It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendy’s To Switch To Self Ordering And Automation To Avoid $15/hr Wage hike

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: Mugly

You could raise minimum wage to $10 / hour instead. At any rate, raising the minimum wage saves the government and taxpayers money because these people will be able to afford getting off food stamps and other government assistance. They will also have more money to spend on businesses, helping the economy.

in a perfect world, yes.
and of course there are lots of workers out there that want to earn their way through and not be on the dole.
make no mistake about it though. there are just as many that do not want to work or work as little as they possibly can.

some people have no problems working their 25 hours at an entry level spot with no OT and no real room for advancement cause that also qualifies them for snap and other benefits.

all these guys i mention walking off the job after a week. why do that?
its hard of course but people do it and if you show up and do the work you get into better positions.

some people dont like the idea of working 50 hours a week or even 60.
i was not one that had that luxury of the choice.
when i was starting out there i was on the paint line and i worked a lot of 60 hour weeks. i had a wife and then she got pregnant and i had to take care of my #.
i dug in and did the entry level stuff. i bid on jobs and got the spot. they put me in classes and i did better yet.

i really think that out of all the people that are 'stuck' in entry level jobs with low end pay, there are an equal amount that are there by choice or by work ethic.
i dont feel bad for those people

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm not sure about this.

I work in a country with an awful lot of property development, and some developers here are looking into robots to fabricate materials and even complete on-site construction. Our super markets are now mostly all automated. We're starting to use drones to spot sharks and carry small payloads as couriers on big project sites.

I don't think it's anything to do with your minimum wage, Americans. Businesses gonna do business. They also know from the automative and other industries what other people think of robots so they says

The minimum wage made us do it lolz, this is what happens when the proletariat has a cry!

Maybe I'm wrong ... it's just this is happening in most countries I know.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: Aleister

Heartwarming.

What's the name of the government program?

I don't know, just know the details I posted. It's not only Wendy's that gets this deal, I know BurgerKing had it as well, so it must be fairly universal to the fast food industry.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

i dont want to be served by someone who cares. i want to be served by someone(or some machine) that gets it correct. that is far more important

Far more important.
Getting it correct is a fairly rare occurrence with fast food orders, in my experience.

I love this line.

These idiots don't deserve to get paid more an hour.

They can't even get the order right.

We'll pay them better and the job will attract people who can provide you with a better device then DUH

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: notmyrealname

Wow, I can't believe you'd label and entire segment of our population with a brush so broad.

And some conservatives have asked me why they are labeled as uncaring, cut throat and greedy?

Firstly there are about 3.5 million people that work in fast food within the USA, of those I would say that many are not thinking of making fast food labor their career choice. Your feigned indignation is a typical attempt to play on the heartstrings of others. I worked fast food when I was younger and know the job; I also quickly found more skilled gainful employment and moved on.

What are you advocating? Are you saying that as a society we need to embrace non-skilled labor as a potential career choice for adults in the USA? Would you be proud to say that you work at a counter taking orders or flipping burgers as a career? Do not take what I said out of context unless of course your ideas of how this country should be include giving a trophy to all the participants to assuage potential hard feelings.

Secondly, I am not as you would label me, a conservative. I would not fit into any of your preconceived labels for a simple to understand society. I have opinions based upon life experiences which I consider rather extensive and diverse. I do not deride your self imposed labels of 'liberal' or otherwise however do take offense at being labeled.

Also, see my solution for the problem which would work and is better as a proposal than anything you mudslingers have failed to propose:

Low Wage Solution
edit on 11-8-2015 by notmyrealname because: additional info.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

some people have no problems working their 25 hours at an entry level spot with no OT and no real room for advancement cause that also qualifies them for snap and other benefits.

Can you show any examples of how this works, what snap benefits are available for those that work 25 hrs that would be lost by working 40? Please include information on how much wages or the amount of hours that cause the cut off of benefits . thanks!

all these guys i mention walking off the job after a week. why do that? its hard of course but people do it and if you show up and do the work you get into better positions.

I thought on this and will say, that when searching for work you put in a lot of applications and a go getter will take the first job that comes along. If another employer calls with a better offer they move on of course.

i really think that out of all the people that are 'stuck' in entry level jobs with low end pay, there are an equal amount that are there by choice or by work ethic.

I wonder how many of the workers that stick with burger flipping are loyal to their employer and their fellow workers, how many are afraid to walk away from the job they have to start a new job?

I will add there are worthless people, of that I have no doubts. I've seen many slow men that were laid off their first week on the job. By slow I mean by the end of the day they just did not do a days work, they just never hustle and screw up everything they get near. I doubt a manager at Wendy's or any other FF place would keep them on, there are lots of workers to choose from.

The other day I posted about some bank tellers that got a raise to $15 an hour, two commenter's said they could agree that bank tellers should get $15 but not burger flippers. I found this quite interesting both make change and as I see little or no danger of being hurt on the job for bank tellers, burger flippers working around the grills, deep fryer and heat lamps get injured all the time.

Adolescents working in the restaurant industry in general were at six times greater risk of sustaining a work-related burn injury than teens working in any other industry, the study found. Overall, during the period studied, emergency departments treated an estimated 108,000 work related injuries to teens in all industries.

source

I just don't get why everyone hates fast food workers, I do understand that the corporations want cheap labor.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I would agree or try to make a funny statement however the ever growing PC crowd would say that I was a misogynist or insensitive so I must put my best PC face on and say:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Trump will fix this. He will bring back the manufacturing jobs from China so that people without college can earn a livable wage. Then fast food can go back to hiring school kids for a lower wage... how it was meant to be.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
I don't know, just know the details I posted. It's not only Wendy's that gets this deal, I know BurgerKing had it as well, so it must be fairly universal to the fast food industry.

My guess is that it's done through the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. They have programs to bring the disabled to work where they pay wages and the person with a disability works for the company.

Most likely the person also qualifies for subminimum wage laws and could legally be getting paid as little as 10 cents per hour, also if the person is getting disability they're essentially paying a 70% tax rate on anything they make.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Wendy's has good burgers I`ll buy them, I don`t care if it`s a an 18 year without 2 functioning brain cells or a bot serving and cooking them.I don`t have the luxury to be worried about who or what cooks my burger that I`m going crap out in 6 hours. it`s just a burger that probably contains less than %10 meat so I don`t care who or what cooks it and serves it, it`s gonna be crapped out down the toilet in 6 hours.
edit on 11-8-2015 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

Can you show any examples of how this works, what snap benefits are available for those that work 25 hrs that would be lost by working 40? Please include information on how much wages or the amount of hours that cause the cut off of benefits . thanks!
i dont have examples or links. not hard to figure out though. you make more and you get less benefits. a 25 hour check might get you x amount in snap while a 40 hour gets you less. again, just going by what i have seen and been through myself. when i was on comp way back when i was paid a percentage of my wage. that drop in wage allowed me to get snap though it was a very small amount. when i went back to work and my wages went up, snap was no longer available. i dont know what else to say

all these guys i mention walking off the job after a week. why do that? its hard of course but people do it and if you show up and do the work you get into better positions.

I thought on this and will say, that when searching for work you put in a lot of applications and a go getter will take the first job that comes along. If another employer calls with a better offer they move on of course.

you go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt if you want but i know what i see. i see a group of 10 guys start on a monday and by wednesday or thursday only 3 are left. you telling me the other 7 got better offers in those 2 days? what about the guy that is there less than a week and goes to the bathroom and never comes back? he just takes off.
those are examples of things i have seen first hand so please save the 'they got another job crap. these people did not want to do the work. for whatever reason. my point is they had a decent paying job that they walked away from. the job would have paid more in a very short time had they made it through their 90.

I wonder how many of the workers that stick with burger flipping are loyal to their employer and their fellow workers, how many are afraid to walk away from the job they have to start a new job?

I will add there are worthless people, of that I have no doubts. I've seen many slow men that were laid off their first week on the job. By slow I mean by the end of the day they just did not do a days work, they just never hustle and screw up everything they get near. I doubt a manager at Wendy's or any other FF place would keep them on, there are lots of workers to choose from.

The other day I posted about some bank tellers that got a raise to $15 an hour, two commenter's said they could agree that bank tellers should get $15 but not burger flippers. I found this quite interesting both make change and as I see little or no danger of being hurt on the job for bank tellers, burger flippers working around the grills, deep fryer and heat lamps get injured all the time.

Adolescents working in the restaurant industry in general were at six times greater risk of sustaining a work-related burn injury than teens working in any other industry, the study found. Overall, during the period studied, emergency departments treated an estimated 108,000 work related injuries to teens in all industries.

source

I just don't get why everyone hates fast food workers, I do understand that the corporations want cheap labor.

i dont hate them. i am just honest about what i see. i am honest about what i feel the job should pay.
i dont think the jobis worth 15 an hour and they get simple # wrong a lot. that is not hating. that is truth telling
edit on 12-8-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

i say start them all at minimum and the ones that show they can do it without messing up(among other things) should get raises to bring them up around the 10-11 mark.
my opinion

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I just wanted to say that Wendy's claim that there is competition for labor amongst restaurants is BS. The last time a restaurant opened in my area, they got almost 500 applications. I live in a small town of about 6,000 people. Everyone I talk to, tell me it's like this where they live - big cities, small towns, it doesn't matter. People are crawling over each other to get jobs. Sure there is competition for labor - for people looking for work. Not for businesses. I guarantee you ANY Wendy's in the US could have it's pick of workers if they just put a sign in the window saying "now hiring".

All this proves is that rich people lie through their teeth. They just don't want to admit that they are getting rid of workers to pad their profit margins. That's it and nothing else.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Always good to know this info, and ahead of time.
Good for us to know we'll just drive by Wendy's.

Boycott. Make sure you let them know why you're not buying from them anymore.
Whomever it is.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

They just don't want to admit that they are getting rid of workers to pad their profit margins. That's it and nothing else.

That's the reality of it. Denial runs deep.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Is anyone protesting robots building cars?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Anyone remember the good ol' days when service actually meant... service ?

- Pulling up to a gas station, someone would pump your gas while someone else was checking your oil and washing your windows.

- Drive-thru meant waitresses on roller skates coming up to your car to take your order.

- Grocery stores had one person ringing up your items and another person bagging your groceries, stockers were in the aisles stocking shelves continuously and stamping price stickers on each and every individual item.

- Retail stores had several employees working in each department ready and able to give you a helping hand without you needing to wander through the entire store for an hour trying to find someone with a heartbeat and wearing an employee name tag.

Yup, service.... when it still actually meant something.

So...

How is it that back then a small time business operation (or a large one for that matter) could afford twice the employees on their payroll without going bankrupt within a few months ?

Afterall, businesses and corporations were still paying the lion's share of federal tax revenues back then (25-35% compared to today's 7-9%) with very little loopholes available to them (tight regulations were still in play). And minimum wages and increases were still pretty much on par with annual inflation rates, which meant it was a livable wage for someone working fulltime (basic necessities - shelter, food, utilities, etc).

Imagine that, twice the amount of people with jobs earning a livable minimum wage. *gasp*

So...

What's wrong with today's picture ?

Anyone still thinking the economy isn't heading towards a massive implosion ?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I hope the robots will have freckles, pig tails and red hair.
Wouldn't be Wendy's without them.
My local store couldn't do worse for messing up orders.
I can't recall the last time they got mine right.
Hot and Juicy now with shiny chrome!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

And I've also noticed not ONE teenager working at Wendy's or Taco Bell in the last 2-3 years. Where are the teenagers working these days?

No different than gas stations and other jobs that used to be worked by teens. Filled with folks that need that check and seniors that should have retired.

Thanks Obama.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Meh, the grocery industry already tried that with those self checkout lanes everyone hates. Ultimately, you have a combination of both now. And how many employees does any given Wendy's have working the registers at any point in time? Two at max?

This will fail.

ETA: I'd bet most corporate fast food chains have looked into this regardless of the horrors of having to pay employees better. Always looking for ways to pay those CEO's a few million more per year....
edit on 12-8-2015 by usernameconspiracy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join