It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(top news) Tsunami toll could top 100,000 (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The Red Cross recently announced that the death toll resulting from the Tsumani that has already killed over 77,000 people could reach an astounding 100,000 once all the bodies are found. Emergency workers from India to Indonesia are currently working to bury dead corpses in an attempt to ward off disease. Respiratory and water-borne diseases have been predicted to break out as a result of this natural disaster. "Individual miracles" have been found by brave rescuers. The scope of this disaster is still being evaluated.

www.msnbc.msn.com
BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - The death toll from the earthquake and tsunamis that devastated coastal areas in southern Asia soared to nearly 77,000 on Wednesday, and the Red Cross said it feared that it could exceed 100,000 once bodies buried in the mud and wreckage are counted.

With tens of thousands of people still missing three days after the magnitude 9.0 quake and tsunami it triggered swept the region, Peter Ress, operations support chief for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, said the eventual death toll would be "absolutely enormous."

"I would not be surprised that we are over 100,000 dead (by the time all the fatalities are counted)," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The facts surrounding this disaster are truly devastating. When I first heard of the news of this event, I was truly frightened. It makes me wonder a lot about the future of the world. No one no matter where they live are secure from natural disasters that can suddenly take place and claim the lives of many. This is a time where everyone around the world should be praying and finding ways to give support to the people in Indonesia and surrounding areas. The fact that the death toll could reach over 100,000 should really alert everyone in the world that this is not just another natural disaster. This is truly one for the history books and one that no one should ever forget. But at the same time there is no guarantee that more disasters of this magnitude won't happen in the future.

[edit on 12/19/2004 by Mr Knowledge]

new topics

join