It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendy’s To Switch To Self Ordering And Automation To Avoid $15/hr Wage hike

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
www.bls.gov...

summary
education=less than high school
work experience in a related occupation=none
^^^^^why it is not a 15 an hour job

work.chron.com...

Many fast food workers are high school students because the industry doesn't require much in the way of formal education or experience, and offers plenty of part-time positions. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics notes that around half of food service workers were employed part time in 2010

so around 50% were definitely not working those oh so long hours
edit on 11-8-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Mugly, I thought you told me you were against a $15 a hr min wage because you barely make above $15 now, and that most of your crew would quit their jobs for a relaxing life of burger flipping.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Sounds like yet another big government failure.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
a reply to: Gryphon66

maybe you should read my post.
i do know what i am talking about.
what fast food workers why of management are putting in 40 hours.
i worked fast food for a year when i was 16.
not since.

my father in laws wife works at mcdonalds. she works like 25 hours a week.

show me these long hours please cause i am not seeing it.

how many fast food workers work 40 a week?
how many under 30? i bet more than the ones who work 40

those are not long hours and youre the one that brought that up. it simply is not true.

as far as automation. the atm works quite nicely for me. use it all the time.
much prefer that than waiting in line for a teller

Sadly, I have read your posts.

You favor your beliefs over facts, and you enjoy anecdotal evidence more than actual statistics.

You're a perfect right-winger.

We're done here. Enjoy your ranting.

Hope they automate your job soon and when they do, remember this conversation!

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

Mugly, I thought you told me you were against a $15 a hr min wage because you barely make above $15 now, and that most of your crew would quit their jobs for a relaxing life of burger flipping.

i never said i was barely above 15 now.
i said i am against it because of they deserve an increase of nearly 100% then i want the same for myself and everyone at my company.
i also said if this wage hike happens i will do my best to organize that with the people i work with.

i might have said some of the people would quit to flip burgers for 15.
there are some guys at my foundry that have hard ass positions and they make just under that or exactly that. i could see them leaving if they could make the same and not have to be on the furnace all day.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Sounds like yet another big government failure.

In the sense that the corporations run the big government, or try to, absolutely.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

feel free to post some facts to back up YOUR claim of the long hours they work.
or not.
i dont care
i favor what i believe cause i know what i can see with my actual eyes.

im not too worried about being put out of a job for automation.
i guess it could happen but not likely.

even at the end of the automation right now, there is my team at the end of it, doing out job.
so, yeah

it could happen i guess.
not really something i worry about.

so whats up?
you are the one that said they work long hours.
where are the links and facts to back that up?
i think management might work some 40-50 hour weeks but i dont think the grill guy or the dude on the register does.
feel free to prove me wrong though. i have been waiting for it.
i even took a quick look myself. i came up with a link saying about half the workers were part time..
so there is that
edit on 11-8-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Pretty much.

There aren't enough 50-$120,000 a year jobs for the population of America. There are going to be people working low-paying jobs, but apparently these people don't deserve to have some kind of basic quality of life. We're supposed to treat them like the 'untouchable' class in India or something.

We have the money, technology, medical knowledge and resources to provide a basic "bottom floor" for everyone without cramping anyone's style that's in the upper tiers of society. We can, but we don't and won't. Why?

I think part of it is our need to feel "better" than other people, our selfish need to have someone beneath us to compare ourselves to. We want to think we're better off than someone else, as that satisfies some kind of insecurity we have about ourselves.

When we're fine and dandy, no one else matters. Who cares about those people? I'm doing fine, right? The problem is -- those people make our lives possible. Those 'untouchables' that mop our floors, clean our toilets, cook our food, stock our shelves are inextricably tied to the entire machine we're also a part of.

We live in a global village these days. If a village in China collapses and it's workers aren't at the iPhone plant, shipments are delayed. The Apple Stores don't have product and sales slump. Investors take their money elsewhere. We're all tied together in one way or another.

And isn't it the right thing to do? Isn't the Christian thing to do? How would a visiting alien species judge us based on how we treat our lower classes?

We don't live in caves anymore, we don't put the weak onto ice bergs and push them out to sea. We've overcome so much from our primitive past, and yet we continue to shame the poor, elevate and worship the rich. We stand on each others heads, kicking everyone else's teeth in -- all for the off-chance we can grab a slice of the 'good life' for ourselves.

But I wonder...if that 'good life' means standing on the backs of the disadvantaged and underpaid -- is it worth it?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

So others should not get a living minimum wage because your company under pays its workers???

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i know a lot of guys at my place that would leave in a second if they could make 15 at mcdonalds. some of the positions on the production side start out at 14 an hour. we are talking about working near induction furnaces. lead particulates in the air. # like that.

Edit: It seems your talking low skills and poor working conditions plague the company you work for.

edit on 11-8-2015 by AlaskanDad because: as stated

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I hope this isn't too much of a tangent, but in the early 90's there was a "test store" in Corpus Christi, Texas with the Whataburger franchise. Large dining room, automated ordering kiosk. You placed your order with the machine and swiped your card, the order went to the cooks immediately and you were assigned a number to take with you to your table. A waiter or waitress brought your order out when it was ready. Tipping was optional. I was kinda a broke college kid at the time, but I remember how calm and efficient and happy the employees were. Smiles all around. Great place. These systems CAN work well.

Also, this was back when minimum wage was $4.00 an hour on the high end, and regular waitresses at conventional restaurants made only $2.13 and relied mostly on tips. Tips from hardworking blue collar folks who generally don't know or don't have the extra cash to give a waitress at the end of the meal. I've served entire families of 15-plus people with high demands and constant maintenance for a $1 tip at the end of the whole ordeal.

Maybe we're moving forward with automation, and taking the stress of customer service off the front end.....one of my best friends works for 5 Guys up in Ohio, and he absolutely loves making food for people....he just hates the customer interaction part at the register because - well - ask anyone in food service in retail about dealing with the general public.

If we keep the automation portion to the ordering and payment options, I see no reason the rest of the service interaction can't run smoothly. I did several fast food jobs back in the day and yeah - running the register was the most stressful thing any of us had to deal with.

Eliminate that stress point, allow the workers to focus on their task without having to adjust everything for the complexity of human encounters and you'll have a less stressed, more laid back and focused work environment.

In theory....I'm sure human will find a way to screw this one up too eventually.
*sigh*

edit on 8/11/15 by GENERAL EYES because: spellin' ...gotta mind that grammar

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

So others should not get a living minimum wage because your company under pays its workers???

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i know a lot of guys at my place that would leave in a second if they could make 15 at mcdonalds. some of the positions on the production side start out at 14 an hour. we are talking about working near induction furnaces. lead particulates in the air. # like that.

Edit: It seems your talking low skills and poor working conditions plague the company you work for.

i didnt say that.
what i said is if they get(deserve) the massive pay hike then i along with others at my company do as well.
should it matter to them if they get it?
as long as they get theirs right?

and as to your edit.
it depends on your position and what department.

we do pretty well in quality. the machine shop pays well. cmm guy does real good.
hell, the cleaning lady makes 13 an hour.

some of the guys on the furnaces that have not been there that long dont make 15 but they can get there fast.
i think the vertical side starts at 14 but they get hikes at 90 and 180 days with the amount based on merit.
the guys in the die shop so pretty well.

it just depends. i think the shipping department does better at the start than the furnace but not as well as quality.

the short of it is it is not the same across the board for everyone. each department has a minimum start but depending on your qualifications you go higher.
it is not a huge foundry. the quality department is me, another guy and our boss. the other guy in my department makes a bit bit more than me but i just started with the company. he has been there about a year but he has NDT certs and is a six sigma green belt.

there are other benefits(what i consider benefits) with the company.
they have a killer match program for 401k
pay is bi weekly and each pay period earns you 1.5 hours paid time off that you can use whenever you want in increments of .5 hours.
each month is you work your 8 hours all 5 days of all 4 weeks you get a $50 bonus.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Back when I used to frequent downtown Dallas a few years ago, there was a Jack in the Box off I35E and Mockingbird that had a self order machine. Pretty much replaced all the cashiers. Haven't been back in a long time so I dont know if it's still there.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I see your argument, and I kind of can empathize.

I mean, I'm not rich and living high and mighty, I could really use a few dollar an hour raise too! Realistically, despite my ranting about a livable wage, I don't think increasing the minimum wage will do that. It'll promote anger and jealousy from people making a little over minimum wage, and now these people will feel like they've actually LOST value.

Everyone needs to have their wages adjusted for inflation, but that'll never happen. All of our buying power is less than it was even 10 years go -- by a long shot!

And in the end the people making the profit will move their shells around to figure out how to keep their margins the same. They'll either increase their prices, cut jobs, whatever -- they'll keep making as much profit as they always have with a mim. wage increase.

There's got to be a better, more comprehensive solution.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

When we're fine and dandy, no one else matters. Who cares about those people? I'm doing fine, right?

i will be straight up. i know im a dick for this but yeah, pretty much what you said.
i dont want bad things for other people. i am just more worried about good things for me.

i like to debate different topics on this boars and a couple others because it is relaxing. i dont get much time to talk about such things during the week.
just being honest.

when i say those fast food jobs dont deserve 15 an hour it is not because i want people to be broke or on the struggle. i just honestly dont feel those jobs are worth that money.
some of it is selfish i suppose. i struggled when i was younger.
i put i the long hours. the hard hours and the dirty work. it took me a long time to get the qualifications under my belt. nothing was given to me cause i felt i deserved it or i bitched about it.

i feel that if i can do it then others can too.
i know there are people out there that truly have no other options other than say wendys. based on where they live and what is around. i get it and i do feel bad for them.

i also know that a good deal of adult fast food workers are lazy and dont want to put the time in and work in a foundry or a mill.
when these debates come up people dont like to mention those people though.
its always about the worker that wants to do more but cant.
i get that
there are people out there that want to work as little as possible. they want as little responsibility as possible.
young and old alike.
there are people working fast food with a crazy work ethic. of course i am not talking about them.
then there are others that are the type that are late all the time. they call off. they can not be depended on.

those are the people i have an issue with making that kind of money.

i know there are cities and counties with not much work to be had. i also know what i have seen over the last 5 years or so. at this company and my last.
people want the check but dont want to do the work.
guys that come in and last a week if that. guys that are calling off on their 2nd day.

i suppose a lot of my outlook on this is my attitude but i form my opinions on what i see.
at my last company everyone in my department did real well but we busted ass. it was not uncommon to work 65 hour weeks. it was not uncommon to walk to the time clock at 4 on friday thinking we had the weekend off only to see the sign saying mandatory 8's on saturday and sunday.
of course we did it and made good OT doing it but it takes its toll.

so i see people like the guys i worked with grinding it out and tearing their bodies up. yes, it was a choice. yes we all could have left. we all chose to stay cause we have responsibilities and people that depend on us.

it is hard to accept people demanding 15 an hour wages for entry level stuff.

i dont know how else to explain it. right or wrong. if it makes me a jerk....
its how i feel.
my opinions are based on my experiences and based on what i have seen.

thats my take.
no apologies for it.
some people think i am a dick....that is their right. it is what it is though.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

And I've also noticed not ONE teenager working at Wendy's or Taco Bell in the last 2-3 years. Where are the teenagers working these days?

I don't know, but with jobs being moved overseas, adults are forced to take what is available - positions like fast food. This is why there are wage increases. Those who work at fast food could be supporting a family and be full-grown adults. It used to be that teenagers took those jobs and could afford the lower wages, but not as much these days.

Fast food is a career these days. Other jobs have been moved overseas.
edit on 11pmTue, 11 Aug 2015 19:27:13 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Everyone needs to have their wages adjusted for inflation,

There's got to be a better, more comprehensive solution.

i agree to both.
i wish i had a solution.
i just dont think raising fast food salaries or minimum wage to 15 is the answer

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Thanks for your honest reply. . .

Can I ask though ... are there that many foundry and metal working jobs? Are there many manufacturing jobs anymore? Construction?

It sounds to me like you and your coworkers ought to be paid more for what you're doing, as I was making $13/hr as a scaffolder/general laborer on an industrial construction site 10 years ago.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

You could raise minimum wage to $10 / hour instead. At any rate, raising the minimum wage saves the government and taxpayers money because these people will be able to afford getting off food stamps and other government assistance. They will also have more money to spend on businesses, helping the economy.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

You could raise minimum wage to $10 / hour instead. At any rate, raising the minimum wage saves the government and taxpayers money because these people will be able to afford getting off food stamps and other government assistance. They will also have more money to spend on businesses, helping the economy.

Actually, there is a fallacy there.

If someone is making 10/hr, 20K/year, then they're getting upwards to 20K is subsidies.

If they make 30K/ year, they'll actually be at a loss of 10K and will either have to find additional work, or drop to part-time in order to qualify for the 20K in subsidies that they were getting.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Thanks for your honest reply. . .

Can I ask though ... are there that many foundry and metal working jobs? Are there many manufacturing jobs anymore? Construction?

It sounds to me like you and your coworkers ought to be paid more for what you're doing, as I was making $13/hr as a scaffolder/general laborer on an industrial construction site 10 years ago.

yes there are. i know some areas may have a lack of those sort of jobs but there are loads of manufacturing jobs to be had. people always use the excuse that those jobs just are not around anymore. again, i can only go by what i see. there are lots of those jobs. look on indeed or craigslist. pick a random city and check it out.
i see people walking off these jobs all the time. after not even a full week sometimes.
to be somewhat fair, it is hard work if you are just getting into it. you bust ass and you work long hours but you make money. the OT RACKS UP.
i do think we should be paid more but i also think we do well.
the guys on the furnace start at 14. that would be the entry level type position there though. the furnace is small. it is really just taking slag off the top and working a hand control. honestly there is not much work or skill involved in it. it is just hot.
the skill comes before and after.

while some see no jobs to be had i see jobs that people flat out wont do. over and over again over the last 5 years that is what i see.
that is why it is a revolving door. once a guy makes it past say 2 years he is probably going to be there a long time.

just in my area there are # loads of jobs and not enough people to work them.
3m has been hiring pretty much non stop for the last year.
hiring operators right now and starting pay is 20.17 an hour.

some people dont believe it but manufacturing is still a huge industry in this country.
if you have any sort of related certifications you can make some serious money.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join