It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's Destruction of Banned Western Food Sparks Outrage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   

MOSCOW—The Russian government is moving ahead with the mass destruction of Western food imports banned under sanctions imposed by the Kremlin over the standoff in Ukraine.

Over the past few days, state media have broadcast images of bulldozers running over rounds of cheese, workers incinerating boxes of frozen bacon, and assurances from officials that the measure is necessary for public safety.

Andrei Palchikov, an agricultural official in charge of overseeing the program in Russia's Belgorod region, was quoted saying the goods posed a "danger."

Russia's Destruction of Banned Western Food Sparks Outrage

Tonnes of food that could have gone to those less fortunate, dumped, wasted, all for the sake of politics. How can they do this? How many Russians are starving out there? Or by the least they could have just given the food away to some people in great need in Africa and Asia. If you want to make a political statement, fine, but this is just plain wrong. Putin could have maybe said "we want nothing to do with this american food! We're going to give it to somebody else" and that would have made an equal political point. What the hell does this man thing his achieving in all this?? He's making himself look more and more like a spoiled child.

As if food waste in general isn't bad enough, what's being done on a national scale in Russia is disgusting. It's food for goodness sakes.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

The least they could do is give it to people who don't have enough food. I'm sure the people who need it would take it. It would look better for Russia to give it away than to destroy it!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Well, as a past supporter of *some* of Russia's policies and their efforts to protect Crimea, let me say that wastefully burning the bacon is no way to win support or retain the good will of anyone, Mr. Putin.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Cold wars are golden plum trees for war corporations. I would say things are looking very up for the likes of Halliburton, Lockheed Martin, and of course all of the political players who are employed by them. Well played everybody!

edit on 12-8-2015 by CraftBuilder because: I have a mopy cat painting staring at me from the bathroom.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I had mixed feelings about the culling ordered by our government of huge herds of cattle a while back, especially when it was reported that the cullings weren't necessary except to keep up the top end of the beef market.
Any form of destruction of edible food makes me mad as it usually protects only the ones at the top, never the workers or poor.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
While I acknowledge that this is all very dramatic and a politically motivated symbolic gesture, as a retaliation against the EU and the US to sanctions placed on the country and a decision made over a year ago, I can't agree that they don't have a point in some regards and wonder how much of this is being lost in the translation.

There are places I won't eat food from either, particularly food that is unlabeled or of questionable origin or brought into the country illegally. There's also a lot of so-called food that would be better off destroyed everywhere, GMO, cloned, medicated, and chock full of hormones or fillers, or better yet, not produced at all in the first place.

And though starvation and desperation is no picnic, feeding junk food to the poor instead of destroying it is saying exactly what? That the poor don't deserve good, nutritious and safe food like everyone else does?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Perhaps what is not said is that it contained GMO and was only protecting their people.

Why would something this minor; be so important to the western media anyway? Is there nothing more interesting than that??

Sounds like a anti Russian propaganda piece to me.

Nothing to see here; move on.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
While I acknowledge that this is all very dramatic and a politically motivated symbolic gesture, as a retaliation against the EU and the US to sanctions placed on the country and a decision made over a year ago, I can't agree that they don't have a point in some regards and wonder how much of this is being lost in the translation.

There are places I won't eat food from either, particularly food that is unlabeled or of questionable origin or brought into the country illegally. There's also a lot of so-called food that would be better off destroyed everywhere, GMO, cloned, medicated, and chock full of hormones or fillers, or better yet, not produced at all in the first place.

And though starvation and desperation is no picnic, feeding junk food to the poor instead of destroying it is saying exactly what? That the poor don't deserve good, nutritious and safe food like everyone else does?
so what your saying is.let them starve to death because the food is not nutritious. I'm sure all the starving people would fully agree with you.moron

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

The exact same think happens in the west everyday, we throw away so much food i cant believe it! But we cant just give it away for free, cause then nobody would buy, right!

So yeah, it is crazy! But it is only used as proganda against Russia, even though we are no better than them ourself..
I think we have to clean our own backyard first, before we begin complaining about what others do

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
So Russia bought USA food then decided to destroy it as a political statement? No wonder the Russian economy is so good...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
If I remember the British government give a massive amount of ready to eat meals to the US to help with feeding the victims of Katrina. The US destroyed the lot because of fear of "mad cow" even though most of them had no cow meat in them. The US did not want it to be seen that they could not feed there own people.
edit on 12-8-2015 by imod02 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
you see the effects of sanctions that do'nt work at both sides
the sanctions that the EU put on Russia cost us yearly 100 billjon euro's....
for only an political matter :-(

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
In our news this was discussed last week ( Finland) , the problem is not only bunch of food being destroyed it also involves people who go abroad to buy food to bring back in Russia, everything is destroyed. Many of those people buy food products abroad because Russia lack lactose free and glutein free products, so many are shopping them for their health sake.
Putin also is going to ban condoms which are produced outside Russia. Russian condoms, maybe not so good (are there any ?? ), they believe western condoms is reason why HIV etc sexually transmitted diseases are spreading in Russia and without western condoms people are going to be more careful with sex even avoid "sexual freedom".

Yet it not only food and not food and condoms, Putin´s sanctions include pharma products produced outside Russia, many people in Russia do not have the medical care they need cos of these sanctions. Last year when Putin launched pharma sanctions, his excuse was that it will benefit Russian pharma products, but seems it isn´t sufficient and regardless the lack of medicine, sanctions are getting even more strict.

Makes you think.. are we looking at a new Dictator? Something about his actions towards his own people, the downgrading standard of living makes no sense.. Why people need to be sick and their lives miserable.. Something sinister IMHO.
edit on 12-8-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

WHAT?????! Is there something wrong with you? How could any sane person think there is anything to defend or support about the illegal invasion of a foreign country and then annexing part of it. That is what the NAZIS done did you support 'some' of their policies as well?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Russian grocery prices have already increased 20%. Does Putin really think this symbolic act is better for his people than actually addressing the fact that more and more of their paychecks are going towards making sure they have enough food to keep their families alive?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Boy that will sure teach the west a lesson!
I'm not sure what it could possibly be but whatever...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: InFriNiTee

The least they could do is give it to people who don't have enough food. I'm sure the people who need it would take it. It would look better for Russia to give it away than to destroy it!

Yes, that would have been the right thing to do.

Some 795 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy active life. That's about one in nine people on earth.

www.wfp.org...

Every 15 seconds a child dies of hunger, says a campaign by charities urging G8 leaders to pledge more aid for the world's poorest families - or every 10 seconds, according to the latest version of the slogan.

www.bbc.com...

One in every eight people goes to bed hungry each night.

Around the world, 842 million people do not have enough of the food they need to live an active, healthy life.

People suffering from chronic hunger are plagued with recurring illness, developmental disabilities and low productivity. They are often forced to use all their limited physical and financial resources just to put food on the table.

www.mercycorps.org...

And many more...

I'm not surprised with what Putin and Russia is doing. 80 years communism has rotted in this people minds so bad that 25 years after the fall of the system still that mentality runs wild. In communist countries a human being and a human life counts $it.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Telos

originally posted by: InFriNiTee

Yes, that would have been the right thing to do.

Some 795 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy active life. That's about one in nine people on earth.

www.wfp.org...

Every 15 seconds a child dies of hunger, says a campaign by charities urging G8 leaders to pledge more aid for the world's poorest families - or every 10 seconds, according to the latest version of the slogan.

www.bbc.com...

One in every eight people goes to bed hungry each night.

Around the world, 842 million people do not have enough of the food they need to live an active, healthy life.

People suffering from chronic hunger are plagued with recurring illness, developmental disabilities and low productivity. They are often forced to use all their limited physical and financial resources just to put food on the table.

www.mercycorps.org...

And many more...

I'm not surprised with what Putin and Russia is doing. 80 years communism has rotted in this people minds so bad that 25 years after the fall of the system still that mentality runs wild. In communist countries a human being and a human life counts $it.

Same thing goes for capitalist countries, unless you got a lot of money ofcourse, then your a god...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

In 2012, the most recent year for which estimates are available, Americans threw out roughly 35 million tons of food, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

This country is one of the worst offenders: a 2012 paper by the Natural Resources Defense Council estimated that as much as 40 percent of America's food supply ends up in a dumpster.

Food waste

....just to put things in perspective.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Russia has so much stuff coming and out on the black market that what they are destroying is likely a drop in bucket of now illegal foods. And some people seem confused between food waste, a problem in all food producing societies, and food being destroyed for propaganda purposes. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join