It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volkswagen Utilizes Sexual Harassment to Sell Cars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Volkswagen has launched a sales campaign called "Old Wives Tales" that, undoubtedly, utilizes sexual harassment as a pitch. This campaign opens the door for sexual harassment of ALL Volkswagen employees.

In this one, this creepy old lady wants "a deal" and makes a sexual gesture as she presses her finger against her lipstick laden wrinkled lips and then presses that finger to her salesman's lips! Of course, because the customers is always right, "It's quite alright", according to Volkswagen's spokesman, as the old lady licks her lips YUCK!

"Do you come here often?"

Do you like "Cougars"?

"We need mouth to mouth resuscitation! Hurry Up!

The "Rear End Event"

"What kind of car you like, new or MANY miles on her?" SHIVER! The way she exhales the word "her" makes my skin crawl!

Can you imagine if these commercial depicted a 60 year old man trying these lines and tactics on a 22 year old salesperson?

It's 2015! We've come sooooooo far in combating work place sexual harassment! But these commercial are taking hard earned victories and are setting us back to 1950 standards!

Sex sells? THIS IS NOT SEXY! In this old lady's humble opinion, of course

/RANT

edit on 11-8-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
You can laugh it these ads or consider the scenario of 3 old men treating a young sexy women this way. Sorry kids, can't have it both ways.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It's an ad campaign - and humorous. Take it for what it's worth, or don't.

Be offended if you must, but just because you don't find humor in something, doesn't mean it's not funny - nor does it mean you have any right to censor said content.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Don't tell the rest of the planet what to do - unless you're God himself. [and can unequivocally prove it.]

edit on 11-8-2015 by BlackboxInquiry because: (prove it)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
You can laugh it these ads or consider the scenario of 3 old men treating a young sexy women this way. Sorry kids, can't have it both ways.

Exactly!

You can't have it both ways. Either it's okay to sexually harass or it isn't.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Come now, lets's be honest with ourselves. This isn't about sexualisation or harassment. You're only disgusted because she's old. If they were the same age, it would just be another 'sex sells' promo gimmick and you wouldn't care less.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Ad execs don't care about Political correctness or censorship. They can't wait to violate both as much as possible. Even if you hate the ad, they win.

See? We have Volkswagen ads running on ATS.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

You're only disgusted because she's old.

I'm disgusted because it puts that young man in a very uncomfortable position by his employer. I'm disgusted because if a co-worker or a customer actually DID act that way, they could/should be fired or asked to leave.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Considering you're thinking and taking about this ad campaign, plus posting the videos to it, it would seem that the ad campaign worked successfully.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

That's not the point. The point it, it's using sexual harassment to sell cars. Do you think that we should condone sexual harassment in the work place?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
You know the rules,

Only men can be sexist
Only men can be the butt of jokes
Only men can be portrayed as stupid

There will be a test later so don't forget...

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
You know the rules,

Only men can be sexist
Only men can be the butt of jokes
Only men can be portrayed as stupid

There will be a test later so don't forget...

Sarah Palin has been the butt of many jokes and deemed stupid more often that most.

Your argument is specious based on the above.

The most sexist movement I know of is the new age feminists...

& nobody holds back or is politically correct in stating that fact either.

So again, pretty specious.

Unless of course you were joking.

Forgive me for that, but a lot of serious things are said in jest.
edit on 11-8-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'm an over 50 female and I have changed the channel when these ads came on. Watching the driver sexually harass the salesman is just gross! I think the ad is meant to be funny but it isn't funny at all.

Sal

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
They can harass me all day if they would go back to putting vr6's in gti's.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I guess I should have added an asterisk

*unless they are republicans*

There, that's better...

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SallieSunshine

I'm an over 50 female and I have changed the channel when these ads came on.

Me too. 60+ here.

These ads, probably written by men, were probably designed to target us old ladies, though! Epic fail, on that angle.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I think it's funny but, I have a warped sense of humor...
Sex sells.
Hannah w/Direct TV
the Burger King Commercials
Victorias Secret
on and on...
I hope I'm frisky when I'm an older woman...
The salesman isn't my type but to each their own...

The bartenders in my town are quite attractive also...wouldn't seem to matter selling alcohol as everyone knows everyone gets prettier at closing time.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I think you - and many others - take the world way too seriously, and that's the real problem. For decades people have cracked jokes or pulled pranks at others expense. People get way too upset when they're the topic of a joke nowadays. Sometimes a joke is just a joke - it doesn't have to mean anything.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: SlowNail

You're only disgusted because she's old.

I'm disgusted because it puts that young man in a very uncomfortable position by his employer. I'm disgusted because if a co-worker or a customer actually DID act that way, they could/should be fired or asked to leave.

I'm too lazy to research it - chances are it's actually an American advertising company - but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some German or other European company behind this idea...mocking the general stick-in-the-butt'ness of Americans.

It's not disgusting. It's humour. Some people LOVE this kind of humour. You clearly don't. I bet a lot of people find your sense of humour terrible! Cool eh? We're all different people. I think the majority of people are wise enough to know this is a joke, and they enjoy it for what it is.

Next someone will complain that other VW ads mock German accents in a disrespectful way, or Victoria's Secrets ads are shameful to the Chinese silk industry.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Harassment?

Perhaps, but you would be really surprised at the number of young men that really like older women.

Sexual barriers are breaking down. If it's ok for senior men to date young women...goose/gander.

edit on 11-8-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

If it's ok for senior men to date young women...goose/gander.

Sure, I agree 100%. But, that's not what, seems to me anyways, was going on here. This was taking advantage of the sexual vulnerability of a young person you was trying to make a sale. And, then the one where the women were harassing a potential buyer, with rear end cat calls. He didn't seem to be asking for it, either, imo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join