It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shouldn't it be "REJECT Ignorance"??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Naturally, this has been bugging me for years. Considering ignorance tends to come hand in hand with denial (within many of the big topics in this site in particular), it could be argued that "denying" "ignorance" would be an oximoron given the easily interpretable usage of "denial of" "ignorance".

Following the logic of this dichotomy, using "Deny Ignorance" as a slogan well, follow the logic.

REJECTION of Ignorance now that a clear one sided concept that truly promotes the dissolution of ignorance in the quest of knowledge. No?
edit on 11-8-2015 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
"Denying ignorance" is supposed to mean the same thing as "rejecting ignorance".
My understanding has always been that it's "denying" in the military sense, as in "denying ground to the enemy".
Stand firm against it, refute what it says.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Deny is actually a stronger word. I can reject a lot of things, big and small that I don't like. If I am to deny something, I am to deny it's very existence. I can reject peanut butter as I don't like it. I don't deny it's existence, though.

I can deny hate and discrimination though..to the point that I will not participate in it and I will deny respect of those that do. I will actually in some cases deny the existence of those that participate in such things.

In regard to conspiracy theories, that is an ongoing 'deny ignorance' discussion. It really has no end and the good part about it is to disseminate good information to the populace hidden by the government.

'Reject' is not really an ongoing discussion.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
As Ace Ventura so in-contextually put it: "Denial can be an ugly thing"!

In the rejection of something, the overall jist of it can readily taken as granted without much internal conflict. While to Deny can mean the denial of (the existence of) etc we could probably gather this possibility of via a standard Hooked On Phonics course. Simply put, there's this inherent ambiguity of context that comes with the word "Deny", that it doesnt inherently exist otherwise.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Here, we have ongoing discussions, though. Point blank reject...think of a big red 'reject' stamp...isn't going to work.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

can it not be re-worked though?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

to what?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Aye, ye do not messeth with perfection. "Deny ignorance" has many overt and subtle meanings, a very apt slogan for this site which, we must admit, has its share of ignorance (myself included).

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Reject is a synonym of Deny. I agree with reldra in regards to how using Reject is more about stifling conversation. Whereas Deny, seems to promote conversation, which then would lead to the denial of the ignorance presented is said conversation. ?

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Yep. I always thought it should be that and that Deny Ignorance sounded weird.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

to what?

to an OK condition, sorry, its the Engineer in me

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Are we not all Ignorant to some degree?

How does one know one is ignorant if one is indeed ignorant?

I think it comes from the saying wisdom is knowing that you know not.

Regardless of the fact that Donald Rumsfeld was part of the 911 atrocity, and the idea was not his own to begin with but originated from NASA... the one speech that rings true and is proof that true knowledge transcends the person saying it...

The Knowns...

edit on 11-8-2015 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The ambiguity is part of the fun.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
There's this fitting definition of "deny" whic appeals to me:

deny oneself (something); restrain, especially from indulging in some pleasure

Where in any definition of "reject" is this found?

Rejecting something which is... natural or pleasurable to me? An extra helping of pizza? An extra verbal attack on a hated yet already defeated opponent? A higher wage above and beyond what's deserved? Nay, I do not reject a further helping of pizza, I deny it! It's an act of courage and vehement determination. I will not succumb to self-indulgence! And yet the urge to break my self-imposed rules is always present and eager.

Reject doesn't leave room for fault. Deny acknowledges we're fighting something--especially a desire--we sometimes fail to defeat. It's an ordeal. It's an uphill climb without end.

Come all!!! YOu know what I'm saying!!! Denying ignorance means a lot of work and strain. It means unwinding and deconstructing our perspectives and opinions and rebuilding them in the image of truthfulness. It's exhausting. The temptation always is to surrender to the tiredness and only seek out those things or people who support our perspectives and opinions.
edit on 11-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

You're absolutely right. But on the other hand, this site is filled with idiots who will deny that they are ignorant, so in a way, the motto fits.
edit on 11-8-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: ignorant typo

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'm with the OP completely. It's an odd-sounding expression, possibly sounds more fitting to an American ear than it does to other anglophones like me.

The better word is reject.

But what the hell.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Following the logic of this dichotomy, using "Deny Ignorance" as a slogan well, follow the logic.

I agree with you.

The slogan actually makes me think of Orwellian doublespeak or doublethink – like saying war is peace and expecting people to go along with it.

posted on Nov, 29 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about”.

Connect the dots
edit on 29-11-2015 by Layaly because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join