It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Links Taking Selfies with Psychopathy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: kaylaluv

The sagging pants thing has been around for over 20 years, and I thought that was a fad.

I'm glad disco and leisure suits aren't in vogue anymore though, aren't you? And thank God the mullet is pretty much gone too. Remember pet rocks and mood rings? Gone. I remember when Beanie Babies were all the rage. People were spending a hundred dollars for a stupid stuffed toy!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Nothing wrong with self-confidence. If someone has a highly extroverted personality and enjoys taking selfies, or wearing shocking attire, that's their deal, and if I find it distasteful that's my deal, and the world goes on turning. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm the kind of guy that couldn't care less what I wear, as long as it suits a purpose, and taking a picture reminds me of the past, when I'm always trying to imagine the future. Just not my thing. To each their own.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Now that we're talking about ME, here's some pictures of ME being ME, with ME as the subject, and ME taking the shot...who posted these pictures?...I'm glad you asked...ME...

...not narcissistic at all :/

Å99

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: Profusion

I have never taken a selfie - I know what I look like, as do others.

I enjoy taking the piss out of family members that take selfies, I call them names that make them think they are sheep and bimbo, knobhead conformists to glossy-magazine propaganda and the kardashian-factor. That gets their attention.

I have lots of passport photos though for when others require my photo.

Thank you Sublimecraft for posting one of the best posts I have read in a long long time. I laughed like hell and it brought the wife into our office to see what was so humorous. On the other hand your post makes some serious points.
ETA....S&F to the OP
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 12-8-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I've personally over 2 million followers on Facebook and I've never once posted a selfie. Or a picture of myself for that matter.

True story.
edit on 12-8-2015 by michaelmcclen because: grammar....

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I must know a LOT of psychopaths.

In fact, I wonder if social media is creating more sociopaths...?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'd like to see some research into the psychology of the young women who post hundreds of selfies on Instagram so they can get the admiration of their "followers" which are mostly horny young men.

It's a disturbing trend and it's giving people a massively inflated ego.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Social media is great for insecure people. It gives these people a platform to "attention seek".

Take some time today and scroll through your feeds. Look at what people are saying. Ask yourself why they are sharing that information...

Remember: "Social media, we crop out the crap and post the good parts online".

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I'd hit that in a heartbeat....i'm just saying....
Everybody's thinking it.....

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'd like to know if the trend started with the rise of the people like Tila Tequila and the Kardashians and the others like them who more or less become famous for just being famous.

So people put their faces and bodies out there hoping to be the next one to cash in on it.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The media makes the trends and has for a very long time ... generations of people wanted to be like the stars of their time as presented by the papers, radio, movies and then television. Only thing different these days is the web has given everyone and their iPhone endless spam space. They're self proclaimed stars in their own minds and think the world wants to know too. I guess it is a double edged sword so watch what you post kids - it'll be out "there" till the whole machine crash n burns.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This doesn't really make much sense. Narcissism, yes, I can completely understand that, but Psychopathy?

I find it incredibly ironic that just a few months ago (or was it last year) they stated that psychopaths are more likely not to use social networking sites (which I also think doesn't make much sense). Does that claim not conflict with this current claim?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I find it socially revolting to take a picture of oneself in public. I'm not entirely certain why, but the action is repugnant to me.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I've tried it but gave up because they always wind up looking like that

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

you know what's kinda funny about the saggy pants thug thing. they don't know that they originally learned it from people who just got out of the pen. in jail sagging your pants meant you were "available"

so just laugh silently everytime you see some idiot sagging their pants. and to the idiots who do actually sag their pants Your telling your homies and rival thugs youre looking for some sweet dong in your kong.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I saw this video on FB just moments after reading through this thread & I had to make an account so I could share it.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: WeRpeons

you know what's kinda funny about the saggy pants thug thing. they don't know that they originally learned it from people who just got out of the pen. in jail sagging your pants meant you were "available"

so just laugh silently everytime you see some idiot sagging their pants. and to the idiots who do actually sag their pants Your telling your homies and rival thugs youre looking for some sweet dong in your kong.

No...Sagging pants didn't start in the pen. If you weren't around, or part of the era when the fad started you wouldn't understand it. Skinny jeans is slot worse though.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Eye4NeyE

Uh ok. Saggy pants was a fad you got caught up in. You didn't also wear them backwards like cris cross did you? Sagging pants was started in the pen. Kinda like the gangsta way of holding a pistol sideways was started in the pen from observing cops carrying riot shields with a pistol.

I agree with skinny jeans. On a dude they can be pretty unattractive. That being said I know some styles of skinny jeans and pants were started by bikers. Cause loose billowy pant cuffs tend to nestle up with the exhaust pipe on motorcycles and burn. And the fad caught on.
edit on 12-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
I disagree with the study, however ifind selfiesvery irritating. Especially those selfies where the person tilts their head to the side and pouts their lips.

What you don't like girls that look like fish

Selfies are perhaps just like a mirror for narcissistic egocentric superficial people. Mirror/Selfie
Has our whole society become superficial?
WIS

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
i take the occasional selfie but, to the best of my knowledge i'm not a psychopath. can't be too careful!
edit on R2015th2015-08-12T22:19:26-05:0020150pm2234 by RoScoLaz4 because: spelling

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join