It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Number of Ground Zero responders with 9/11-linked cancers hits 3,700

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I had absolutely no idea that the cancer rates were so high for the first responders and others at ground zero and 9/11

The rising toll of Ground Zero responders and others afflicted with 9/11-linked cancers has hit 3,700.

The staggering tally of those suffering cancers certified by the feds as 9/11-related includes FDNY members (1,100), cops and other Ground Zero responders (2,134), and survivors such as downtown workers and residents (467). Many have more than one type of cancer.

The FDNY’s chief medical officer, Dr. David Prezant, said over 2,100 firefighters and EMS personnel have retired on disability with World Trade Center-related illnesses, mostly lung disease and cancer, since 9/11.

nypost.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

My heart goes out to the brave men and women who went into that mess, trying to help others.

It's almost cringe-worthy just thinking about the concrete/metal/glass dust that tragedy spewed up into the air. The folks who were at ground zero were exposed to the nastiest of it. Very tough to hear things like this

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It amazes me how such a short exposure time lead to such a high rate of cancer.

When we hear people talking about Mesothelioma and other respiratory diseases, we are used to it taking months, years or even decades of exposure to make someone sick. This incident happened and was cleaned up in a matter of months (although the exposure that police/fire experienced was probably even less than that because they were not as involved in the later stages of cleanup), and we have a huge rate of multiple types of cancers. Crazy!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Yea this is an untalked about issue. Think about it though. Those people stood around and breathed in asbestos and all sorts of other nastiness that was in the walls as they were sifting through the rubble and stuff.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think I read that the towers were built using asbestos? That dust will kill you. It's why you are no longer allowed to use it in construction, where I live anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I get lung cancer from exposure but colon cancer, prostate cancer and lymphoma.
Those are not caused by asbestos. There has to be something else causing these cancers.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

The EPA issued press releases that the dust was safe, when clearly it was highly toxic. We're now seeing the results of those who breathed in that dust. It's a sad situation for all these families.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
That's really sad and horrible. I also wonder what the cancer rate is in the few people who survived the attack and the media people who filmed it all., and the people who cleaned up the mess.
edit on 12-8-2015 by Cloudbuster because: Added extra info

new topics

top topics

join