It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange but true, during WW I, a South African monkey was promoted to corporal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
So have you ever heard the story of Jackie the baboon, who became a soldier doing ww1?

He was discovered on a farm in South Africa by it’s owner Albert Marr just before WWI. They became great friends and when Albert Marr joined the 3rd South African Infantry Regiment he took ‘Jackie’ along.

The friendly & highly intelligent monkey became a great favourite with the other soldiers & was made the regimental mascot & was issued with rations, a uniform & a pay book !!!

So the monkey became the mascot of the regiment, learned to salute passing officers, and even got paid

Private ‘Jackie’ became an excellent gaurd, warning his regiment whenever the enemy came near. In 1916 Marr was wounded in battle & the loyal ‘Jackie’ stayed by his side licking the wound until the medical team could get to him.

Both Privates were injured in Belgium in 1918 when a heavy shell exploded near ‘Jackie’ damaging his right leg. He was tenderly carried to the medical station by a weeping corporal who begged the doctor to do something for him.

‘Jackie’ was given chloroform & his right leg was amputated. He made a complete recovery & just before Armistice he was promoted to the rank of corporal & given a medal for bravery – surely the only monkey in history to do so !!!

He was given a full discharge from the army at the end of the war & returned to his master’s farm where he lived until 1921.

Wounded in battle, he was given a medal for bravery and promoted to Corporal!
I think it is a shame, and cruel, when humans use animals for our own sinister purposes, but i find this story fascinating, and wanted to share it with you guys - I wanted to upload a picture of Jackie, but cant figure out how this work, but there is pictures of him in the source

Source
edit on 12 8 2015 by NoFearsEqualsFreeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan
A monkey was hanged as a spy in England during the 1st ww. In the north east I think. I cant recall the story but will try to find a link and post it.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
There you go .

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: chewi
A monkey was hanged as a spy in England during the 1st ww. In the north east I think. I cant recall the story but will try to find a link and post it.

What a crazy world!

I dont get why they would hang it, thats a bit cruel, but war times dont bring about the best behavior in humans and it was properly done to send a message to the enemy who trained the monkey to do whatever it did - thanks for sharing

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Thank you very much

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: chewi

No that was during the Napoleonic wars a couple of Chimps washed ashore and the locals thought they were French.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: chewi

No that was during the Napoleonic wars a couple of Chimps washed ashore and the locals thought they were French.

I just did a quick search

Everyone in the North-East of England knows that during the Napoleonic wars the good burghers of Hartlepool, having found a shipwrecked monkey washed up on the beach, thought it was a French spy, and (after a fair trial) hanged it (from a convenient yard-arm).

There is no evidence of any truth in the legend, or that it is very old. The first mention of the Monkey is in the mid 19th Century, when Ned Corvan, a famous Geordie comic singer and songwriter, first performed the 'Monkey Song'.

Source

It apparently got a "fair trial", but its properly just a myth, but wouldnt be suprised if its true either

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

What a coincidence.

Same time an Austrian monkey was promoted also to corporal. And later after the war, Germans promoted it to their Fuhrer.

Funny little world it is...
edit on 12-8-2015 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2015 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Oddly enough my Grandad Monkey (yes thats what he was known by) brought back a Chimp after his national service and My Nan divorced him not long after..
The fate of that Chimp
edit on 12-8-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Ours became a prime minister.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Hartlepool as it happens, thats why they are called the "monkey hangers" to this day. LOL, i don't classify Hartlepool as North East, being a Geordie born in Byker (and no, Byker Grove was filmed in Scotswood), Hartlepool is North and East yes, but not the North East
edit on 2015-08-12T07:20:37-05:002015Wed, 12 Aug 2015 07:20:37 -0500bWednesday2008America/Chicago157 by corblimeyguvnor because: typo

edit on 2015-08-12T07:24:00-05:002015Wed, 12 Aug 2015 07:24:00 -0500bWednesday2408America/Chicago157 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

What a coincidence.

Same time an Austrian monkey was promoted also to corporal. And later after the war, Germans promoted it to their Fuhrer.

Is it me or ......... does Angela look like Adolf without the tash?

Strangely enough on a conspiracy site, i can't insert a picture of the current German Chancellor, go figure
edit on 2015-08-12T07:33:57-05:002015Wed, 12 Aug 2015 07:33:57 -0500bWednesday3308America/Chicago157 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

What a coincidence.

Apparently your right

Here he is getting ready for one of his famous speeches:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Ours became a prime minister.

Seems to be lots of monkeys in politics these days

This monkey business goes way deeper than i thought

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

What a coincidence.

Strangely enough on a conspiracy site, i can't insert a picture of the current German Chancellor, go figure

Here you go, i finally figured out how to insert pictures

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

What a coincidence.

Thats deffo her/him

Here you go, i finally figured out how to insert pictures

Try again, whats up with Chrome these days? thats deffo her or him
edit on 2015-08-12T08:18:14-05:002015Wed, 12 Aug 2015 08:18:14 -0500bWednesday1808America/Chicago158 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Damn, you monkey! I just shot Coke out of my nose!

Baboon gets a medal, big whoop... Did you tell them about the time you got the American Medal of Honor for single-handedly defeating Saddam Hussein and his Al Quada terrorist group as a personal favor to GW Bush? Or that he made you Commander of the Elite Monkey Brigade, where armed with spears alone you freed the people of Cuba and Puerto Rico from tyranny. All while being "just a Monkey" and not even American!

new topics

top topics

join