It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question on Already a Thread Discussing This

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I have a question on posting a topic when there is already a thread posted in another forum.

Example: I posted a New Topic in "Other Current Events". The thread was locked almost immediately, citing that it was already being discussed elsewhere (in "Fragile Earth").

OK fine. I had done a search on 4 terms in my title beforehand, tho.

A little over an hour later, the same topic reappears in ATSNN NEWS. No locked thread; it is allowed to live.

Now I don't want to take away from any author, but I just want to know why my thread was locked and another, practically identical thread is allowed to be spawned over an hour later.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Because, for the last year now, the standard rule is that 1 ATS post and 1 ATSNN news story can be posted on the same topic.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Banshee is right, but to clarify... We can indeed have duplicate discussions in ATS forums and on ATSNN, primarily because of the all-important first post in the ATSNN thread -- this appears on the ATSNN.com page as the story snippet. Generally, if a topic begins as an ATSNN story, we try to discourage additional threads on the same topic in the ATS forums. However, if a topic exists in the ATS forums, it's possible to repeat that topic on ATSNN through a well-written news submission -- so that the topic can appear on ATSNN. I hope that helps.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Banshee is right, but to clarify...

We can indeed have duplicate discussions in ATS forums and on ATSNN, primarily because of the all-important first post in the ATSNN thread -- this appears on the ATSNN.com page as the story snippet.

Generally, if a topic begins as an ATSNN story, we try to discourage additional threads on the same topic in the ATS forums. However, if a topic exists in the ATS forums, it's possible to repeat that topic on ATSNN through a well-written news submission -- so that the topic can appear on ATSNN.

I hope that helps.

Why not give the initiator a short window of opportunity to develop their topic and story into an ATSNN submission, where the post first appears on a forum? One U2U, 3-4 hours, could give the member a more positive vibe.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
My thoughts also, MA.

Thanks to all for clarifying.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar Why not give the initiator a short window of opportunity to develop their topic and story into an ATSNN submission, where the post first appears on a forum? One U2U, 3-4 hours, could give the member a more positive vibe.
I suppose if we had a full-time staff dedicated to paying attention to the hundreds of new topics every day, and cross-checking with breaking news, this might be possible (not plausible). Unfortunately, the volunteer staff we have end up being preoccupied with other less exciting tasks.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
an evil evil evil ..... bump

am i a bad ATSer?

some mornings, i just don't know.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

I forgive ya

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
If you are going to do an evil bump you should at least cite why it happened.

Thread about threads that already exist (This one is from the future though 2004ers!

-m0r

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

thank you, you are still on my friends list.

in your defense, this thread may be a little bit outdated ....

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Since this has turned into ChitChat.

Closed.

top topics

join