It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Links Taking Selfies with Psychopathy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Good they can spend all their time taking pictures of themselves then instead of killing people, destroying the economy, and becoming politicians.

Well puppylove, you do have a valid point....

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It may be indicative of a narcissist to take selfies, but narcissism is only one aspect of psychopathy. I am not sure I agree with their logic. All psychopaths are narcissists, but not all narcissists are psychopaths.

A psychopath lacks any empathy for others while a narcissist lacks empathy only because they are self-absorbed. They may SEEM the same, but they are wired differently.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

What are you talking about! People who take selfies are psychopathic totally self obsorved manipulators! I can't stand people who take selfies!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

They can be horrible, self-absorbed a-holes, but if they are narcissists they can be treated. If they are psychopaths they are never going to become better people...just better liars and better at getting away with their anti-social behavior.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
i grew up in Hollywood around probably the largest demographic of self absorbed insecure narcissists per population. after spending a lifetime around these types I can definitly tell you they are pathological. maybe not dangerous like a psychopath but very pathological.

all Facebook and selfies do is allow a wider demographic to act exactly the same as the people who flock to Hollywood looking to become a star. they are self important. so important that although nobody knows or has heard of them they take pictures every 30 minutes of their lives and upload them publicly hoping somebody will pay attention to them. after all they're special and unique. who wouldn't jump at the chance to see what mundane crap they are doing all day. too bad we cant really tell half the time cause their face is blocking the picture of whatever self important activity they needed to share with the rest of the world they were actually doing.

people that walk around all day uploading selfies of themself onto face book are the literal equivalent of Charlie sheen walking around and saying to total trangers "winning!!!"

you can see to the outside observer that that behaviour is indeed pathalogical.

i once saw a pair of bimbos taking selfies of themselves in the middle of some paramedics trying to get someone loaded onto a stretcher on the sidewalk. just walked right into the middle of the scene and tried to take some cute picture of themselves with the paramedics in the background. the paramedics were rightfully pissed and yelled at them to get away. the girls looked confused and hurt. which is to be expected when you are a pathalogical Individual. but that behaviour is also psychotic behaviour cause the thought never crossed their mind that in their hairbrained attempt to take yet another selfie documenting themselves they were oblivious to the fact they were literally directly interfereing with paramedics trying to save another human beings life so they could take a picture of themselves. that's literally psychopathic behaviour. literally.

also what's up with people uploading shots of stuff they are eating. what's the point other than to try and establish that you are somehow one upping everybody else living the good life and drinking your moca chokes loca frappe Grande with mint creme and cinnamon?
edit on 12-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Kind of sad we needed a study to point this out, seems like common sense no?

If you are obsessed with taking pictures of yourself there is something missing inside of you.

I believe the amount of social media use is a good indicator of someones mental state.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

also what's up with people uploading shots of stuff they are eating. what's the point other than to try and establish that you are somehow one upping everybody else living the good life and drinking your moca chokes loca frappe Grande with mint creme and cinnamon?

Well now, if I were getting ready to share a new recipe I had found and tried, I would likely post a pic of the outcome. I know I have one cousin who prefers to have a photo of what the recipe is supposed to look like at completion. I wouldn't have myself in the shot shoveling it into my face though.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Danke

I believe the amount of social media use is a good indicator of someones mental state.

as we post our verbal selfies here on ATS....crazy huh?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

i understand what you say. and that's not pathalogical. it's sharing a successful recipie attempt. but posting a picture everytime you eat? I've seen people do that. at the Trimana at the building I used to work at I'd see the same girls taking daily pictures of their lunch and uploading them. really you need to share with the world your crappy chicken salad pictures....everyday. your eating at trimana. not some Michelin rated restraunt.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

How is this a verbal selfie?

Maybe if I add to the end of my posts " LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!" you might have a point, or if I had an avatar picture of myself...

Since I don't, this is simply a forum for conversation and debate. If you see it as some type of verbal selfie you might have a problem..

edit on 12-8-2015 by Danke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

That I get. It's the need to share every single moment of your life with the social media network.

It was like when they injected a "social" component into the Sims game as if I wanted to be able to connect with other Sims players and share what my Sims were doing at every minute of their Sims day.

"Yeah, I just sent him to work."
"Yeah, he's training the dog to roll over."
"Oh! He burned his pizza."
"Oooo, he and his wife are woohooing in the shower ..."

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Maybe if I add to the end of my posts " LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!" you might have a point, or if I had an avatar picture of myself...

Since I don't, this is simply a forum for conversation and debate. If you see it as some type of verbal selfie you might have a problem..

I think the mere act of posting your thoughts, emotions, attitudes etc. Is giving verbal clues as to who you are. Just like a photo is in a graphic sense. ATS is a social media site. I'm not condemning it...just an observation. I know some people on ATS better than I know my next door neighbor.

And I do have problems; thanks for your concern.

edit on 12-8-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Seems like the people who refuse to partake in this kind of social activity are the anti social psychopaths.... They may have it backwards.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Maybe if I add to the end of my posts " LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!" you might have a point, Or if I had an avatar picture of myself...

I'm totally nuts, steer clear and me me me.

Why you gotta hate the selfie people what did we do? Look good in a picture?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

There is nothing wrong with being a little crazy

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I post on ATS to try and provide a bit of logic to the world of ignorance we live in. I considerate it an obligation to try and help.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Im so tired of this 'selfie' fad.

You know what? We've been taking 'selfies' 10 years ago.

You know what we called them? A freakin' picture with me and my friend in it.

We've taken selfies for a looong time, and it was only until older people heard the word 'selfie' that it took overhand.

Its just like when people whine about Kardarshians, just turn your damn head away from it, them they will slowly dissapere.

But none of it will be forgotten, because you all keep talling about it, wether you like it or not.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I'm getting real tired of my fellow human beings.

When will people become human again?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The sagging pants thing has been around for over 20 years, and I thought that was a fad.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Want to add this from the article:

She adds that the research applies to women and that women who post more selfies also show higher levels of narcissism and psychopathy. She describes it as self-objectification.

“[Selfies] may make people objectify themselves even more,” Fox said.

In a 2013 article posted on Psychology Today, Dr. Peggy Drexler said, “It’s like looking in the mirror all day long, and letting others see you do it.” She adds that this can have serious implications and adversely affect your relationships.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

So the research applies to woman too. And it seems they haven't figured out whether taking selfies causes you to be more narcissistic/psychopathic or people who do it are naturally that way. This is why Dr. Fox says "Selfies may make people objectify themselves even more."

Also want to make a further distinction. I used to think "anti-social traits" meant shy people or people who were clumsy with words. But what it actually means is different. It's more tied to disregard for others. A sociopath or person suffering from anti-social personality disorder can intermingle very well and even be charming. The divide is in the fact they often lack empathy and impulse control and tend to commit crime more frequently. So their charm and chumminess is a facade.

The studies about selfies find links to narcissistic personality disorder and psychopathy, or otherwise known as anti-social personality disorder in the DSM IV. All of these seem very self-oriented to me.
en.wikipedia.org - Narcissistic personality disorder...

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and others. It is a cluster B personality disorder.

psychcentral.com - Antisocial Personality Disorder Symptoms...
en.wikipedia.org - Antisocial personality disorder...

Antisocial personality disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of a disregard for other people’s rights, often crossing the line and violating those rights. It usually begins in childhood or as a teen and continues into their adult lives.

Individuals with Antisocial Personality Disorder frequently lack empathy and tend to be callous, cynical, and contemptuous of the feelings, rights, and sufferings of others. They may have an inflated and arrogant self-appraisal (e.g., feel that ordinary work is beneath them or lack a realistic concern about their current problems or their future) and may be excessively opinionated, self-assured, or cocky. They may display a glib, superficial charm and can be quite voluble and verbally facile (e.g., using technical terms or jargon that might impress someone who is unfamiliar with the topic).

en.wikipedia.org - PCL-R...

Among laypersons and professionals, there is much confusion about the meanings and differences between psychopathy, sociopathy, antisocial personality disorder, and the ICD-10 diagnosis, dissocial personality disorder. Hare takes the stance that psychopathy as a syndrome should be considered distinct from the DSM-IV's antisocial personality disorder construct,[31] even though ASPD and psychopathy were intended to be equivalent in the DSM-IV. However, those who created the DSM-IV felt that there was too much room for subjectivity on the part of clinicians when identifying things like remorse and guilt; therefore, the DSM-IV panel decided to stick to observable behavior, namely socially deviant behaviors.

As a result, the diagnosis of ASPD is something that the "majority of criminals easily meet".[32] Hare goes further to say that the percentage of incarcerated criminals that meet the requirements of ASPD is somewhere between 80 and 85 percent, whereas only about 20% of these criminals would qualify for a diagnosis of what Hare's scale considers to be a psychopath.[33] This twenty percent, according to Hare, accounts for 50 percent of all the most serious crimes committed, including half of all serial and repeat rapists.

edit on 12-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Maybe if I add to the end of my posts " LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!" you might have a point, Or if I had an avatar picture of myself...

I'm totally nuts, steer clear and me me me.

Why you gotta hate the selfie people what did we do? Look good in a picture?

It's kind of nice to know what people look like on forums like this or even on Facebook; that is part of socializing. I don't know if a few second snapshot is any more narcissistic than spending however many hours crafting an avatar. I think it takes a certain amount of courage to post a pic of yourself on social media and wanting to put your best face, or even just a presentable face, forward is not a sign of narcissism.

Maybe taking and posting pictures constantly is a potential sign of a narcissistic personality trait, but a selfie so people know what you look like...? Not so much. All things in moderation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join