It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Links Taking Selfies with Psychopathy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Researchers from Ohio University found that people (and men in particular) who post numerous selfies and spend a lot of time editing them, are of course, more likely to be narcissistic. But what they also found is that these people are also probably psychopaths. The lead author of the study noted “The more interesting finding is that they also score higher on this other anti-social personality trait, psychopathy, and are more prone to self-objectification.”
Link to article

Should parents add this to the "birds and the bees" discussion in the 21st century and beyond? So many more things to consider these days.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I have never taken a selfie - I know what I look like, as do others.

I enjoy taking the piss out of family members that take selfies, I call them names that make them think they are sheep and bimbo, knobhead conformists to glossy-magazine propaganda and the kardashian-factor. That gets their attention.

I have lots of passport photos though for when others require my photo.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Fortunately my 13 year old thinks it is all very false. He doesn't have a FB account, nor do I.

All these selfies just make me think that the individuals can't have been having such a brilliant time because whilst doing an awful lot of posing & posting, they can't really have been in the moment?

I think it is bound to have an affect in time as some young people often measure themselves from the number of 'likes' they receive. Obviously it works in the other direction. We could have a new generation with some serious self esteem issues, compliments of the 'selfie'.

Some people are existing 'virtually'.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I don't understand the whole selfie thing. I never took a selfie and don't find taking a picture of myself exciting, lol. It just reminds me of someone who is very conceited and self absorbed. I also don't understand the interests in tattoos, piercings and the sagging pants thing.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

The lead author of the study noted “The more interesting finding is that they also score higher on this other anti-social personality trait, psychopathy, and are more prone to self-objectification.
Link to article

Ya think??

They actually had to spend money on a study?

I need to shower after finding that pic......

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Good they can spend all their time taking pictures of themselves then instead of killing people, destroying the economy, and becoming politicians.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
It's certainly a huge social development quake we've gone through. Selfies, facebook and other self promoting sites, all there to advertise the self to the wider world. The problem is, the identity promoted never fits the true personality or life of the person. It's mostly an over exaggerated, fictitious fantasy based on how they want to be. From friends listed who aren't really friends to exaggerated things they have done, it all seems like we are photoshopping our identities.

Maybe I'm just a boring old fert.

edit on 12-8-2015 by ProleUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Should parents add this to the "birds and the bees" discussion in the 21st century and beyond? So many more things to consider these days.

No use. The parents are taking selfies too.

I just laugh at idiots that take selfies and post them online or with snapchat.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Hi, my name is Klassified, and I am a selfieholic. I have been clean for...

Personally, I don't do selfies. I don't like having my picture taken at all, but I really don't see the big deal. Let people have their fun, distraction, and self-indulgences. There are much worse "psychopathic" and narcissistic behaviors than self-objectification. I know a few people who are selfie junkies(imo), and other than that, they're good folks.

Psychology has come a long way from its roots, but I think it still has a ways to go as a science.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Do dick pics count? Just kidding. There's gotta be a bimbo scale for sending nudes to random people online as well. The ones who do that aren't generally all too bright, unless they have a knack for recreating their selves in ongoing online persona's, hopping around as they get caught. That leads back into the narcissist/psychopath bit.

I think we may have to come up with new scales as the tech evolves, and remove some as well. I mean to sufficiently adapt we'll be doing things next generation that are looked down on as extreme right now. Some of this stuff is silly, and some of it gives us clues into other people's psychological makeup, but I mean how we feel about these things will certainly change over time.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It's a fad. It will pass.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

that's what they said about rap "music".

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Damn, I'm #ed. Why you gotta expose me like this?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I disagree with the study, however ifind selfiesvery irritating. Especially those selfies where the person tilts their head to the side and pouts their lips.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I love The Simpsons and South Park because they make scathing, yet spot-on observations about these social issues.
George Carlin had a fantastic bit on the subject. Jim Gaffigan's bit is also great:

Not just selfies, but the whole photo-insanity subject:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
It's one thing to snap a quick pic to express the sentiment of "Hi! Wish you were here." It's another thing to try to shamelessly self-promote by taking endless pics of yourself done up like some kind of model.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
It's one thing to snap a quick pic to express the sentiment of "Hi! Wish you were here." It's another thing to try to shamelessly self-promote by taking endless pics of yourself done up like some kind of model.

I believe both instances are signs of narcissism, or a sign that they have become caught up in the latest fad and lack free-thought.

One could easy convey the message "Hi! Wish you were here." through text or, god forbid, actual speech.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Whenever we go on vacation, we take some pictures to remember the occasion by. The only difference is that these days, you can instantly send some of those pictures to friends and relatives rather than waiting to show them off at the family gathering after you get home.

Both still happen of course, but the sentiment is the same. The picture with the message that lets your friends and family know you are having safe and happy travels.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Nothing captures the current sickness of our culture, quite like the selfie. We have an entire generation of kids and adults who feel compelled to document every moment of their day, and display it for all to see in the hopes that they can validate their lives in the eyes of their peers.

The sickness in our culture is the crushing loneliness and alienation that causes people to try and validate their life thru selfies, facebook and posting on other websites. A post is just a verbal selfie...

edit on 12-8-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
i find it really interesting [also extraordinarily sad and heartily disappointing] that the overwhelming majority view on this phenomenon is not only to scorn and deride and mock anyone taking part, but also to act like this somehow makes those taking part in the villification superior to those poor brainless selfie morons...
seriously, all fronting like it's such an edgy opinion to make fun of the kids - like your own parents didn't do the same to you, ad infinitum, vomit.
Personally, i take a steady stream of selfies and so do many of my friends. We share them around, we laugh at our exploits together, we have literal visual diaries of our lives for years to look back on. I feel that not a single one of us has lost any of our mental acuity. We're just exploring a relatively new social phase space.
Lately, i've been performing a fun little social experiment - instead of being ashamed of my clear denounced psychopathy [how dare i think my outfit is cute! self confidence is forbidden!], i've been making damn sure to be as open as possible about it. I do it in the most public places, as visibly as i can. I make sure it shows that i'm enjoying myself and feeling good about it.
And you know, it's odd, but there's a certain sort of person who always sneers or derides audibly. I can generally pick them before i even take my phone out. It's strange, they never look happy.
Shall i apply my selfie-diluted intelligence to the matter and attempt to figure out a link?
bah. putting other people down isn't going to suddenly make your life fulfilling.
try doing something good for yourself, for once.
edit on 12-8-2015 by continuousThunder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join