familiar with enya.

Mozart violin concerto No.5 is great for relaxation.

What about Baroque masterpieces, I know I know Bach comes to mind, but also Vivaldi.

And let no forget Beethoven Piano sonata no.20.

Anybody likes Mozart The marriage of Figaro? I don’t.

How about Strauss Jr.

I have a great collection after all.

[edit on 2-9-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Classical music is very powerfull to the ear and brain, its one of the few types of music that still gives me Goosbumps (spelling?)...
I like to apply it to movies the most, sounds great, nothing can come close to it when shooting a battle scene with some great Orcestral music in the background

Im not really a big fan on it, in terms of constant replays of it, but now and then i like to chill out and listen to it.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I once thought opera music would die out, as many people I know (like my husband) consider it caterwaul. Thanks to the artists who have this passion it still exists and is a strong cultural component--from, yes, old cartoons to Hollywood films, to offshoots such as operettas.

I like opera music with vocal or sans. (Now, MY singing is caterwaul, but, what the heck, singing along with a diva is great fun and healthy.) Classical music vocal eludes me, however.

I love Puccini's LaBoheme and Madama Butterfly, Bizet's Carmen, and Delibes's Lakme.

I think if people (young people especially) were told what the opera is about, hearing the translations even, they might find it more interesting, maybe even appreciative. When you tell people that opera deals with human nature, its joys, its sufferings, who we are, throughout history, they begin to understand. One opera makes you laugh, another cry, another hear cultural or mythic stories. Opera combines much passion for the soul, singing, dancing, visual art...

I was fortunate to grow up with a wide range of music, including classical, and appreciation for much.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Living here in Midland, Texas is not exactly conducive to live appreciation of classical music. Most of the people around here are either cowboys, farmers, or oil people and as you might imagine there are loads of country & western stations scattered across the FM dial. My friends still occassionally ask me if I still listen to that wierd music (meaning classical). When I say yes I do, they invariably make a comment to the effect that they don't see how I stand it. Just goes with the territory I guess.

Folks around here tend to be very conservative--many of them think Eastern Democrats are almost card carrying commies. They don't take too well to change either--if it was good enough for my daddy then it's good enough for me. They are decent, honest people though (for the most part). It isn't even necessary to lock your house or car when you aren't around. The kids all complain that there is nothing to do--meaning there isn't any place for them to go get in trouble. Consequently, it is a great place to raise a family.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by Astronomer70]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I like music that makes me think and is so complex that a piece that I listen to nearly everyday can still hold surprises. I listen to country and rock, but it's the classical that challenges me. I pity those who don't learn to appreciate good music.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
You aren't all that far from me Grady. Someday we'll have to get together for a beer--or what have you.

My musical preferences run to the quieter stuff, that I can really relax to. Chopin (the poet of the piano) has written a lot that keeps me happy. I have some 15,000 or so songs in my PC's music library and do listen to them. Most of the rock music I listen to came from the 60's and 70's, but a lot of what I like comes from what I call pre-rock pop.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It is obvious from most of the posts we have some here who appreciate good music so I was wondering what your opinion is about the music Jackie Gleason inspired?

Go here and listen to the short clips from an album called Lonesome Echo done in all strings it has to be his best achievement although I like all his music. If you enjoy the clips I defy you to buy the album and then try and listen to it without falling asleep

Alternate Link for those who use more then windows player

BTW for those that are not aware of it Jackie Gleason never could read or write music he only did the arrangements as I understand it.

Sorry for going off topic if you feel it would be better off in another thread I would be more then happy to start one rather then ruin the original topic here which is classical.

[edit on 9/4/2006 by shots]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Astronomer70 I am aware that people think that raising children in an area that is isolated from the rest of the state or nation but that is not so in my opinion, isolation takes away from children to grow culturally.

I know I rise my in the military moving every 3 to 4 years and they learned to feel comfortable with other from different back grounds.

The both appreciate music and play music also.

Shots is many people that know the music of Jackie Gleason even my children know it.

The only think I regret is that my salsa has been replaced by the most incredible trash that I have ever heard is called regatton.

Now music is something that soothes the soul and teaches people to open their mind to beauty but is sad that no all type of music does that.

Classical music was done in such a way it synchronizes with brain waves causing certain effects.

But the music of today is bringing the worst of many people including children.

Most modern music just brings the ugliness of the human nature.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hey, Shots, wow, I had forgotten about JG's music, until you brought it up. I do remember enjoying his music. Thanks for the info.

OK, now, I gotta say this...I hated country music growing up, being in an area that DIDN'T have one cw station. "Hick music". Then I moved to an area that had one NON-COUNTRY station, and where a groom would serenade his bride by strumming on the guitar and singing Willie Nelson.
Well, one day I forced myself to listen to some of the classic country songs, and, lo and behold, I found the same soulful expressions as in an opera.
While still not a fan of cw, I can at least sit around the desert campfire after a day of atv rides with my friends and not cover my ears with a pillow while cw blares from their motorhome outdoor speakers! In fact, after a coffee and kahlua, I might join in singing.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This kind of thread is good for us in my opinion. It puts a little flesh & blood around what is otherwise just the dry name of someone who discusses things on ATS. Of course at my age I'll probably forget most of the likes & dislikes of the people on this thread fairly soon, but until I do, I'll probably be just a bit more considerate of your postings.

Shots the only thing I can remember that Jackie Gleason composed was Melancholy Serenade and as I remember, that was back in the 50's. I watched his TV show a few times and he and the honeymooners would always play something.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
Shots the only thing I can remember that Jackie Gleason composed was Melancholy Serenade and as I remember, that was back in the 50's.

That was not really composing in my mind. As I recall he hummed it out to a songwriter who in turn wrote the actual notes of music out for him since he could not read nor write music.

It really makes no difference to me. All I know is he was good at arranging the final score and telling those that played how he wanted it to sound, that is what made his music, he had one good ear for music.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join