It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Engaging The Fear Machine: Media Manipulation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Fox News has the visuals down to a science. That's why they're number one. The practice permeates all aspects of their programming from the graphics to the gorgeous commentators in their solid color skimpy dresses. You're more than justified for singling them out.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: Revolution9

Facts are facts. They are objective. The method I personally prefer to use to find them is by research and comparison. There are still good places to find raw data - and raw data doesn't lie. We might draw subjective conclusions of our own from it, but the data, itself, when looked at as a whole, tends to be purely objective.

Raw data means nothing until it is interpreted. I can't think of a single instance where any individual has ever told the truth. One example:

They crucified a man on a cross 2000 years ago.

Interpretation:

He was the Son of God and had to suffer this in line with scripture.

He was a good man who meant well and had lots of good humanitarian ideas.

He was really the Devil.

He was a criminal of the Jewish system at the time and blasphemed against God.

He was a Jewish Shaman.

He never existed and is a concoction made of various personalities.

There are six different interpretations there. Is there a truth there? Even saying they crucified a man on a cross 2000 years ago has been debunked in one of those interpretations with plenty of intellectual argument to back it up. All the other interpretations have an equal share of intellectual argument to back their interpretations. Raw data once harnessed is an interpretation. Without interpretation there is no meaning to the data. We can't even say statistics are ultimate proof because of the shortfalls in data collection and we all know how many games can be played with that.

I can't even say that I tell the truth as much as I try. I can be honest and admit my shortcomings and lack of qualification to 100% reflect reality.

I would challenge any body to write something that was 100% truthful without bias and with a 100% refutable source beyond contention. If I could do that I surely would.

That is why we have to have lawyers, judges and courtrooms and even after all that effort we STILL get it wrong on a frequent basis. We can only seek to get the nearest version to the truth. Even with evolution only a proportion of people believe this to be how it really happened.

Say with the French attacks of CH, just that the media reported this could be argued to be a fearmongering initiative.

The quality or state of being true, a fact or belief that is accepted as true is a human value. It is not fool proof. That is why lawyers get paid so well and a good one is priceless.

I can't say I believe anything or anybody with certainty. I can see benefits in certain versions and short falls in others. It is like an endless dialogue of interpretation this human perception of reality. Lol, even God didn't get away with having whole say on the truth. Satan had to come along and challenge His version of events. Even that is just a metaphor and may in all actuality never have happened at all.

I can see merit in your thread and the way it is challenging mainstream media, but I can't see how mainstream media can quite change the situation. Without a collective version all we are is a mass of different interpretations like ATS is. Sure mainstream media is used as a tool to sway people in certain directions, more fool them if they are so easily played and swayed. I still don't think anyone can say they have escaped that. They are still swayed by their own beliefs, prejudices, likes, dislikes, choices and so on, albeit a little less shallowly.

The only organisation that really benefits from this state is ATS (joke to end my post with).

We squeeze the universe into words. The moment we started speaking and self reflecting was the day we opened Pandora's Media Box. Words are meant to accurately convey information yet even they break down in misunderstandings and with age,

“Words strain,
Crack and sometimes break, under the burden,
Under the tension, slip, slide, perish,
Decay with imprecision, will not stay in place,
Will not stay still.”

Good luck with truth!

(post by KZrkiller removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I'm full Right, don't drop and think i'm christian

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: KZrkiller
IE, Gay rights and a rainbow cast upon the White House.......

I'm going to have to be pedantic. Gay rights was not cast on the White House. A rainbow was not cast on the White House.

A projection depicting the colours of the rainbow for a brief period of time at some point in time was projected onto the front of the White House so I am told five thousand miles away after seeing a digital image representing the event and from some sources saying that they witnessed the event, a President saying he did this and the member here saying that they saw the image on the news channel or wherever they saw it.

See, you have only given your opinion of what happened and it is not how I see it.

There are yet holes in my interpretation and a good lawyer could twist me round their little finger for that statement.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: KZrkiller

Haha, You are exactly right. I'm an active part of the herd. I talk to those who can't find their way and show them truths and facts.

I am the Shepherd dog in the herd that bites the heels of those who run amok.

Don't be scared of what you can't see.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: KZrkiller
I'm full Right, don't drop and think i'm christian

No, you are not. You are a quarter right, a quarter left, a quarter front and a quarter rear.

But really I know what you mean. You are saying you are a Republican and think you are a Christian. I bet I could find someone who analysed your life and behaviour who might say you are not living Christ's words properly enough. There are some who would say there is no such thing as a Christian because Christ did not exist. You have only given an opinion, not the truth. You even used the term, "I think". It is what you think, but not how others think. It is totally subjective relying on another interpretation that interpreted the life of a man 2000 years ago.

I could do exactly the same thing with your Republican stance, but did not want to bore you.

Don't drop could mean many different things, but I presume you mean you do not give up until you are incapacitated to the point that you can no longer stand. Yet, if somebody held a gun to the head of a loved one and said drop down and give me ten would you not do it? Or would you think, just to prove that bastard on ATS wrong, I'll let this guy shoot and I will be stubborn because I want to live up to my own words spoken so many months back. Under the right circumstance a five foot tall guy could make you drop. You gave an opinion you see and I can offer an alternative interpretation and even suggest your statement is quite limited and even false, that it is not truth.
edit on 12-8-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

"Caveat Emptor." People have been lying and cheating and fooling others since time immemorial.... and people let themselves be for various reasons, but in the end, it comes down to ego and feeding the ego.

When I look at that graphic, I first see the "Unemployment down" and the big red arrow and I think the unemployment rate is down. I then see the big # and have to look for the "jobs added" to see what the number refers to. I would suggest that people who see it differently are seeing what they want to see... but, yes, I'm sure that whoever created that graphic also knew that. In this case, Fox would be creating a graphic which is true, but in a way that they already know their viewers/readers will respond.

My dad sat me down when I was girl and demonstrated -- with three different newspapers reporting on the same story -- that different articles reported different things. All were technically true; all had some of the same facts, and all had more or less facts than the others. He pointed out the use of adjectives in any news report is a red flag, because adjectives are subjective -- not facts. He also taught me to consider what facts are included but have no real relevance to the story which can color opinions. And when the reader wants to feed their ego instead of understanding the basic facts, the reader will find their own.

When my kids were young and starting to want whatever cereal or toy or whatever was advertised during their cartoons, I taught them to "spot the lie." They figured it out. It wasn't rocket science. My son was only about 5 when he pointed out beer commercials that "make men think if they drink that beer they'll get all the pretty girls." NLP blatantly exploits the ego. Once the NLP practitioner has your ego hooked, the next step is often to associate your ego with the practitioner.... so any criticism or attacks against the practitioner becomes a criticism or attack of you, and you end up fighting anyone who dares to do so. Their battle becomes your battle.

Oprah has stated outright that she used NLP techniques on her audience. Bill Clinton hosted Tony Robbins (the self-help guru and master of NLP) at Camp David during his presidency. During the '08 election, Obama was accused of using NLP tactics to the masses, and I remember one report that went into explicit detail of how Obama did it. Most of Obama's supporters called it nonsense and crazy... and attacked the accusers. Obama's battle became their battle. I did however read one supporter who basically said yes, he is using NLP, but it's working -- so great!

I have no respect for those who lie and manipulate others. Unfortunately, too many people are too willing to be manipulated (and manipulate others) if it suits their own purposes and to hell with everyone else. Too many people are willing to believe their opinions as facts.

This is an excellent post and I'm really glad you wrote it. The more people who learn from this the better. The more people can examine the "truths" they're being told -- and their own conscience -- the better for all of us.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
When the government lies to the people it is for our own good,
If the people lie to the government it is called purgury and get criminally charged.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Is the media really manipulative with an agenda?

Or has media realized the divisions in culture and society and is just giving the people what they want.

Advertising on the other hand is very manipulative and skillful with their hype.

www.whale.to...

And with the elections coming up the hype, manipulation will be in full swing; One of the most obscene ad campaigns know to the modern world.

What a great culture where perception is more important than reality......

As I type this post from an office dedicated to creating a false reality.

edit on 12-8-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The fact that you DID single out Fox News from all of the major news orgs and FN is not on the party line, is indicative that you are simply pulling the same trick on us that your propose to elucidate.

I can only conclude that you have already bought into the position of the other networks and don't even know it.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Or maybe I used the information cited in the sourced article, as that is the preferred methodology in debate, while openly stating that all news services do this and specifically discussing the use of Fox as an example.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Have to admit, you really got me there. My response to the visuals was exactly as predicted. At first "look" (not read), I thought the message was that "employment" was way down. Then I read the words.

One thing I experienced was that all in all, the picture, the graphics were very confusing; it seemed to produce a cognitive disconnect I had trouble reconciling. Somewhat disturbing to me.

But the whole idea behind the "masses" is that they are easily led and easily mislead.

The end result for me and many others is that I scarcely believe much of anything I read or see anymore.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

"Caveat Emptor." People have been lying and cheating and fooling others since time immemorial.... and people let themselves be for various reasons, but in the end, it comes down to ego and feeding the ego.

When I look at that graphic, I first see the "Unemployment down" and the big red arrow and I think the unemployment rate is down. I then see the big # and have to look for the "jobs added" to see what the number refers to. I would suggest that people who see it differently are seeing what they want to see... but, yes, I'm sure that whoever created that graphic also knew that. In this case, Fox would be creating a graphic which is true, but in a way that they already know their viewers/readers will respond.

My dad sat me down when I was girl and demonstrated -- with three different newspapers reporting on the same story -- that different articles reported different things. All were technically true; all had some of the same facts, and all had more or less facts than the others. He pointed out the use of adjectives in any news report is a red flag, because adjectives are subjective -- not facts. He also taught me to consider what facts are included but have no real relevance to the story which can color opinions. And when the reader wants to feed their ego instead of understanding the basic facts, the reader will find their own.

When my kids were young and starting to want whatever cereal or toy or whatever was advertised during their cartoons, I taught them to "spot the lie." They figured it out. It wasn't rocket science. My son was only about 5 when he pointed out beer commercials that "make men think if they drink that beer they'll get all the pretty girls." NLP blatantly exploits the ego. Once the NLP practitioner has your ego hooked, the next step is often to associate your ego with the practitioner.... so any criticism or attacks against the practitioner becomes a criticism or attack of you, and you end up fighting anyone who dares to do so. Their battle becomes your battle.

Oprah has stated outright that she used NLP techniques on her audience. Bill Clinton hosted Tony Robbins (the self-help guru and master of NLP) at Camp David during his presidency. During the '08 election, Obama was accused of using NLP tactics to the masses, and I remember one report that went into explicit detail of how Obama did it. Most of Obama's supporters called it nonsense and crazy... and attacked the accusers. Obama's battle became their battle. I did however read one supporter who basically said yes, he is using NLP, but it's working -- so great!
a
I have no respect for those who lie and manipulate others. Unfortunately, too many people are too willing to be manipulated (and manipulate others) if it suits their own purposes and to hell with everyone else. Too many people are willing to believe their opinions as facts.

This is an excellent post and I'm really glad you wrote it. The more people who learn from this the better. The more people can examine the "truths" they're being told -- and their own conscience -- the better for all of us.

It's odd how I keep on bumping against people here who have such a simplified and distorted picture of NLP, though ATS is one of the most intelligent and diverse boards I have seen. Tony Robbins does not have much to do with what I have known for decades to be NLP. Look up John Grinder and Richard Bandler, Steve and Connirae Andreas instead, or Robert Dilts, Milton Erickson etc. It helps to do some research before pronouncing sharp judgments.
Or look up the term "ecology" in NLP.

I would argue that with the advent of modern linguistics and experimental therapies, NLP or something like that was inevitable. Many technologies can be used for positive or negative goals.

After reading the OP, you could have two basic kinds of reactions. One, you say that the red arrow and the shrinking people are manipulative so you develop more independent thinking and share your knowledge with those that are interested. Or start working for a company like Fox and refine techniques and say, look, a lot of folks have discovered this, let's make this stuff a little less obvious...

Get my drift?
edit on 8/12/2015 by Kokatsi because: Missing pronoun

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I don't know if anyone's noticed how when, what looks like an attractive female avatar, all the guys on ats start being nice and defending the pretty girls opinions.

That happens all the time online. Sure, people that claim to be women on the internet might get more "sexual harassment" but they also get nicer replies with white gloves. In online gaming, women will have 5 x the friends and 5x the help. I've been gaming all my life and have a couple friends, my girlfriend in a single month of playing had 4 times the amount of friends I ever had...

They're this mentality going on where women would be smarter than men but I really don't believe this. A team of men working together works just as well as a team of women working together...but put just one attractive women with the team of men and suddenly, their IQ's drop by 20 points. Where was once only teamwork now there's constantly flavors of competition.

Turning things around, put one attractive men with a team of women...while there's maybe competition in the air and bitching, women won't get IQ drops.

Thinking about sex makes men stupid and empowers women.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I have engaged the fear machine...and ran. Very good post Heff. On second viewing I would say they are prepping people to vote against the incumbent party in the elections.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

That is why we have to have lawyers, judges and courtrooms

Ah...there is your own bias straight away. You think the legal system concerns itself solely with truth and justice rather than...
balance of probabilities,
expert witness's
expert testimony

Do you think the legal system or in fact laws are enacted to assist the poor at the expense of the wealthy?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Talking Heads
"Crosseyed And Painless"

Lost my shape-Trying to act casual!
Can't stop-I might end up in the hospital
I'm changing my shape-I feel like an accident
They're back!-To explain their experience

Isn't it weird/Looks too obscure to me
Wasting away/And that was their policy

I'm ready to leave-I push the fact in front of me
Facts lost-Facts are never what they seem to be
Nothing there!-No information left of any kind
Lifting my head-Looking for danger signs

There was a line/There was a formula
Sharp as a knife/Facts cut a hole in us
There was a line/There was a forula
Sharp as a knife/Facts cut a hole in us

I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...
I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...
The feeling returns/Whenever we close out eyes
Lifting my head/looking around inside

The island of doubt-It's like the taste of medicine
Working by hindsight-Got the message from the oxygen
Making a list-Find the cost of opportunity
Doing it right-Facts are useless in emergencies

The feeling returns/Whenever we close out eyes
Lifting my head/Looking around inside.

Facts are simple and facts are straight
Facts are lazy and facts are late
Facts all come with points of view
Facts don't do what I want them to
Facts just twist the truth around
Facts are living turned inside out
Facts are getting the best of them
Facts are nothing on the face of things
Facts don't stain the furniture
Facts go out and slam the door
Facts are written all over your face
Facts continue to change their shape

I'm still waiting...I'm still waiting...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
Only the article itself is supposedly discussing the exact opposite message. The facts behind the story are diametrically opposed to the visual message being presented. The visuals are deliberately designed to manipulate how the viewer processes the information. In this case the actual fact is that unemployment went down... but the graphic is designed to trick the viewer into processing the information as exactly the opposite... it leaves the casual viewer with the impression that the job situation got worse.

So what's the point of the media giving the conscious mind one message and the unconscious mind the opposite, in regards to unemployment? Who/what gains from this manipulation?

When you take people who are no longer in the workforce under consideration, aka a whopping 93,000,000+ working age people who gave up looking for jobs, then unemployment indeed is rising sharply. It's hovering in the 30-40% range.

So they want the unconscious mind to know the truth...but the conscious mind to know a lie? I don't understand the point (of that one picture example).

To me the graphic just pissed me off cuz it's lying to me at face value.
edit on 8/12/2015 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLegend

In the case of this singular example? It's Fox news and I think we can all agree that Fox currently is in the business of making Democrats / Obama look bad whenever possible. Whether they are morally right or wrong in this mission is irrelevant. Since they are essentially GOPTV, that's their purpose.

So what do they do when the facts don't jibe with their general mission? They toss in graphics like this. Why? Well for a few reasons. In no particular order:

1) Memory is a fickle thing, it prioritizes sensory input hierarchically. This is why most of us are good with faces even if we're bad with names. It's why a simple smell can trigger long dormant and vivid memories. Visuals take precedence in our memories over sound. Dredge up somebody from your distant past... Chances are that you can clearly remember their face but have a hard time mentally recreating their voice or speech.

2) TV can be passive. A lot of people have the TV on always - even if they are otherwise engaged. I know quite a few people who will turn the TV on mute while they are reading, talking on the phone, surfing the Net, ect. These people would not even have the interference of sound if this visual were on their screen... They'd glance and digest just the picture - a picture that seems rather negative. Those people would likely walk away sure that they'd just seen a dismal report on the employment situation.

3) The subconscious is a really powerful thing. If one can manipulate information so that it creates a gut reaction, whether that reaction is based in truth or not, then that reaction sticks. Aversion therapy and some PTSD treatments utilize the subconscious dynamics of aversion to their benefit... And so can advertisers and media. Even if the conscious mind catches the trick, if a subconscious aversion is triggered? Well it's Pavlov's dogs.

As to why any news agency would use these types of tricks? If they have an agenda, to drive it. If ones user base is made up of pie in the sky optimistic and positive people? You give them stories that feed that need. If ones viewership is Republican? You feed them accordingly. You keep them fed so they keep coming back. You are the dealer and the information is the drug.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join