It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendy’s To Switch To Self Ordering And Automation To Avoid $15/hr Wage hike

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

These jobs are designed as stepping stones, not careers.

Perhaps that was the reality 20 years ago...not today. Career jobs are increasingly hard to come by for a number of reasons.

What I wonder...when the cash for food stamps runs out...and these unskilled and minority workers can't find anything to do to feed their families, what do you think will happen then?

I've been saying this for years, but I'll say it again...we need to start thinking about an entirely new economic model. Automation will very soon be able to replace...well, pretty much anybody. With the advent of AI, (when..not if)...a good 90% of the workforce will be obsolete.

This is going to have HUGE ramifications for society....and not for the better.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
... and when the market speaks and Wendy's sees their profits drop massively because machines don't provide the same service level as humans, perhaps they'll recalculate the margins and change their minds.

We'll see I guess.

(You guys really are funny crowing that "you saw this coming" LOL. If you're that good at prognostication, play the Stock Market.)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Published: May 6, 2015 7:47 a.m. ET

Fast food burger chain Wendy's Co. WEN, -0.92% reported on Wednesday a first-quarter profit that fell to $27.5 million

27 million for 1 quarter. Yeah, low paid workers are really killing that profit.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm all for higher wages cuz I know that it's nearly impossible for someone to live off of $10 an hour when they are single, let alone someone with a family. This is poverty and I know first hand, but there is no way our economy can handle a wage hike to $15 an hour for all biz. If I had to pay someone to help me work my lemonade or tee shirt stands in the summer time at $15 an hour I might as well pack up and go home and forget about it. I need two workers at some times and that would be $30 an hour...just not worth it and I know for a fact that a majority of small businesses across America will have to shut their doors if this wage hike were to happen. Only the big dogs can afford this type of hike. Business will just raise prices anyways and then what's the point...now the cost of living just went up and we're back in the same boat. I know that I myself would have to raise prices in my stands and then people wouldn't buy anyways because of the sticker shock! Either way, small business folk like myself would be doomed. It sucks because I know millions of Americans are suffering and deserve much better wages, I just don't know what the answer to it is because this would surely be the death of Main Street America and the only survivors would be the Walmarts of America, who would simply raise prices anyways right after the last of their small town competition closes their doors.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

I'm all for higher wages cuz I know that it's nearly impossible for someone to live off of $10 an hour when they are single, let alone someone with a family. This is poverty and I know first hand, but there is no way our economy can handle a wage hike to $15 an hour for all biz. If I had to pay someone to help me work my lemonade or tee shirt stands in the summer time at $15 an hour I might as well pack up and go home and forget about it. I need two workers at some times and that would be $30 an hour...just not worth it and I know for a fact that a majority of small businesses across America will have to shut their doors if this wage hike were to happen. Only the big dogs can afford this type of hike. Business will just raise prices anyways and then what's the point...now the cost of living just went up and we're back in the same boat. I know that I myself would have to raise prices in my stands and then people wouldn't buy anyways because of the sticker shock! Either way, small business folk like myself would be doomed. It sucks because I know millions of Americans are suffering and deserve much better wages, I just don't know what the answer to it is because this would surely be the death of Main Street America and the only survivors would be the Walmarts of America, who would simply raise prices anyways right after the last of their small town competition closes their doors.

Why wouldn't a wage increase be accompanied by tax and other incentives for small businesses?

Why does everyone assume that this measure would only be one-sided?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

GOOD

The faster this happens the better.

They will be forced to deal with the economy instead of being able to ignore it.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Automation will be short lived, because it will prove more expensive to maintain and people just want to be "served" by someone that cares....or should anyway. Imagine a bar without a cute barmaid or waitress. ..no thanks

first, they dont care.
second, i dont want to be served by someone who cares. i want to be served by someone(or some machine) that gets it correct. that is far more important

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Wendy's is getting some labor for free from the U.S. government - there's a fellow I know who's slightly retarded, and the government pays Wendy's to employ him and pays his salary without his knowledge. He'd get the money anyway, but they make him earn it without knowing that he's earning what's due him anyway. He thinks he's working there for his wages from Wendy's, but they are fully subsidized. The rub: they call this fellow in on his off days on a regular basis. The other employees skip work or don't show up, they call this guy, and he's proud of the work he does and goes in every time. Works six day weeks, although most of that at long-hours part time. They use him like a literal wage slave without it costing them a cent.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
How about rich corporations settle for less profit. Oh right, the stock market driven by them helps the rich get even more money at the expense of the poor. Greed is destroying the country.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
... and when the market speaks and Wendy's sees their profits drop massively because machines don't provide the same service level as humans, perhaps they'll recalculate the margins and change their minds.

We'll see I guess.

(You guys really are funny crowing that "you saw this coming" LOL. If you're that good at prognostication, play the Stock Market.)

and what service level are you talking about.
oh you mean the people that barely acknowledge you exist when you are in front of them and would rather interact with the person behind them about whatever they feel is important.

i dont think i have ever been served by someone who cares when i go fast food.
i dont pay to be served with care.
i pay to be served quickly and correctly

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

So technology is replacing the fast food worker. Isn't this the buggy whip argument?

Technology is getting better and cheaper as time goes on, if we don't hike wages these jobs will still be gone in a few years. It's not an argument against keeping a minimum wage that is too low.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Automation is an obvious reaction to increased costs to anyone with basic understanding of economics... no surprise. Another example of progressivism getting hit with a dose of reality.

I've asked the champions of these increased wages... Is it better to have 10 employees making $8/hr or 5 employees making $15/hr?

The other result of increased minimum wage is that those with the least skills will be shut out of the lowest rung jobs - minorities and teenagers. If I am a business owner, why hire a teen and train them at $15/hr when I can get an adult?

These jobs are designed as stepping stones, not careers.

5 employees making $15/hour is better. With 10 employees making $8/hour you have 10 people who are dependent on a wage subsidy in order to get by, and 10 people with subpar living arrangements. If it's 5 and 5 you have only 5 people who are dependent on a subsidy and you have 5 people that get adequate living arrangements.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I keep seeing the proponents talk about the BIG BAD business CEO who is paid a large wage to do what the SHAREHOLDERS (Owners) of said corporation want. If the CEO does not do what the shareholders demand, they get replaced.

If you are angry that your salary is crap and their salary is good, study to do their job.

If you want to really have the government fix the problem, then eliminate taxes for the poorest portion of society. Then maybe the consequences to business will not create blowback like they are now. Just eliminate taxes for anyone making below $20.00 per hour and then maybe things would be better however i am guessing that some will still blame the business and not the paid for elected officials.
edit on 11-8-2015 by notmyrealname because: below

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Sorry to hear your experiences aren't satisfactory.

Do you think that you speak for everyone everywhere? We are talking about a nationwide industry, not to belittle your anecdotal evidence, per se.

Perhaps you should, I dunno, avoid fast food if you don't like the service?

That would also be the market speaking.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Two different convenience store chains in my area have interactive screens to order your food. They have people behind the counter making the food to order.
Upside to interactive food ordering, you don't have to deal with a moron reading from a script.
Try this out sometime. Walk into a fast food chain and tell the person at various points that the order is 'to go'. When they get to the part of their script where they are supposed to ask you if the order is 'for here or to go', they will ask you the question anyway.
Then you can tell them that you have already answered their question three times... and they will look at you as if you just hopped out of an alien spaceship.
It has happened on my last three fast food trips with my children.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Automation will be short lived, because it will prove more expensive to maintain and people just want to be "served" by someone that cares....or should anyway. Imagine a bar without a cute barmaid or waitress. ..no thanks

That is what the people that hand made cars said.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Seeing the comments here, I can't imagine why fast food workers would have a less than favorable attitude.

Low pay. (So low that they have to be subsidized by taxpayers to make ends meet)>

Long hours.

Mind-numbing repetitious work.

Customers who think they are idiots and treat them as such.

Who wouldn't be excited about that job, eh?

/eyeroll

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Seeing the comments here, I can't imagine why fast food workers would have a less than favorable attitude.

Low pay. (So low that they have to be subsidized by taxpayers to make ends meet)>

Long hours.

Mind-numbing repetitious work.

Customers who think they are idiots and treat them as such.

Who wouldn't be excited about that job, eh?

/eyeroll

Look, if you are a full grown adult and the only thing that you can do for a living is ask "do you want fries with that?"
you are a failure of epic proportions!

Rant away however it is the truth.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

i dont want to be served by someone who cares. i want to be served by someone(or some machine) that gets it correct. that is far more important

Far more important.
Getting it correct is a fairly rare occurrence with fast food orders, in my experience.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Yep. There are "incentives" from the government to hire people like that.

The Burger Kings here were always really dingy and fully of scary looking employees. I came to find out that the owner of all the local franchises was getting some kind of subsidy or tax break for hiring people from the halfway houses.

Not saying these people don't deserve a job...

And I've seen special needs people working these types of jobs on occasion too. I wonder how badly they are taken advantage of? Does anyone do welfare checks to make sure these people aren't being unwittingly taken advantage of?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join