It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendy’s To Switch To Self Ordering And Automation To Avoid $15/hr Wage hike

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This is what happens when unskilled workers start making demands. Take note...don't make demands when you can be replaced by a trained monkey.

yup.
so not only are they not going to get the 15 an hour they dont deserve in the first place, it looks like some will be out of a job all together.
good call on the demands

if youre going to make demands in the workforce you should probably make sure you are not expendable/

the thing about these jobs is the company can fire everyone that works there and then hire a full staff and have them functioning the same damn day.
maybe one day they will learn.

gain some skills and get a better job with better wages
or
bitch and demand things then be replaced
hmmmmmmmmmmm

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Who are all these automated services supposed to serve if everyone is out of a job?

That's what I want to know...

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The easiest way to raise wages is to stop importing unskilled labor. Progressives can't have it both ways. You can't say we need to raise wages, but then continue to advocate for importing more cheap labor which puts pressure on wages at the low end.

There is a McDonald's in downtown Chicago. The Rock N Roll McDonald's. There must be 20-30 employees in it at any given time. Pretty much all of them are adult hispanics and most barely speak english. In the past, a large portion of these jobs would have gone to teens.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

The old saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" needs to be rephrased:

The squeaky wheel gets replaced... (I've been saying this forever btw).

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Who are all these automated services supposed to serve if everyone is out of a job?

so some fast food workers are out of a job means nobody is gonna be able to buy burgers and fries?
i dont understand that but ok

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

What's going to happen when even the people making the lowest wages can't afford the burgers they cook?

How can entire industries make a profit when only the very top of the pyramid has enough money?

See, the base of the pyramid is being robbed of stones...it's simply not sustainable.

Automation has always happened. People will have to be educated. More countries will make college free or low cost, sort of like how high school was made free or low cost to increase opportunity.

College is the new high school. They will find ways to make it cheaper. Online college degrees might become more popular.

BUT people like you still have a point and it's this: What if automation exceeds our ability to keep pace with it? We can only spend so much $$$ on schools. People can only learn so much after X years... There has to be enough productive working years to pay for the schooling years.

And if virtually everything is automated or otherwise replaced by AI then what purpose do humans have? What value?
edit on 11-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Traditionally, and still secretly conservatives love undocumented immigrants because of the cheap labor. It boosts their profit margins. Even small time Mom & Pop operations can have a lower overhead due to illegal immigrant workers.

We need to enforce immigration policy before we start talking about building the "Great Wall 'O America" (with a door).

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

It's a pyramid. Those people are on the bottom and there are more of them. When you rob from the bottom to build the top, you can't sustain it forever.

You can't keep taking Jenga blocks from the bottom of your stack and add them to the top forever. The wealth that's been flowing upwards for over 30 years can't continue to keep doing what its doing -- it's not sustainable. The entire system will eventually collapse.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The easiest way to raise wages is to stop importing unskilled labor. Progressives can't have it both ways. You can't say we need to raise wages, but then continue to advocate for importing more cheap labor which puts pressure on wages at the low end.

Really. Perhaps you should look at who supported the TPP and the cheap labor forces in Asia and which party predominantly stood up against it.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated

Traditionally, and still secretly conservatives love undocumented immigrants because of the cheap labor. It boosts their profit margins. Even small time Mom & Pop operations can have a lower overhead due to illegal immigrant workers.

We need to enforce immigration policy before we start talking about building the "Great Wall 'O America" (with a door).

I agree, the RINOs who are bought by the Chamber of Commerce certainly support the importation of cheap labor. This is one of the major issues dividing the party right now. Democrats just see illegals as a new block of voters.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal

originally posted by: Edumakated

Really. Perhaps you should look at who supported the TPP and the cheap labor forces in Asia and which party predominantly stood up against it.

truthinmedia.com...

The grand poobah in chief likes it.
edit on 11-8-2015 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

eh.
still plenty of people are going to be buying food from wendy's.
i think wendy's will be in better shape all around.

not only are they not going to pay then 15 an hour. they are also not going to pay then the 8 an hour they make now cause theyre out of work and on top of that, no more free food for those employees.
most fast food joints give you a lunch when you work x amount of hours in a shift.

another plus is maybe now my food order will be correct.
wins all around.

maybe people will learn to stop bitching and figure they cant just demand the wage they want.
just cause grill man thinks his work is worth 15 an hour does not mean he is

i worked fast food when i was 16. first job.
by the time i was 17 i had figured out that the money was not in that and i needed to gain some skills.
so i did.
they can too
edit on 11-8-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Probably the majority of people. most people are not unskilled workers or unemployed.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Probably the majority of people. most people are not unskilled workers or unemployed.

right?
the people that make 15 an hour at a job that is worth 15 an hour will still need lunch.

i dont get it.
the theory is since the lowest paid workers are soon to be paid nothing, there will not be anyone left to buy bugers?
hahahahah

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well now the Unions will have to figure out how to organize automatic workers.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
With todays cheap consumer based, patented technology, I hope they break down or glitch alot after a few hours, and pay some technicians steak for a couple of years.

Also, if minimum wage goes up, wouldn't that make a maximum wage go down some what, since they gotta use a few extra cents or dollars? Like I wouldn't feel as rich if I didn't get a pay increase too.

edit on 11-8-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

And I've also noticed not ONE teenager working at Wendy's or Taco Bell in the last 2-3 years. Where are the teenagers working these days?

I can answer that....they aren't. Along with 94+MILLION other Americans...but hey...everything is awesome. Given that Wendy's made $2.45 BILLION dollars last year...I can see where they are coming from.

Times be hard when you're an executive trying to buy that 3rd vacation house.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Just going to say that I called this as soon as their mandatory wage stuff started.

edit on 11-8-2015 by notmyrealname because: image

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Saw this coming. You cant double the cost of the wages for the company and expect nothing to happen. So either cut personnel or the burgers are now $12. Pick one.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Automation will be short lived, because it will prove more expensive to maintain and people just want to be "served" by someone that cares....or should anyway. Imagine a bar without a cute barmaid or waitress. ..no thanks

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join